PDA

View Full Version : LEEDS

Pages : 1 [2]

MerchantVenturer
30th Jan 2006, 21:52
LBIA, Dec 17 was a Saturday. Given LBA/GVA is daily except Sat when it's double daily and assuming No flight on Dec 25th that makes 17 flights.Ave per flight would be 173 per flight! If however you include the GVA/LBA pax in those figures it would be a more sensible 86. Jet2 may have used a 757 on some flights though.

The CAA figure I quoted is the total for both LBA-GVA and GVA-LBA in December (ditto DSA-GVA and GVA-DSA).

Therefore, if there were 17 return flights in December from/to LBA the average load would be around 86, as you said.

More pax from the LBA area flying to Switzerland probably use this service than Swiss people coming to the UK, so we might assume that for the first few days not many returning UK pax would have used it which would depress the figures a bit anyway: same applies to GVA-DSA.

The January figures will be a better guide to the popularity of these routes.

PTH needs tarmac
30th Jan 2006, 22:14
The figures for LBA and DSA to GVA for December should be treated as not particularly representative of most months. Firstly, the first few days of both services will see poor inbound loads to the UK as most people will go skiing for at least a few days. Secondly, the Christmas/New Year period (no flight on 25th) was very full, judging by the Low Fare Finder reults from Jet2 in early December.

However, if you want the figures, the load factors were

GVA-DSA-GVA (EZY) 62.7%
LBA-GVA-LBA (Jet2) 57.1%

(Mantra - load factor does not directly correlate to yield)

A reasonably fair comparison without the above distortions can only be made with the January 2006 data.

cloudskimmer
30th Jan 2006, 22:23
hi there could any of you based at leeds give any light on what it is like to work for ground operations , hours , shifts pay etc ....
cheers:)

ashmac33
31st Jan 2006, 12:05
Hey cloudskimmer, thomsonfly rep position is a real laugh to work for, in the summer its a roling roster around 35 hours. earliest shift 3am, latest 22.25. Lots of possibilities with this job, as we have a split contract with servisair (airport agencies) we handle all the major tour operators and the thomas cook flights, this means three seperate uniforms haha (mr ben) Good pay, basic is £7.02 with weekend and shift pay allowances. Not forgetting standby on charter flights and lots of sexy cabin crew! :)

ash

Mooncrest
1st Feb 2006, 09:26
Cloudskimmer,

The airport company hires temporary ramp operatives (i.e. baggage handlers) from April to October. Total hours around 39 per week and can include night shifts. Last summer, some temps did bus driving and marshalling as well as baggage. Pay was £6.00 per hour then but I don't know what it is now. I believe details are on the LBIA website.

Good luck.

LBIA
1st Feb 2006, 17:10
Hi

My Travel Holidays / Airours have dropped there planned weekly programme off flights from LBA to Arrecife on Thursdays with LTE, Tenerife on Fridays with My Travel Airways Airbus A320's and the Saturday Alicante by Spanair for next winter 2006/07 season.

Also First Choice have no holidays availble from LBA next winter. So thats the weekly Faro run in April by FCA dropped as well.

Things are not really looking good next winter at LBA.

Saying that Thommos are baseing an aircraft for 4 days between Wednesday and Saturday operating 5 weeekly flights to. Arrecife Wednesdays, Las Palmas Thursdays, Tenerife South Fridays and both Malaga and Alicante on Saturdays.

Don't know what Thomas Cook Holidays have planned yet. Also the roumors have stopped about the proposed Gambia and Egypt services by Astraeus.

RobT100
1st Feb 2006, 21:17
Hi
My Travel Holidays / Airours have dropped there planned weekly programme off flights from LBA to Arrecife on Thursdays with LTE, Tenerife on Fridays with My Travel Airways Airbus A320's and the Saturday Alicante by Spanair for next winter 2006/07 season.
Also First Choice have no holidays availble from LBA next winter. So thats the weekly Faro run in April by FCA dropped as well.
Things are not really looking good next winter at LBA.
Saying that Thommos are baseing an aircraft for 4 days between Wednesday and Saturday operating 5 weeekly flights to. Arrecife Wednesdays, Las Palmas Thursdays, Tenerife South Fridays and both Malaga and Alicante on Saturdays.
Don't know what Thomas Cook Holidays have planned yet. Also the roumors have stopped about the proposed Gambia and Egypt services by Astraeus.

