PDA

View Full Version : Landing in a field

chippy63
11th Oct 2005, 14:19
Just curious. A helicopter landed in the field next to our house near Winchester last Sunday. What the ANO requirements are in terms of landing near fields with livestock or horses or near houses? I looked up the CAA website to look at the regs but couldn't find anything relevant.

N Arslow
11th Oct 2005, 14:29
Private work - land owners permission plus suitable for landing (size, slope etc.) or various other regs for other operators (police, HEMS etc) which vary for day/night/uncongested area/non-congested etc.

blade771
11th Oct 2005, 17:23
Commercial ops require land owners permission and in most cases are meant to inform the local police - depends upon the task as to whether single or multiple movement.

chippy63
12th Oct 2005, 07:34
Thanks, NA, blade.
it was a multiple- landed, picked up a passenger, took off, returned after about an hour, dropped pax, and took off again . Mrs c was told yesterday that the pax had won the flight in a lottery.

bullshitproof
12th Oct 2005, 17:24
Sounds to me chippy that you are a guy who likes to see everybody doing it buy the book, maybee your a bit chippy in real life hu.

SilsoeSid
12th Oct 2005, 18:23
Not another case of NIMBY or the little green man on the shoulder eh chippy! looked up the CAA website to look at the regs but couldn't find anything relevant. Should read, had a quick gander and couldn't find anything immediately with which to report him for.

2 minutes found;
LASORS 2005 Safety Sense Leaflet 17B General Aviation Helicopter Airmanship.

3.10 Destination

a. Check for any special procedures due to activities at your destination, such as parachuting, gliding, microlighting etc. Use the UK Aeronautical Information Publication (UK AIP) or other Flight Guides including NOTAMs and Temporary Navigation Warnings, etc. to find out where the helicopter operating area is located.

b. If your destination is a private landing site, the surroundings may be very different from the licensed aerodrome at which you learnt to fly, or from which you normally operate. The final approach and take-off area should be at least twice the length of the helicopter including rotor blades. There may be hard-to-see cables or other obstructions in the approach path, or hills, trees and buildings close to the site giving wind shear and/or unusual wind patterns.

c. Try to chose a landing site where you can use the recommended profiles, but if that is impossible consider:
• a check out with an instructor or someone who knows the site well, or
• a check from the ground of the potential problems associated with different wind directions, or the reduced climb on a hot day.
Always minimise the time that the helicopter is at greatest risk from engine failure.

d. In a helicopter, you cannot just land anywhere – you need the landowner’s (or his Agent’s) permission. This also applies at strips and most aerodromes, where Prior Permission is Required (PPR).

;)
SS

edited to remove the bit that said, look in the ANO yourself!

headsethair
12th Oct 2005, 18:38
What the hell is this place ? Are we here to assist idiots who can't download a copy of the ANO in order to research a possible offence ?
Chippy - go do your own dirty work. For lawd's sake - are you one of those who goes round making sure the speed cameras are working ?

Most animals don't give a hoot about helicopters.

Why don't you head out to Asia and do something useful with your life ?

Farmer 1
12th Oct 2005, 18:59
Hedsethair,

Give the bloke a chance, for goodness' sake. He's "just curious", has a look at the regs, can't find the answer, so he thinks he'll ask them as might know. If you don't feel like answering, go on to the next post, no need to lose your hedsethair.

As to Most animals don't give a hoot about helicopters. Is that a light blue touchpaper job?

Be positive. Think CRM.

inflow-777
12th Oct 2005, 19:18
Well said bull****proof, SilsoeSid, headsethair.

Farmer 1,
How do you know he's "just curious"? do you know him/her? Soon we'll only be able to land at airfields, then we won't need helicopters.

Thomas coupling
12th Oct 2005, 19:26
Thats the beauty of helos, chippy. Land almost anywhere with the land owners permission.

Enjoy!

DBChopper
12th Oct 2005, 23:30
...and the beauty of Rotorheads is that you can ask a simple question without a thousand screaming responses...

...seemingly NOT!

:hmm:

headsethair
13th Oct 2005, 05:49
But, DB, it wasn't a simple question. The detail was lacking and unless he/she has a picture of the incident how can anyone make a judgement ?

Presumably if you were the pilot of the "multiple landing" (er - that appears to be twice in a short space of time) helicopter you'd want an accurate report and analysis ?

I just don't think a public forum is the place to collect evidence against a fellow pilot.

The complainer, according to profile, is a chairman banker. He claims to be a wine enthusiast - but both descriptions might contain typos.

bladewashout
13th Oct 2005, 06:35
Headsethair:

Most animals don't give a hoot about helicopters.

I think the Northants air ambulance might dispute that - I hear one keeled over and died on them recently when they landed nearby, and another owner threatened to sue because of an injury to another! :ooh:

Threatening to sue an air ambulance could backfire if you ever needed them at the same location..... it's reasonable to assume that the location would not blacklisted by their insurers

BW

DBChopper
13th Oct 2005, 09:34
headsethair

The complainer, according to profile, is a chairman banker. He claims to be a wine enthusiast - but both descriptions might contain typos.

:ok: Now that's more like it - I always prefer the humorous PPRuNe approach.

But, DB, it wasn't a simple question. The detail was lacking and unless he/she has a picture of the incident how can anyone make a judgement ?

But your first comment raises a fair point so, Chippy63, be straight with us then. What was your motivation for asking the question. Are you a pilot, fixed wing or helicopter (your profile doesn't mention it)? Do you have an interest in aviation? Was your post purely to look for ammunition as a result of this helicopter disturbing your peace?

helicopter-redeye
13th Oct 2005, 09:44
Most Bank Chairmen I know are quite rich. Perhaps he wants to buy a helicopter (so there could be some work in it for somebody ....)

h-r:)

rotorboater
13th Oct 2005, 12:51
Hey Chippy, according to your profile you are from France, where abouts in France is Winchester, I can't find it on my map!:p

chippy63
13th Oct 2005, 13:06
Some of you kind folks might take remedial reading and anger management lessons- headset in particular. Such venom, such spleen! You should go and sit in a dark room until you feel better able to face the world. Some questions as to your ability to function under stress as PPL(H), perhaps.

The initial phrase, " just curious" means precisely that. I had no intention of reporting anybody, and, no, I don't go round checking on speed cameras, quaint idea as it may be. As to going to Asia, been out there for 10 years, Middle East for 4, great suggestion, but already done it. Had a ball, maybe you should try it, headset?

What a number of the replies do bring out is, what a touchy bunch rotorheads are; is it an inferiority complex, I wonder? Or is it because some of you do perhaps occasionally flout the ANO? Just kidding.

To answer DB's question- flying scholarship at school, UAS, some single and twin flying in Canada when I worked there, about 550 hours in total. Close interest in all aspects of aviation. If I wanted "ammunition" for a complaint, I wouldn't expect to get it from a rotorheads forum. And thank you for your moderating comments.

Bull****proof (h'm, I wonder)- chippy63 comes from learning to fly on the Chipmunk in 1963. In life, I am truly serene.

Redeye- some bank chairman are well-paid, some are rich, and some are both. I would say that I'm in the first category; I suspect you need to be in one of the other two to have a helicopter.

Well, that's quite enough fun and excitement for one day- I'll check back in a couple of days.:ok:

Rotor- ever considered the possibility of working in one place and living in another?

helicopter-redeye
13th Oct 2005, 13:27
I suspect you need to be in one of the other two to have a helicopter.

Merely a question of asset finance. One of your departments can advise further perhaps ;)

h-r:)

chippy63
13th Oct 2005, 13:40
True, but asset finance has to be serviced, and I can't see Mrs C taking kindly to the idea, she always seems to have somewhat different ideas when it comes to spending priorities.

