PDA

View Full Version : Self-fly from Santa Monica?

weetabix
6th Oct 2005, 21:52
A couple of friends and myself are heading over to Santa Monica in November on holiday, including (weather permitting) some flying.

Any recommendations/advice on self-fly hire from SMO would be really appreciated.

(we've flown in the area before, so no need for general USA flying advice thanks)

Thanks in advance!

atb
Weet

kui2324
6th Oct 2005, 22:19
I've used these guys before Justice Aviation (http://www.justiceaviation.com)

HTH

And have a great trip.

PhilD
7th Oct 2005, 12:53
Me too. I'd recommend them.

Santa Monica is a great place to fly from. So much to see, so many places to go. Have a great time.

weetabix
7th Oct 2005, 20:24
Thanks for the advice guys!

A fellow flyer friend made some enquiries there not so long ago. Apparently getting their flying insurance is mandatory at around $220. Sounded pretty steep to me for less than a week's flying. Did you pay this?

thanks again,
Weet

PhilD
10th Oct 2005, 08:12
No - but I was there a couple of years ago.

kui2324
10th Oct 2005, 08:48
It was this time last year for me - but one of the guys I was with used to work part time as an instructor for them so don't know if that made a difference.

slim_slag
10th Oct 2005, 09:31
Apparently getting their flying insurance is mandatory at around $220. Sounded pretty steep to me for less than a week's flying.

Sounds like the price you would pay for a stdnard commercially available annual renters policy with $5000 coverage for the hull deductible. Insurance is not mandatory in the US and any insurance the FBO holds will probably be there to protect them and not you. So it sounds like their deductable is $5k and if you bend the plane they will come after you to make good.

You need to know about this before you rent and at least make an informed decision on whether to cover yourself or not. All the standard travel insurance policies I have seen in the UK exclude any flying if you are not a passenger, so you are probably also not covered for medical stuff if you get hurt. The good news is an American hospital will treat you in the case of an emergency, the bad news is they will agressively pursue you for the cash and have no moral problems in forcing you into bancruptcy if you don't want to pay it.

weetabix
21st Oct 2005, 17:43
Thanks for the replies!

I'll be renewing my travel insurance with Traffords then (includes renting a/c abroad). Justice it is...

By the way, if you fancy a laugh, check out the SMO-based American Flyers inspirational video:

http://www.americanflyers.net/about/chairman.asp

hilarious!

Cheers
Weet