Thomsons a strange one basing for 4 days as I have noted the LPA stops in Jan again, so I am expecting possible changes to their schedule here, so would advise nobody to book a thing.

I also Note that tonights Arrecife arrival has been diverted to MAN - how convenient as that is where it was positioning to anyway (and no other arrivals have had to divert tonight) :mad:

On a positive note i did notice LBAirmail did hint toward Astreaus doing something in Winter 2006/7 with the "ultra modern, long distance 737NG" so dont give up hope there LBIA.

Leodis
1st Feb 2006, 21:47
Thomsons a strange one basing for 4 days as I have noted the LPA stops in Jan again, so I am expecting possible changes to their schedule here, so would advise nobody to book a thing.
I also Note that tonights Arrecife arrival has been diverted to MAN - how convenient as that is where it was positioning to anyway (and no other arrivals have had to divert tonight) :mad:
On a positive note i did notice LBAirmail did hint toward Astreaus doing something in Winter 2006/7 with the "ultra modern, long distance 737NG" so dont give up hope there LBIA.

Yes, lets not give up hope just yet, lets face it, reading between the lines LBAirmail was right about the cancelled Thomson flights. (only an advert for new flights to Paphos). On the otherhand Swefly was advertised there all summer!:O

jswings
2nd Feb 2006, 13:45
The new look Leeds Bradford Airport website has been launched today. The main structure is the same but looks more professional. Visit it today on www.lbia.co.uk :)

LBIA
7th Feb 2006, 17:37
Hi bmi regional have comfirmed on there trade website that they are dropping all services from Leeds/Bradford to Jersey.

Here's the press release.

LBA- JER flight cancellation 07.02.06

bmi regional wish to announce they will no longer be operating any services to Jersey.

Agents who have bookings and passenger will be contacted it they have not already been notified.

If you require further information then please contact the admin team on 0870 2400 206

aeulad
7th Feb 2006, 17:58
This route would suit Air Southwest, Flybe. or Jet2, lets hope someone steps in.

Regards

Mike

682ft AMSL
7th Feb 2006, 18:09
Let's hope we get a similar announcement soon in respect of LBA-ORK. Both routes now firmly sit in the low-cost space so far as Joe Public is concerned and running these under the bmi regional 'full service' banner was/is increasingly a waste of effort. Hopefully other carriers, esp Jet2, have simply been waiting for bmi to walk away before having a crack themselves. Time will tell.

Jet2LBA
7th Feb 2006, 18:18
Air Southwest and it's 50-seat Dash 8's would be perfect for a daily LBA-JER-GCI round-robin service together with a daily ORK flight. People have simply refused to pay £130+ with bmi when you can get ORK and JER services from MAN or DSA (JER only) for £35 return, and who can blame them?

LBIA
7th Feb 2006, 18:52
Heres the full report that has appeared on the BBC leeds website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/4689606.stm

Jersey-Yorkshire route suspended

More passengers are flying from Jersey to Doncaster
Air services between Jersey and Leeds Bradford Airport have been suspended because of a lack of demand.
Airline bmi said there is a possibility it could stop the route completely, although no decision has yet been made.

There have been flights between Jersey and Leeds Bradford Airport for almost 50 years. Airline bmi took over the route in 1993.

Passengers who have already booked flights to Leeds Bradford from Jersey are being promised a full refund.

It was announced last week that 14,000 fewer passengers travelled in and out of Jersey Airport in the past 12 months, compared with figures for 2004.

The airline's flights to Leeds Bradford appear to have been hit by the introduction of competitor Thomsonfly's route from Jersey to nearby Doncaster, which has seen the largest increase, with 42, 318 more people flying than the previous year.

A statement from bmi confirmed the twice-weekly service between Leeds Bradford and Jersey had been suspended for the remainder of the winter schedule from 3 February to 25 March 2006.

It said: "No decision has yet been taken with regard to flights for the summer season.

"The bmi group has enjoyed a long relationship with the Channel Island dating back to 1953 and continues to offer direct services to Jersey from Nottingham East Midlands, Manchester, Durham Tees Valley and Cardiff."

