PDA

View Full Version : A airline pilot flying

ultimatepro63
5th Oct 2005, 15:11
maybe a stupid question but

if a airline pilot has his own plane like a cessna and flies it in his or her spare time will it affect the hours he can fly for the airline:ugh:

3 Point
5th Oct 2005, 16:32
Depends what sort of flyign he is doing. A private flight in an aircraft less than 1600Kg MTOW will count for hours (I think) but not for the duty time. Any "professional flying" public transport, instructing etc would count as would any flight in aircraft over 1600Kg. I think that's the way it goes........

ultimatepro63
5th Oct 2005, 17:05
i mean know his hours will go up in his logbook but will it stop him flying because he will reach his flight duty limit in his airline job

A and C
6th Oct 2005, 07:37
Under I (think 1200kg) flying a private flight will NOT count for the 900 hours a year limit.

However any work such as instruction will count unless it is unpaid.

cubflyer
6th Oct 2005, 19:06
Private hours flown in aircraft below a certain weight (dont know what, but higher than most light aircraft!) dont count towards any flighttime limitations. You can do what you like.
As for instruction, I dont know for sure as Ive never been an instructor, but fairly sure that doesnt count either- I know several part time instructors, who's airlines have no interest in the hours they do, thus it obviously doesnt count in FTLs.
I think even things like joy rides etc in small light aircraft dont count either.
It does count though if someone pays you to fly them around in their King Air etc

mad_jock
6th Oct 2005, 20:46
Under JAR ops any paid or unpaid instruction is counted as arial work and is counted in full towards duty time and rest periods and monthly and yearly flying totals.

The old CAA AOC holders have a different set of rules which allow you to instruct for free. With out it counting towards anything

So if the airline worked for is a JAR AOC holder you can instruct but it goes towards the FTL's if its a CAA AOC you can and it doesn't

Below a certain weight you can do as many hours as you like. BUT if you have an accident at work it can all be taken into account and will be brought up in court if required.

MJ