Thomas coupling
13th Oct 2005, 17:37
Chippy - excuse my learned friend, he's had a bad day.

Your query was fine, just fine. Fire away with any other Q's you have.
Most of us are here to assist the lumpen proletariat:oh:

blade771
13th Oct 2005, 17:59
Chippy, for no more than your curiosity!! Any more than 10 movements from any one site in 24 hours constitutes multiple landings i.e. 5 landings and 5 take offs. After this number of movements (public transport aircraft / operators) are required to provide full fire fighting facilities (RFFS). Private Cat don't have to bother.

As for animals, any low level stuff has to take these into consideration - plenty of problems with the CLAIM everything and anything nature going on!!

headsethair
13th Oct 2005, 19:05
Dear chippy,

My thanks for your comprehensive analysis of my mental health. It seems to me that you have a problem reading - you only read between the lines, not the actual lines themselves. Hence, you missed my humour and my suggestion that your time might be better spent helping Asian earthquake victims.......you seemed to think of Asia and the Middle East as some sort of playground.

Perhaps that's why you, as a pilot since the 60s, cannot find what you need on the CAA website. I promise you that a few minutes, and even fewer clicks, will elicit not only the Air Navigation Order CAP 393, but also guidelines, in the CAA's Safety Sense leaflets, for helicopter pilots. You could also look at the BHAB website which will show you how to safely construct and operate your own landing site.

There are those who suggest that too much banking can be bad for you. Be careful.

Southern Cross
13th Oct 2005, 20:11
Which neatly provides a forum for me to ask for clarification as to whether or not Rule 5 applies for a helicopter landing at a private site. For example landing in your mate's house and not only are you within 500ft of his house but you must fly within 500 ft of a neighbouring house. Presumably since you are landing or take-ing off, Rule 5 does not restrict you?

And before i get nailed... i am asking as a fixed wing PPL who has just had his first lesson in a Bell 47 and is completed hooked already.

Cheers, SC

Thomas coupling
13th Oct 2005, 21:38
It does NOT apply.

Farmer 1
14th Oct 2005, 08:35
I sit to be corrected, but I believe the rule spefically does not apply for take-offs and landings, otherwise we'd never be able to get up into the air, or maybe back down onto the ground.

helipaul
14th Oct 2005, 15:05
got my first interview with off shore next week , all sounds a bit doughting:{

MightyGem
14th Oct 2005, 19:44
Most animals don't give a hoot about helicopters
Don't you believe it!

Sheep will usually move away(in a bunch as you would expect), at varying speeds.

Cows will generally ignore you if not too close, but young ones can get a bit skitish.

Horses are by far the worse. Unless they are used to helicopters, they will generally go crazy, and will easily crash through a fence to get away. Avoid them like the plague.

chippy63
15th Oct 2005, 20:47
Squirrel,There's a funny thing, most of my pilot and ret'd pilot friends, civil and mil, do use pprune. Bit of a message for you there, maybe. And, yes, some of the more helpful brethren have more than answered my question. To them, greetings, to the rest of you,....
n

Jed A1
16th Oct 2005, 00:27
Most animals don't give a hoot about helicopters

Watch out for dogs .................. especially on a Saturday night ;)

The four legged variety tend to try run at and try to chase the helicopter away. I had one barking and jumping at the tail rotor once. I couldn't get airborne quick enough. Oddly enough the owner (of the four legged dog) didn't seem phased at all.

bullshitproof
16th Oct 2005, 09:01
"Ah" now all becomes clear 10 years in the sun.

Billywizz
19th Oct 2005, 21:25
Mightygem

re sheep

I started up in a field that had a bit of a slope on it last summer.
After a couple of minutes I was surrounded by a complete white semi circle of sheep with little black faces staring at the heli about 50 yrds away. You never have that camera when you need it.

XT244
19th Oct 2005, 23:38
A camera is part of the MEL :ok:

http://www.ils-online.ch/cgi-bin/album/data/media/44/small109_0976.JPG