PDA

View Full Version : Headset Compatibility (or lack of)

Human Factor
9th Oct 2005, 13:44
I recently bought a Pilot 17-79 DNC XL headset (the rechargeable ANR one with everything built into the headset rather than a separate battery pack) to find out that it doesn't appear to be compatible with any other type of headset. There is a horrendous crackle on the intercom (in various Warriors) when it's used with Peltor, Softcomm, Airlite and DC (those are the only ones I've tried it against).

It's going back tomorrow in exchange for something else (probably a large cheque) but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Ta.

Flap40
9th Oct 2005, 15:47
Never had a compatability problem with mine. Works ok with Telex, DC, Peltor, Senheiser, Bose etc.

Human Factor
9th Oct 2005, 16:05
Is it more likely to be a compatibility problem with the aircraft intercoms do you think? Not sure of their makes but they're not all the same.

Any ideas?

IO540
9th Oct 2005, 16:08
I used to have a 17-79 and while it seemed to work alongside others, it occassionally emitted a high pitched whistle.

Also, its noise reduction was poor. I sent it back to the mfg in the USA and they said there is nothing wrong with it! They even sent me graphs which showed exactly what I suspected! Eventually, after about 30 emails and faxes, I managed to return it to the aviation ship (in the USA too) where I bought it, for a refund.

A lot of the adverts for this headset, notably certain ones by a well known pilot shop, quote misleading attenuation figures (about 20db too high).

I think it's a pile of junk.

I use a Bose X but, 5 years later, there must be better stuff on the market by now, at the same price.

Either yours is faulty (tried it in another plane?) or the intercom is duff. Most spamcan intercoms are primitive designs which don't have a separate amplifier for each headset output.

Mark 1
10th Oct 2005, 12:53
A certain retailer at Biggin Hill offers a headset matching unit that allows you to adjust output and gain.
I've no experience of them, but it sounds like it may be an option for you.

Human Factor
10th Oct 2005, 14:00
Exchanged the Pilot (and some £££) for an active DC this morning. Will see what happens....

dublinpilot
10th Oct 2005, 15:09
Which DC model did you go for?

Lister Noble
10th Oct 2005, 15:44
I am learning to fly and have borrowed several makes of headsets from the club,I found the Peltor set to be the most comfortable and also had good sound quality.
A pal has lent me a brand new Pilot17-79 DNC set and I have been using these for several weeks,I find the sound cancelling excellent and flew for some time in a Hindostan Pushpak (Aeronca type)yesterday,it was quite noisy and it was really noticable when I switched the noise cancelling off.
I am learning in a PA-28 and the Pilot set seems to work very well in that.
My preference to date would be a noise cancelling Peltor set but I'm not sure if they make them?
Lister

Human Factor
10th Oct 2005, 18:47
Which DC model did you go for?

The H10-13X ENC. Tried it this afternoon on the aeroplane and it was crystal clear and surprisingly light weight. It also seems very well made compared to the Pilot. No problems whatsoever and I couldn't believe how quiet it is. I use Sennheiser ANR sets at work which aren't bad but this is the best I've tried.

The only down side (and to be fair, it's very minor) is it requires a battery rather than being rechargeable like the Pilot - oh yes, and the extra £130!!!;)

A and C
11th Oct 2005, 06:49
Problems of this type are usualy down to the aircraft intercom, modern intercom systems (Garmin ,PS engineering,Sigtronics & late King) can handle most headsets.

The problems arise when people try to cheapskate by using the radio audio amp as an intercom to try to save money.