PDA

View Full Version : Importing and aircraft ?

Aerodynamisist
7th Oct 2005, 12:08
Just curious about the legalities of importing an aircraft
disregarding the problems of ferrying or crating an aircraft into the country what paper exercises need to be completed to get the aircraft on the register and what are the pit falls ?

I'm assuming GST would be payable on the aircraft and a fresh 100 hourly would need to be performed for a fresh maintenance release ?

What time is ECT?
7th Oct 2005, 20:02
www.dtiaircraftsales.com

Good reputable company who are next door to us. They frequently import/export aircraft and know what they are doing.

ECT?

Aerodynamisist
8th Oct 2005, 07:59
Thanks ECT but I was thinking of sorceing the aircraft in the states and doing the work myself to keep costs down.

gaunty
8th Oct 2005, 09:39
Aerodynamisist

A bit of free advice mate, if it's your own money and going to be your own aircraft then by all means have a crack at it and have some fun, but I gaurantee you wont save anything and it will most likely cost you a fair bit more than if you have a professional looking after you. There are more potholes and pitfalls on that road than you can count.

On the other hand;

If it's somebody elses money then good luck and I hope you keep your job and whoevers money it is, as a friend.
I see your profile says Chief Pilot.
My money says stay as a Chief Pilot, keep your job and your friends and hire someone who knows what he is doing.
I gaurantee it'll be cheap at twice the price and you'll have someone to shout at when it gets hairy, as it will at some point.

Colleague of mine lost 3 aircraft in Katrina all ready to go in the crate, sure insurance will pay for the aircraft but not the $60,000 in other costs.

In over 30 years I've never seen anyone "save" themselves money in this fashion, with most losing heaps or winding up with a hangar queen.

You may come out square with the game at the very best.

You wont get any advice from me, for no other reason than unless I know exactly what you are doing where and with what, I'm only guessing and if you act on it or don't get it quite right you will lose time and money.
If you want reliable and accountable advice then you will have to pay for it.

I am no longer in that business but there are many reputable people who are and they are not hard to find.