PDA

View Full Version : I can't get it up

Monocock
8th Oct 2005, 08:18
Can anyone with some meteorological knowledge give me a rough idea of what has kept me grounded for three whole days now?

This clag is ridiculous.

One can't even go for a 510 foot chug:sad:

BEagle
8th Oct 2005, 08:26
Autumn?

Monocock
8th Oct 2005, 08:31
Excellent BEagle, excellent.

Was wondering if there was a physical explanation for the fug. Winds have been above 10 kts and it hasn't suddenly dropped or risen in temperature. Someone asked me the question yesterday and I couldn't give them any kind of answer.

Perhaps I need to book myself on to Simon Keeling's weather weekend course

effortless
8th Oct 2005, 08:54
Well I am shocked and horrified, it's been CAVOK where I was in the south of France for weeks.:p Did a lovely little bimble the other day up over the Gorge du Verdon. It was magnificent. Still now I'm back in good old blighty it looks a bit low outside. Still I'm not getting off the ground for a while so it doesn't matter.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Oct 2005, 09:01
It's commonly referred to as anticyclonic gloom.

From http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

anticyclonic gloom" for many areas of the UK. It's hard to believe that above your head is only around 200ft of thin cloud, above that, blue skies and sunshine.

The change happens overnight tonight. A cold front which has been hanging around the North-west is about to have two short wave troughs run into the back of it causing it to eventually start moving South-east.

The front will bring rain to many areas during Saturday, however it probably won't reach the far South-east until late Saturday evening.

Behind this, a very active area of developing low pressure. This system will push into the far North-west during Sunday with gales, perhaps severe gales in local areas. This combined with heavy rainfall across North-western parts will provide hazardous conditions for a time.

G

DubTrub
8th Oct 2005, 23:52
510 foot Sounds OK to me! What are you after? 80,000,000 miles of cloud base or wot?:O

High Wing Drifter
9th Oct 2005, 06:26
I can't get it up
Shoulda stuck with the name Duo'; a bit of systems redundency for failover, what.

Looks like luvly morning. No excuses :D

BTW, a nice looking new mount. What type is it?

Monocock
9th Oct 2005, 07:20
Hi HWD

Not sure really, I just liked the colour scheme:D

(It's a '46 Taylorcraft):ok:

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2005, 11:02
I think they call it "dag" in Norfolk.

Good for growing mushrooms though - picked about 3lbs these last few days ;)