PDA

View Full Version : Leeds 09/27 Withdrawn From Use

MyData
6th Oct 2005, 21:43
From the NOTAMS:

EGNM
AGA : FROM 05/10/03 12:00 TO PERM C3712/05
E)RWY 09/27 WITHDRAWN FROM USE.

It is discussed elsewhere on PPrune in various forums but thought a short mention here would be appropriate.

For GA aircraft at Leeds 09/27 was a much used runway and now it is no longer to be. The main 14/32 is all that remains and suffers from quite strong crosswinds on some days.

I believe I was the final weekend PPL student at Leeds FS a couple of weeks ago before leaving. Looks like Multiflight might now be put in a tight spot.

Sad day for GA, but I guess LBA needs to expand to gain and grow market share in these days of the loco airlines. Indeed 09/27 will now be used as overnight parking space for the Boeings and Airbuses.

My last experience of R27 was an aborted take off due to failed instrument, this on top of a previous landing with windshear it perhaps isn't such a sad farewell.

Piltdown Man
7th Oct 2005, 09:38
It's not only the private stuff. Rwy 27 was a really useful runway when it was blowing a hooley (is that how you spell it?) for bigger stuff like Fokker 50's etc. (Just like 09/27 at HUY, which we can't use either!).

MichaelJP59
7th Oct 2005, 09:42
That's a shame, we always seem to be reading about GA facilities closing down rather than anything opening up or doing well:(

I'd imagine 14/32 has crosswinds most days there is a wind at all!

G-KEST
7th Oct 2005, 21:15
Very sad news. I well remember Arthur Carvell sending me off on my first powered solo in one of Yeadon Aviation's Tiger Moths in summer 1957 off the grass triangle and quite a few trips up there from Little Snoring in Magisters and Proctors. Most of the latter for the annual competition day between the local club and the Newcastle Aero Club. The overall winner got the "Knight's Gauntlet" and the duffer got the "Black Mark". Halcyon days indeed. Tempus fugit.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:{ :{ :{ :{ ................. and how about a flicked chandelle....!!!!

fireflybob
7th Oct 2005, 23:30
A short sighted decision which must have been taken by a non-pilot!

Sir George Cayley
8th Oct 2005, 19:23
He's ex RAF

Sir George Cayley

G-KEST
8th Oct 2005, 20:05
SGC,
How does that affect his not being a pilot............?????
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: