PDA

View Full Version : Checklist use

Captain Smiley
7th Oct 2005, 16:17
How does your company use their checklist?

At the company I work for it is not clear in the SOPs and crews have different techniques on line. Asking training captains gets different answers as well.

Some pilots memorise the checklist and then just leave it sitting on the panel infront of the throttle quadrant. It cannot be easily read from that distance but they prefer it be on the correct page.

Some do a flow and then refer to the checklist. Others only move a switch when they come to a particular item.

I would like to put forward a proposal to our Chief Pilot for a standardised technique but would like some input first.

We operate a 2 crew turbo prop.

Henry VIII
7th Oct 2005, 18:38
Hi Smiley,
the check list are minded to verify the correct execution of the basic survivival items performed during the normal operations.

In my company the PNF take the plastified list in hand and read carefully step by step each item. The PF (on some item both PF & PNF) reply in the coded way (I mean using the coded word(s)).

I my experience this is the correct use of the C.L., any shortcut introduces risk of mistakes.

We follow the basic Airbus SOP and chk-list, anyway each single company can costumizes the proper one, subject to authority approval. Generally the changes philosophy is affected by various situation i.g. the crews experience average, the number of monthly flown legs, the operating environment, the crew composition, etc. etc.

Fly safe...
Henry

Gulfcapt
8th Oct 2005, 00:17
Hey Smiley,

There are two basic methods of checklist usage - "do list" and "checklist." Either way is okay so long as the method is consistent throughout the fleet. If the training capt's have there own methods, it sounds like the standards department has some work to do.

NASA has done some great research on checklist format/design and usage. You might be able to google it. Otherwise try the US Gov't Printing Office website.

Best,
Jim

Dream Land
20th Oct 2005, 03:07
Capt. Smiley,

Our airline uses a combination of the two methods mentioned by the Gulf captain, in my limited experience checklists are not memorized, our procedures have triggers, the triggers initiate flows, then we use the checklist to verify, however our securing checklist as well as our evac are READ and DO, so a combination of both types used.

D.L.:cool:

738Capt
28th Oct 2005, 23:40
Check lists are standard on large aircraft and small.

The more complex the checks that have to be done the greater the need for check lists. I use them as a check against forgetting an item.

Most pilot use a left to right, top to bottom, check of the overhead panel, front panel for each part of your flight including;

pre-Startup
Startup/after start
taxi
pre-takeoff
after-takeoff
cruise
decent/approach
landing/on final check
taxi
engine shutdown

Old Smokey
29th Oct 2005, 05:39
I think that Gulfcapt 'nailed it' best. My company's policy, which closely follows Boeing, puts Check Lists into 3 categories -

(1) Normal Routine procedures (Example pre-flight preparation). These are accomplished from memory, and verified as having been actioned from a step by step Check List upon completion. The memory items, such as cockpit set-up are usually well aided by a good company provided flow chart / panel scans etc.

(2) Emergency Procedures (Example Engine Fire). These contain some memory items because they MUST be actioned immediately, and a number of non-urgent follow-up items. The memory items are accomplished from memory, and then the check list is used, item by item from the beginning, first to verify that the memory items have been accomplished, and then as a 'Read and Do' sequence to accomplish the follow-up non-urgent items.

(3) Non-Normal / Abnormal Procedures (Example Generator Failure). As non-urgent items, there is no requirement for the pilot to have memorised the particular items, and the Check List is used as a 'Read and Do' sequence to accomplish the entire procedure (Still a good idea for the pilot to have, in advance, a good general knowledge of what the Check List will achieve, and it's operational implications).

As a (sadly) historical record, Douglas separated Urgent from Non-Urgent procedures by using a 10 minute criteria. If no significant harm could befall the aircraft by inaction within 10 minutes, then it was a Non-Urgent procedure. Anything requiring action in 10 minutes or less was an Urgent procedure.

Regards,

Old Smokey