PDA

View Full Version : Jets into Courchevel

Flyboy-F33
7th Oct 2005, 09:32
Does anyone know if a jet has ever been into Courchevel. Or even better, has anyone ever flown a jet in?

We're having a debate here as to whether it is too short even given the 18% slope.

If jets cant go in, anyone know why not?

Fly.....

Brooklands
7th Oct 2005, 12:35
Depends if you count turboprops or not :D

http://www.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/8/8/143885.jpg

Brooklands

Dr Eckener
7th Oct 2005, 13:24
With 535m would have to be a pretty special jet, with a pretty insane pilot.

bar shaker
7th Oct 2005, 14:10
I think very big flaps and re-heat would be just two of the mandatory requirements for getting in and out again.:uhoh:

big.al
7th Oct 2005, 15:22
Would an Eclipse 500 get in and out of 535m? Their website says 622m landing distance and 657m T/O distance at sea level (which Courchevel certainly is not) but then there is always that upslope/downslope to assist with braking/acceleration.

The photo of that turboprop is awesome...:eek:

eoincarey
7th Oct 2005, 16:22
blimey, I know they say its a STOL, but a Dash 7 into Courcheval???

Crikey, will wonders never cease

ETC

stuartforrest
7th Oct 2005, 17:45
I watched a TBM700 and a PC12 both take off from there within 10 minutes last year while I was sat in the Pilatus bar overlooking the runway drinking a beer in the sun. Now that was special.

I aim to go there in the Bonanza soon but my good lady is not so keen. She would prefer to land further away and drive the rest!

I ache for a TBM. I want to take myself to Courchevel for the weekends.

shortstripper
7th Oct 2005, 17:50
Hawker Harrier?:E

SS

TheKentishFledgling
7th Oct 2005, 22:29
I watched a TBM700 and a PC12 both take off from there within 10 minutes last year while I was sat in the Pilatus bar overlooking the runway drinking a beer in the sun. Now that was special

The pilatus is special, you're right. I think they know it though, charging six quid for a coffee :hmm:

tKF

stuartforrest
8th Oct 2005, 10:00
yes but the coffee tastes good sitting there in the sun looking at the airfield. I dont think there are many views like that in the UK.

Sleeve Wing
8th Oct 2005, 11:22
I may be wrong but seem to remember Mark Hanna took an L.39. into Courchevel for some James Bond movie filming ?

cubflyer
8th Oct 2005, 17:16
The L39 in the Bond film was at Peyrosourde, in the Pyrenees, a much smaller strip than Courcheval, at 5200ft on the side of the mountain, great fun.
But the L39 came in and went by road, didnt take off or land there.

nouseforaname
9th Oct 2005, 13:01
the biggest problem with courchevel is getting the permission to land there. I looked into it last year on this forum and someone gave me good advice.

i think you have to do a few circuits with the instructor there and if you haven't been in there in the last 3 months then your not valid.

Multi engined machines need to have permission from the French Aviation authority to go in there.