Leodis
7th Feb 2006, 21:36
Let's hope we get a similar announcement soon in respect of LBA-ORK. Both routes now firmly sit in the low-cost space so far as Joe Public is concerned and running these under the bmi regional 'full service' banner was/is increasingly a waste of effort. Hopefully other carriers, esp Jet2, have simply been waiting for bmi to walk away before having a crack themselves. Time will tell.

I don't think it will be long before someone makes a move on the Jersey route. The general synopsis is that the low cost model is the way forward here. Likewise on the Isle of Man route.

Hmm the days of Dan dare!:hmm: when there were several 737-200 departures just over the weekend alone!

Leodis.

GBALU53
11th Feb 2006, 05:45
With Leeds losing the Jersey route that hasoperated for many a decade whould Jet2 look into operating down to Jersey.

We know the figures for BMI have been very poor so this is the reason the route has been stoped.

If it is marketed correctly could it be opened up again.

The one reason of the poor loads relate to the Thompsons operation to Jersey from Doncaster.

The Doncaster flight does not operate every day at the moment so could there be an oppertunity to do a service when there is no Doncaster??:ok: :(

qcode
11th Feb 2006, 11:27
And what was the quote made by the MD of LBA something on the lines of DSA will not affect LBA

Leodis
11th Feb 2006, 22:11
NEW CARPARK EXTENSION
An application for 2222 carpark spaces has been submitted to Leeds City Council.
I cannot see how it can be viable to build many more parking spaces without building up. This also contradicts the airports so-called green management stance, more green fields vannished forever. I am in favour of expansion to facilities but wise, justified and reasoned expansion.
I am pleased that Air Southwest is adding to their alrealy successful operation at Leeds. There is obviously a need for improved links to the South West of England. I would like to think that Flybe will make a similar announcement in due course.

That was back in August. I now understand that plans are now being drawn up for a terminal extension. The top of the long-stay carpark and the short-stay carpark 2 will go to make way for the development.

682ft AMSL
12th Feb 2006, 08:01
And what was the quote made by the MD of LBA something on the lines of DSA will not affect LBA

I think it was along the lines of DSA shouldn't affect LBA's overall growth prospects. I doubt he's going to be revising that view based on the news that bmi have at last fallen on their sword with the JER route. As Inkjet said, the full service Embraer approach to a route firmly established in the public mindset as a 'low-cost' route was always going to struggle. The irony is, most of the competiton came from bmi themselves with WW running low-cost services to JER from MAN, MME and EMA and the rot had set in long before Thomsonfly started up - year on year passenger number in Jan-Apr 05 were well down on the equivalent period in 04 for example. As it was, JER contributed just 13,929 passengers to LBA's 2005 throughput of 2.6m passenengers - about the same number Jet2 handled to AGP in 2.5 weeks lasy summer - hence I suspect there will not be too many sleepless nights at LBA HQ. If anything, bmi moving off of the route (and hopefully ORK too) will open up opportunities for other carriers perhaps better suited to such routes - which may well make the 3m target easier to reach, not tougher!!

PTH needs tarmac
12th Feb 2006, 22:14
I'll agree with you that LBA-JER may be worth a look from Jet2 or someone else. The Thomsonfly figures from DSA to JER look quite healthy, certainly comparable or better than other domestic routes that Jet2 operate.

However, taking a look at the direction of things on the Cork thread on this forum and the fact that Jet2 already have direct access to their own data on the demand for ORK via their NCL-ORK flight they might be less keen to jump on LBA-ORK.

bmi still seem to be hanging in well with the LBA-CDG service, though Jet2 are held back though the lack of a two flights per day option. Paris is defintely another route that is becoming a mostly LCC route in the public perception.

coasting
15th Feb 2006, 09:33
It's obvious that Jet 2 are not working in harmony with the airport here. This flight should have been picked up by Jet 2 the same day BMI dropped it. OK, the numbers of people going to Jersey has gone down over the years as fares to other destinations have dropped, but a route that has been in place and well used for 50 years hardly needs any marketing by either party, and would probably sell itself! It could still support 3 to 5 flights per week. BMI lost the route through lack of imaginative fare structure, overpricing themselves out of the market, something they are extremely good at doing with all their BMI Regional flights from Leeds. No wonder 42,000 have used the TOM flight from Doncaster in its first 8 months of existence with lead in fares at £19.99 and now free car parking for those displaced Leeds pax who have to travel to DSA for their inconvenience.
I can't help thinking if this had happened at Newcastle Airport, had they lost the flight in the morning by one airline, another major player would have picked it up by sunset, with lots of hype and publicity that would see it flourish, even better than before.
Come on JET2/LBIA start working together...it is your main base after all!

PTH needs tarmac
15th Feb 2006, 09:58
Aren't traffic rights to the Channel Islands controlled locally? I don't know what time-length they have from receiving a slot/route rights request to making that request public or granting/refusing applications. Perhaps something from Jet2 is making its way through the process but it isn't public yet. It also depend on how much warning everyone got that bmi weren't going to post a summer schedule, even though they had suspended the JER route until the end of the winter timetable.

I agree that if Jet2, or anyone else, do want to take on LBA-JER they will have to get a move on or Thomsonfly will hoover up all the pax for the spring and Easter period at least.

Jamesair
19th Feb 2006, 15:57
Eastern increased capacity on the ABZ route from the 13th Feb by replacing J32 a/c with J41's on the 3 x daily route

GBALU53
21st Feb 2006, 16:26
The reason the Jersey route was dropped was for a number reasons i believe.

British Midland Mainline returned some Airbuses and they needed to bring in an Airbus from another route and so it required the Airbus from the LBA-LHR-LBA route leaving the route with no aircraft.

By doing this they had to aquire a BM Reginal E145 to operate these sectors and the only way to get this aircraft was to drop the Jersey service.

This was all done at short notice if there had been i believe a lot more time BMI Baby may well have been interested in operating a service but with very little notice this would not be possible.

Will BMI Baby or Jet2 ever start this service up we can only waite and see.:ok: :ok: :ok:

WOWBOY
21st Feb 2006, 17:22
I would like to see WOW operate the LBA-JER route!!

jswings
21st Feb 2006, 21:22
To me the route contenders are-

. Air Southwest
. FlyBe

More than likely this route will not be absent for long as it is a prime route, has been running for many years now but is financially unsecure. :)

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Feb 2006, 21:35
Air Southwest have applied for charter service from Leeds to Jersey from May 20th to 16th September.:ok:

BombardierCR7
21st Feb 2006, 21:53
Yes that is well known. For CITS. It has been in the system for at least 2 months now.

CITS have operated that flight for donkeys years now, excluding the last 2 years where it has been advertised but pulled onto the BMI shortly before its operation due to low take up.

Hopefully it may get it's chance to operate this year in light of the circumstances

SASfox
23rd Feb 2006, 14:55
Eastern to start LBA-INV with J41's on 24th April. 6 flights a week. Now can we please get our JER flts back. Any news anyone?

ashmac33
23rd Feb 2006, 16:52
Thomsons have changed their aircraft from the 762 to the 752 for the saturday am rotation to reus (by 4973). Whether the 76 will make an appearance at leeds is unknown at the minute. We keep getting a lot of s06 flight amendments, so will keep this info posted.

ash

LBA
23rd Feb 2006, 17:53
Well I doubt they would only swap the based aircraft for one flight a week, so if that is the case, would assume it's going to be a based 757-200 all summer.

Great news about Inverness BTW :).

682ft AMSL
24th Feb 2006, 18:58
Might the fact TUI are now actively selling DLM on Friday nights again ex-Leeds be a clue that the 767 has been canned - i.e they wouldn't commit to 290 seats, but are prepared to give it a go with 235?

Non appearance of the 767 would though be another blow to growth aspirations. The 767-2 has 23% more seats than the 757-2, so non-appearance for half-the season equates to a 11-12% capacity reduction overall.

LBA
24th Feb 2006, 21:02
Hm... They do seem to be selling Dalaman. Weren't Thomson supposed to be selling extra flights to Ibiza and Palma? They seem to have gone...

682ft AMSL
24th Feb 2006, 21:37
The WEDS pm IBZ is still there in lieu of Varna. The FRI pm PMI has reverted back from PMI to DLM.

Jet2LBA
25th Feb 2006, 18:00
Read on another thread that Air Blue plan to operate A321's on an Islamabad-Manchester route with a refueling stop in Turkey.

With the exception of the brief Swefly service, why is it that LBA have been unable attract such flights, with a similar aircraft type suitable to LBA? Everyone knows demand is there, so why has it become one of LBA's great mysteries?

