PDA

View Full Version : ATC Visit ?

alexmac
9th Oct 2005, 17:33
Hi All,

After flying [Grob Tutor] today over Liverpool with 10 Air Experience Flight and passing LPL Tower, it triggered my mind about visiting.

Having wanted to be an ATCO for 3 years or so, I joined the air cadets to get on RAF bases and cram in as many visits to air traffic as possible - so far that has produced two excellent visits - one to Leuchars, where I had the chance to say a few words to a Tornado F3 on talk down, and one to Odiham.

I have an interview for RAF 6th form sponsorship for air traffic and so I think it would be good for the interview if I was able to show my interest in being an ATCO by doing one or two more visits. Living in Liverpool I am within reach of Liverpool aerodrome & Manchester ATCC - do any of you guys know who I would contact to try to arrange a visit to either or of above?

What I would ideally like to do would be to visit Woodvale Air Traffic as it is military base manned by Civilian Air Trafficers - i'm lead to believe - is this right?

Cheers
Alex :D

radar707
9th Oct 2005, 19:40
Ring the tower at Woodvale and ask to speak to a guy called Adam Simpson who I believe is (or was) teh deputy SATCO, he should be able to help you out with a visit, he was on my course and a good bloke and I'm sure he'll sort you out and explain the inticacies of the world of Air Traffic Control

JJJ3
11th Oct 2005, 22:08
yes I agree, ring the tower at EGOW and talk to adam or indeed carol the new boss. If you still have the number for anywhere at woodvale they will give you the tower extension. Dont worry about the grumpy one , his barks worse than his bite!

alexmac
11th Oct 2005, 22:18
Cheers for the replies guys - it was a stroke of luck that yesterday we had an RAF Plt Officer who's been based at Woodvale for a while and has said he'd try and get a visit to ATC sorted for me :D

Was pure coincidence but very welcome - more visits I can get into any air traffic units the better it will look for my application form ;)

Thanks again ref Woodvale guys, much appreciated