View Full Version : TORA requirements

CUNIM
9th Oct 2005, 13:29
Currently involved in the very early stages of a development at an airport. We have no problems with the financial, operational or technical aspects of the airside, viz RFFS requirements, Pavement strengths, radar, ILS etc. BUT I do need a very rough idea of requirements for departures of A320, B737 types off roughly 1500m TORA and B757,767,777,747 off 2200m runways. at sea level, no significant obstacles on departure. Loads from 1500m runway up to 20 tonnes plus fuel for access to N. Europe, say 2.30hr duration. For the 2200m runway, need up to 50 tonne load with fuel for E Coast USA. All loads cargo no SLF.

Downloaded data from Boeing site but not enough time to really analyse the graphs. No luck with Airbus even in the CAA library. I know there are multi variables, but this is to get an idea of need to extend the runways - a finger in the wind job.

Runways at sea level - not measured the threshold level differences or longitudinal slopes - doing that this week. Ambient temps for the south UK.

Grateful for any info.

(Website link removed)

GlueBall
9th Oct 2005, 14:36
2,200 meters pavement is inadequate for 747 operations across the pond unless you plan to operate at 50% payload. In fact, any pavement less than 2440 meters is impractical reality for 74s.

CUNIM
9th Oct 2005, 19:48
Thanks Glueball, that is what I thought. 3000m seems the thing.

john_tullamarine
9th Oct 2005, 20:33
Don't have the doc to hand at the moment but the FAA has a useful AC in the 150 series which provides the sort of information you appear to be seeking.

CUNIM
10th Oct 2005, 12:03
Thanks for that John T, useful site. By your name you were/are located there, I was in Essenden then Tulla at the start in the sixties.

john_tullamarine
10th Oct 2005, 21:09
Have had an office in the Tullamarine area since the early 70s. It may well be that we have said g'day across the table either at EN or ML, or both, at some time(s) in the past. I first moved to Melbourne from Sydney just after the airport opened for business.

Glad I could point you to a useful URL.