Leodis
26th Feb 2006, 17:05
Read on another thread that Air Blue plan to operate A321's on an Islamabad-Manchester route with a refueling stop in Turkey.
With the exception of the brief Swefly service, why is it that LBA have been unable attract such flights, with a similar aircraft type suitable to LBA? Everyone knows demand is there, so why has it become one of LBA's great mysteries?

What is important is that LBA seems to be holding its own all considering. With its neighbours in South, East and West under the ownership of the much bigger Manchester Airport Group and airports in the South, and the North East under PEEL ownership with the full weight behind them that that entails. All in all LBA does seem to be making reasonable progress.

I think LBA does seem to be showing signs of branching out more and it appears that the airport is actively looking for additional airlines to fill the gaps. ie. with the introduction of Central Wings to Warsaw. I don't think this will be the last, I would expect that over the course of the next year or so other airlines will follow suit.

Leodis:8

BombardierCR7
26th Feb 2006, 17:40
Air Blue were expected to launch Manchester - Pakistan back in November last year with A330 equipment, then it was postponed to January this year, I believe there has been a route change from Lahore to Islamabad (I think) and is now Summer this year with an A321. Assuming it starts, it may last a matter of weeks, or maybe a lifetime, who knows? but, if I was in any position of power at LBA, then I'd be avoiding this one like the plague!

One would hope that after the experience with Swefly, and the bad press that caused during their demise, that the airport company would shy away from attracting these small airlines with big international ambitions and look for a much more stable/local option on a Pakistan route from LBA. PIA is obviously not an option at present from LBA, but maybe to start small and attract a strong local asian travel agent with lots of "connections" as a charterer on a small widebody may be a more viable option. I seem to remember some guys in Bingley also had this idea a while ago. I believe it was only the ABTA bonding that prevented them. It's only my opinion, but I think it may be a safer move forward to pull one of the greatest underserved long haul routes out of West Yorkshire.

LBIA
26th Feb 2006, 19:10
Can anyone confirm the following?

Have Thomsonfly dropped the planned basing of a B767-200 in May, June and July and instead have decided to make it a B757-200 base all year round at Leeds/Bradford???

LBA
26th Feb 2006, 20:09
Can I ask if you don't know for sure, why do you post the news as 'confirmed' on other forums?

LBIA
26th Feb 2006, 20:17
LBA Wrote: Can I ask if you don't know for sure, why do you post the news as 'confirmed' on other forums?

No problems mate. I'll tell you that I have had it confirmed by someone who works with-in the tui group. Travel agent side. But the reason I ask on here is it’s not by anyone who works for Thomsonfly the airline, these are surely the guys who might actually really know the truth. Like LBA based crews.

This is the reason why I ask again. Ok?

LBA
26th Feb 2006, 20:27
Ok, No probs :)

Frankfurt_Cowboy
27th Feb 2006, 16:20
Looking at the timetables for the LBA-LHR service over the summer it appears that the non A319 rotations mentioned are being done by an A320 rather than the mentioned (feared) ERJ145. God, I sound like a spotter!!

PTH needs tarmac
27th Feb 2006, 22:49
So you're saying bmi are using a BIGGER aircraft on an OFF-peak flight????? And a SMALLER aircraft on PEAK flights???

Logical! Nothing surprises us ant more with bmi.

Or do a lot of business traveller come up from London in the morning and head back to London for afternoon tea? Betty's not good enough for them?

RobT100
27th Feb 2006, 23:44
Can I ask if you don't know for sure, why do you post the news as 'confirmed' on other forums?

Just remember LBIA is the one who told us FCA were basing an A320 this summer so dont beleive a word he says.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
28th Feb 2006, 08:50
"So you're saying bmi are using a BIGGER aircraft on an OFF-peak flight????? And a SMALLER aircraft on PEAK flights??? "

On closer inspection it appears that the based 319 will in fact be a 320 this summer, the only 319 flights being BD418 and 419 in the afternoon. Saturday is all 145's as is Sunday except for BD419 and 420 when the 320 reappears.

LBIA
28th Feb 2006, 11:56
Hi

The wednesday flight to Futeventura by LTE International Airbus A320's in summer 2006 has been changed.

This flight is now to be operated by Futura Boeing 737-800 Aircraft as follows.

