PDA

View Full Version : Memories

Fuji Abound
11th Oct 2005, 21:26
Memories - I did my renewal recently. The instructor had been teaching for years and after a very enjoyable flight together started recounting a few of his early experiences. In particular he recalled a time when you thought nothing of pitching up at Gatwick (unannounced!!) And them fitting you in for a circuit or two between the commercial traffic (doubtless a lot less at that time). I am sure he even mentioned something about the odd take off from the taxi way if the wind suited and things were a bit quite!

Only a week later a charter pilot I met in L2K who seemed to have been around since the dawn of time got chatting about the early years of transatlantic operations. He recalled how the aircraft at that time rarely returned home without an engine failure. Then there was the new pilot who announced mid Atlantic (doubtless with a slight quiver in his voice) that he had an engine fire. An American crew in the opposite direction called up and told him not to worry the engine will drop of shortly. Sure enough it did. The bolts were designed to melt with the heat - a safety feature to prevent the fire spreading! True or not - I wonder? It certainly must have added to the comment in his log book - lost an engine!

My point is I am sure there are a fair few on this forum who might recount the odd memory of the earlier years of flying be it light aircraft or even things a bit heavier (to which us piston engine pilots can relate because everything was piston in those days). It is interesting to see how flying has changed over the years and dare say how the regulations, safety considerations and general increase in volume of traffic have impinged and what we can (and cant) do. Maybe your memories only go back ten years or so but I bet you have seen some changes?