PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation.

Will Hung
5th Oct 2005, 14:12
I have a PPL friend who hasn't flown for over 3 years. (Don't ask why!) His original flying school says he must revalidate within 5 years of his last flight as P1 or he'll have to do the whole PPL training again. Another school says there is no time limit. Can anyone tell me what the facts are ?

Fuji Abound
5th Oct 2005, 15:11
The first school should do some revalidation work with the CAA because I think they are using the pre 2002 rule book. Mind you even then it was only after 10 years that all the exams had to be taken again.

The second is correct.

Now days it is up to the CFI to determine what retraining is required, and there will be the usual GFT type test that has to be passed after the retraining. Finally the CAA will want to assess your friend's log book and will charge him a fee for doing so. Only then is he fit to fly as P1 again.

Hope that helps.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 16:34
Sorry, none of you have it right! Which idiot flying school gave you such abysmal guidance?

Firstly, what is the expiry date of his licence, not Rating. If it was a UK pre JAR-FCL PPL it will probably be a lifetime licence. But if it's a JAR-FCL PPL, it will only have been issued for 5 years.

Assuming that the licence is still valid, then the SEP Class Rating must be renewed by a Renewal LST. No exams, just whatever training is thought necessary to pass the Renewal LST.

If the Rating was valid less than 5 years ago, the Examiner will renew the Rating immediately after the LST, there will be no fee to pay to the CAA and the only thing which needs to be sent to the CAA is the form SRG 1119. If the Rating had expired by 5 years or more, the renewal would have to be done by the CAA and there would be a Rating variation fee to pay (£70).

If the licence itself has expired, complete the LST as above but send off licence, medical, SRG 1119 and another form (SRG 1102) for licence re-issue (although some dozy Belgranist has incorrectly termed it a 'licence renewal' form), together with the licence re-issue fee (£59).

Will Hung
6th Oct 2005, 16:24
BEagle, thanks for that comprehensive answer. It'll be much appreciated I'm sure. Don't wish to name names though ! Cheers.

terryJones
6th Oct 2005, 19:09
So, as an example BEagle, where would I stand?
My PPL was issued in 89, 'valid for life.
My last P1 (/s) was 15 years ago, although I have had a few flights as PUT in the last few years.
I am 65 years old.

I would need a medical obviously, but are all the ground exams required again?

The 'idiot flying school' was probably doing what I have been led to believe, so that a large number of hours will need to be accumulated and fees for the ground exams collected too. I was led to understand my personal 'best way' would be to go for the NPPL. at least then I will not have to shell out loads of money for the medical.

I do not consider myself 'thick', but I must admit that I have trouble trying to make sense of the regs for revalidation, so I can see where the different concepts come from. (No chance of getting a copy printed in english...)

BEagle
6th Oct 2005, 19:38
terryjones (are you the Python Terry Jones?),

You will need to do the following:

1. Obtain a JAA Class 2 medical certificate from a CAA AME.

2. Do whatever training you need to be ready to take the Renewal Licensing Skill Test for the Single Engine Piston (Land) Class Rating.

3. If you can show (e.g. logbook proof of flying training) that you have exercised the privileges of your RT licence within 10 years following the last date of your licence's validity, then you shouldn't need to renew your FRTOL.

4. You will have to pass.........

......NO PPL exams! Unless, that is, there is some quibble over your RT licence.

5. The Rating variation fee is currently £70. You will need to send your Licensing Skill Test form, medical certificate, the fee and your licence off to the CAA.

6. You may not fly any passnegers until your licence comes back from the CAA and you've signed it!

Enjoy your 66th birthday present to yourself!

terryJones
7th Oct 2005, 10:59
'Morning BEagle.
Do I understand then that the Skills test is different from the old GFT as was?
I will have to sit the Radio exam, as when I took my PPL it was not compulsory.

I will pop over to the Home of the Canberra squadron, it's only 45 mins away, and look at joining there. The rates are very good, and as ex RAF I qualify for membership anyway.

This is the main drawback to this retired game, the hours are great, but the pay is cr*p

BEagle
7th Oct 2005, 15:41
You'll probably have to do both the RT theory and RT practicals, terry.

I didn't think that Bassingbourn was still open....:p

Yes, the renewal Licensing Skill Test is much like the old GFT, although a short VFR navigation leg has recently been included.

Have fun!