FUA1755 Departs FUE: 07:45 Arrives LBA: 12:10
FUA1756 Departs LBA: 13:10 Arrives FUE: 17:15

And RobT100 if you don't belive in me about this. Just check out LBIA website along with Thomas Cooks, First Choice and My Travel sites, Ok??

LBA
28th Feb 2006, 17:25
Quite happy about that, we don't get alot of Futuras.

LBA
28th Feb 2006, 19:35
Its alright saying that, but you have to look at all the new business gained this summer.

Extra flights from FlyBe, Air Southwest, Jet2, Thomsonfly, Astraeus and a new airline in Centralwings. I would hardly say things are looking really bad!

As far as i'm concerned, if Jet2 are really commited to LBA and continue to expand their services, they can operate as many flights as they want!

HOODED
28th Feb 2006, 19:42
Interesting post Leodis and I see where you're coming from. Can't say loosing Thomsonfly will be too much of a problem for me personally as they've let me down twice when I booked ex LBA.
Interestingly Jet2 have just sent me an Email saying 100s of extra seats are now available to Prague Mar to June due to high demand. Good to see but as you say all eggs in one basket!
Just hope someone else comes in to fill the charter gap if we do loose TUI or whatever they're called today. Still the market seems to be moving slowly avway from IT to "make your own holiday on the internet" Thats what I now do with Jet2 being my preferred way of getting there/back.

Leodis
28th Feb 2006, 20:34
I understand what you're saying HOODED and I know that the days when airports look towards achieving a 50/50 split between Scheduled and Charter are long gone. I am certainly not saying that the airport hasn't made any progress, which indeed it has, but mearly pointing out that the inclusive charter market from LBA has always been underserved. To simply maintain the present level of services shouldn't be as big a problem as it is made out to be.There will always be people who prefer to pop down to their local travel shop and choose a holiday over the counter. People shouldn't have that option taken away.

I totally agree on your point about Thomsonfly, they've made more U-turns than Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher put togeather! But, to sum up, Leeds must attract more airlines and soon. Yes, it looks good to see a ramp full of Jet2 aircraft but god forbid, what if?

Leodis. Thomsonfly - The U-Turn airline:}

682ft AMSL
28th Feb 2006, 21:40
Leodis / Hooded
1) loosing Thomsonfly would be a problem. In seat terms, they are the largest charter operator over summer and represent the vast majority of what is left of the winter IT programme
2) I suspect your crtiticism of 'Thomsonfly' should be redirected towards 'TUI'. The lack of charter capacity is I imagine a decision by the tour operator not to offer seats ex-Leeds, rather than an unwillingness on the airline's part not to fly the routes. The clearest evidence is surely the large number of 'w' patterns ex-Leeds. I can't believe this is a choice of the airline arm but rather a reflection of the tour operating division choosing not to offer additional routes / seats from Leeds. So today (Tues) we had a 757 routing LBA-ALC-xxx-ALC-LBA. At NCL, it was NCL-ALC-NCL-TFS-NCL. Who made the decision not to fly Leeds-Tenerife and instead 'w' the aircraft into MME otr HUY? Not the airline I suspect
3) The lack of charter capacity relative to other airports, compared to a very healthy position on leisure orientated scheduled services relative to the same airports, is widely known and acknowledged. I suspect it is not being allowed to drfit by without efforts and hard work on a number of fronts to resolve it. Ultimately it remains the battle it always has been for the last 10 or 11 years, which is presuading tour operators to serve the Leeds/Bradford catchment from Leeds Bradford Airport rather than Manchester. Just as it is with services to the Isle of Man, Germany, Scandanavia, Pakistan, the US.........

682ft AMSL
1st Mar 2006, 15:11
I agree with your views on the sell-off - selling to the 'right' operator will be key though.

I also agree that upgrading to CAT2 on 14 and increasing the LDA on 32 can only make the place more attractive to airlines looking at LBA as a place to do business.

My latest 'fag packet' estimate for 2006 passenger numbers (without any knowledge of what might happen over the last 4 months of the year) is 2.8m, so yes it will need some rabbits to be pulled out of a big hat to push the full year number up towards 3m.

