PDA

View Full Version : ??Converting JAA & FAA Licence to Local Argentine Equivalent??

egld0624
5th Oct 2005, 19:02
Hi All,

I hope somebody could help regarding this issue. There is a strong possibility that I'll be in Buenos Aires for 6 months or so and I'd like to use my current JAA PPL whilst down there to rent light aircraft with a club or school.

I had made contact with the Air Force (as was suggested to me by one of the schools in Bs.As.) All seemed fine, at least on the phone and I was assured I'd get a response if I emailed a request. Sadly, that's where the issue completely stalled. I am still none the wiser... although I did sense life might be easier using an FAA equivalent PPL.

How does the JAA and FAA PPL work in that case for use or conversion to hire an Argentine registered aircraft (Piper/Cessna etc.)??

I would be grateful for any guidance on the issue.

Kind regards,

EG:ok:

P.S. I have tried other forums on this site to no avail.

IO540
5th Oct 2005, 21:08
I know nothing about Argentina but in general most countries of the world (except the "intellectually and morally superior" European ones) operate on FAA licenses.

I'd be suprised if you cannot use an FAA PPL as it is, non-commercially.

Try posting a question in the American newsgroups in Usenet e.g. rec.aviation.misc

Irv
6th Oct 2005, 13:15
I think the word you are looking for is a 'validation' of your JAA PPL for use in Argentianian aircraft. The Argentinian CAA equivalent should have a process for 'validating' your 'foreign' licence for such flights. Try using those words when emailing them.
It's up to each country what their process is for 'validating' a foreign licence. For example, if you went to S. Africa, you'd have to sit SA Air Law and pass a flight test. If an argentinian pilot came here to the UK (assuming the Argentinian licence is ICAO standard) they could fly without extra test or exams, being 'validated' automatically by our ANO.
There will be a process in each ICAO country for 'validating' another country's licence, but the main thing to understand is that it doesn't have to be the same process from host country to host country. It always helps to use the right term though. when dealing with other authorities.

egld0624
21st Oct 2005, 12:39
IO540 & Irv,

Many thanks for your input and suggestions.

Regards,

EGLD:ok: