PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Races

ozplane
7th Oct 2005, 10:04
Just a quick heads-up that the Longleat round of the Red Bull air race is on Channel 5 tomorrow at 1335. Should be a good reminder of a terrific day out. Personally I think they are all mad but what do I know?

stue
7th Oct 2005, 17:14
Cheers! DVD recorder is now set!:ok:

AerBabe
7th Oct 2005, 19:50
Can anyone tape this for me? I'm working tomorrow and my video isn't recording for some reason... :confused:

DRJAD
8th Oct 2005, 13:37
Just had the misfortune of seeing a little of this programme.

I'm full of admiration for the skills of the pilots involved, and the manoeuvrability of their aircraft.

The programme presentation, though, was execrable. Ghastly, brash, thudding soundtrack, and a commentary which was even worse, full of mispronunciations, etc..

I shudder to think what impression a member of the general public will gain of GA, etc., from this. (I know it is not an activity representative of GA as a whole, but our distinctions are not congruent with those made by the populace at large.)

We had to turn the progamme off after only a few minutes, in defence of our eardrums!

ozplane
8th Oct 2005, 14:32
I think you have missed the point here DRJAD. The whole exercise wasn't aimed at the "done it all before" brigade that haunts these forums. It was a brand new idea for a brand new audience that likes noise, colour and spectacle and by and large couldn't care less about how things are pronounced. At that level it was a huge success. Try and get tickets for next year. You will be amazed I promise you. Did you try the round knob with "Volume" on it to adjust the sound? It works on my set.
BTW Aerbabe I tried to tape it for you but something didn't work via my Freeview box. Apologies.

AerBabe
8th Oct 2005, 14:49
Ah well, thanks for trying. :ok:

DRJAD
8th Oct 2005, 14:54
I'm afraid I did see that particular point. I simply discounted it, though.

The impression I gained was that the noise and hectoring tone smacked of the most brash kind of advertising.

My particular point, in reference to the visual content of the programme, upon further thought is that, whilst the pilots' skills are admirable, the presentation was repetitive, and of insufficient interest to compensate for the noise, or retain attention without a (literate) narrative.

Perhaps being there is different, and more interesting. Though only tolerable if there be no loudspeaker bellowings, etc..

(By the way, I am not of the 'done it all' brigade. I possess a licence, it is true, but I have not experienced aerobatics, or air racing, as spectator or participant. This programme, therefore, was my introduction to that aspect of flying. It left me clamouring for no more.)

High Wing Drifter
8th Oct 2005, 15:13
I just watched it and I thought it was fabulous. Skimming over the trees like that at 80 bank angle. Makes me laugh at the amount of concentration I need just to do a glide approach when these guys are on the R/T whilst in the tumble!!

The whole event appears to be very well thought out and executed The TV element was appropriate and very entertaining and with much higher production values than the US import "World Aerobatic Championship" stunt shows.

Aerbabe,
Keep an eye on the Ch5 schedule. These things often resurface a few days later at 01:00am or something.

MichaelJP59
8th Oct 2005, 18:24
I agree; the excitement of aerobatic flying is very difficult to convey in video - they do a good job in a half-hour package. The race format is far more exciting than the usually rather dry aerobatic competition stuff.

It really looks like heart-in-mouth stuff, especially those high-g turns so very close to the ground. Hope no-one comes a cropper as there's not a lot of room to sort the thing out.

Bigears
8th Oct 2005, 21:39
High Wing Drifter,

Thanks for the tip- its on again Monday morning at 00:40.

stue
9th Oct 2005, 09:22
Well, i thought it was grate! its good to see some sort of GA on the TV, even if it is only half an hour or so. And some of thoes moves..... WOW! thats all i can say! Its made me book and aero lesson anway:)

Chippik
10th Oct 2005, 09:07
AerBabe I managed to tape 2 of the races so far and Im trying to tape the rest (just need to watch the Ch5 schedule) If you just want the Longleat race I can see about getting a copy for you.

scrambled
10th Oct 2005, 19:30
DRJAD has a point, the TV coverage is technically lacking. Disappointing, since it is hardly going out live. Contrast this to the superb web coverage at www.redbullairrace.com including excellent webcasts of the all the races. You need broadband, but then I guess that's the audience.

3/4 million spectators at San Francisco and Rotterdam. 250,000 at other events. 60,000 in the UK would have been 600,000 if the venue hadn't been so restricted. Contrast that with the average UK airshow gate when airshows are generally considered to be well attended and popular events.

If it isn't right yet, it soon will be....

edited to correct link........

AerBabe
12th Oct 2005, 09:12
Chippik - I haven't managed to see any of them, for various reasons. I was particularly interested in the Longleat one as my parents live very close by, and we went to have a look while they were setting up for the race.

spekesoftly
12th Oct 2005, 10:09
Great link from scrambled (although you need to delete the comma after .com for it to work). Nice to see the Vixen flying in the Airshow clip (shame about the sound!), and Longleat clips are there for AerBabe.

CH5 are showing Budapest on Saturday 15/10/05 at 13:35 BST, repeated on Sunday at 12:20am.

At a guess, CH5 will be showing the final race at San Francisco on the following week-end.

Sliding member
14th Oct 2005, 05:41
The flying did look impressive but the TV coverage was a bit skimmed over. One thing that got me thinking is where to go if the engine stopped, and landing on the driveway towards the crowd. :eek: Looks like fun though.

bwallis
14th Oct 2005, 09:38
Wow, can I have go ?

stue
14th Oct 2005, 18:26
bwallis, my thought exactley!:D :D :D

AerBabe
16th Oct 2005, 12:52
I managed to watch the Budapest round yesterday. Mr AB and myself were just stunned - not only by the flying, but also imagining the UK authorities' reactions if you asked to do similar in London!

skydriller
17th Oct 2005, 09:25
imagining the UK authorities' reactions if you asked to do similar in London!

I dont see any reason why the event couldnt be held in London over the Thames.... They have an airshow at City Airport every year, the aircraft could be based there. Can you imagine if you could get the aeroplanes to pull up over Tower Bridge, Race past The Dome etc.. Talk about the good publicity that could be created for the City of London - which is to eventually host the Olympics... Huge resident population for the sponsors advertising, plus tourists too...

Alot of people have said the problem with the Longleat event was that access was restricted and although tickets were "Free" that there was a big touting operation mounted.

Just a thought......surely someone could make it work??

Regards, SD..