I'm not convinced by the argument that payload restrictions are a big issue for much of the market that the airport is trying to chase. The reason the based T'Fly 757 operated a 'w' into MME or HUY yesterday and not LBA-TFS or the reason the aircraft is only stationed for a part week rather that a full week just can't be explained by 'operational restrictions'. Clearly someone in TUI doesn't want to commit to LBA-LPA, LBA-FUE, LBA-MIR, LBA-PFO, LBA-TFS etc. Maybe because of Jet2 operating to TFS, maybe because they want to shift the demand to DSA or MAN or maybe because using the a/c for services elsewhere is considered less risky and more profitable than running extra LBA routes. If a second weekly LBA-TFS is worth x and using the same aircraft to 'w' a MME-ALC is x + 10%, then it;'s obvious which they'd go far, regardless of the fact that LBA-TFS might get filled. My point is that whatever the reason is , it's not because the TUI 757's can't get from LBA-TFS with a full load.

I'm convinced you can apply this example to a bucket load of potential charter routes. Bear in mind on the charter front, the problem is more to do with lack of capacity on routes that are served, rather than routes not being served at all. There ARE flights to Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, there just aren't enough of them. That's not a problem brought on by operational restrictions. The problem, whatever it is exactly, lies with the tour operators and there needs to be a change in attitude from them if the market is to grow. It is certainly still a prize worth chasing for LBA. I've just added up charter passengers at Cardiff for Summer 05 and note they were double the Leeds volumes. If LBA could match CWL, that would be an extra 300,000 passengers in summer. The LBA catchment is obviously big enough - LBA handled 600,000 more overseas scheduled passengers than CWL over the same period and actually matched NCL. Regardless of your views of road access, speed cameras, DSA and whatever else, the people are coming in numbers on the scheduled front. But they can't use flights that don't exist, and that's the issue with charter.

LBIA
2nd Mar 2006, 17:23
Hi

Airtours holidays have addeed a extra Late night Palma saturday service to LBA. Its to be Operated again by Futura International B737's as same as last summer. The flight Arrives LBA at 23:55 on Saturday and departs at 00:50 on Sunday morning.

Leodis
2nd Mar 2006, 18:30
It is just a shame that airlines and tour operators other than Jet2 haven't realised the potential of the airport and matched it with equal proportion.

RobT100
2nd Mar 2006, 20:57
Hi
Airtours holidays have addeed a extra Late night Palma saturday service to LBA. Its to be Operated again by Futura International B737's as same as last summer. The flight Arrives LBA at 23:55 on Saturday and departs at 00:50 on Sunday morning.

Oh great ! Ill have to remember to get that one :{

Leodis
2nd Mar 2006, 21:20
Oh great ! Ill have to remember to get that one :{

Yes I agree but any service is a plus.

On the grapevine today I heard that Jet2 are seriously looking at new Greek destinations, this would obviously be great new if it were true, and it would show yet more commitment to LBA. The only problem is that it would almost certainly finish off any chance of Astraeus returning for S07 with TC and AT. But at least Jet2 seem to understand that Leeds can and does work. Why are the other airlines so scared of giving Leeds a chance?

682ft AMSL
3rd Mar 2006, 12:09
Leodis - you state that the arrival of Jet2 onto 'Greek destinations' would be the end of a series of charter flights, then ask in the next breath "Why are the other airlines so scared of giving Leeds a chance?" If you believe your own hypothesis on Greece, you've answered your own question, surely?

Flightrider
3rd Mar 2006, 12:32
In all fairness, the arrival of Jet2 onto Malaga and Alicante still has not stopped Astraeus and Thomsonfly operating charters on the same routes! There is still potential to grow into Greece with extra Corfu flights and other routes like Kefallinia, Kos and Skiathos which provide potential to expand. Even if Jet2 did saturate a route like Rhodes, it would be possible to move the charter programme around to adapt it.
;)

LBA
3rd Mar 2006, 12:56
I know Leeds has it's problems, but it amazes me we get all this doom and gloom at the start of what will be the best summer ever in terms of pax numbers and routes. I mean just look at the extra flights compared to last summer:

SCHEDULED.

Warsaw - Centralwings
Rome - Jet2
Milan - Jet2
Mahon - Jet2
Pisa - Jet2
Tenerife - Jet2
Bergerac - flybe
Southampton - flybe (Extra flight Now operates twice daily)
Bristol - Air Southwest (Extra flight Now operates three times daily)
Newquay - Air Southwest (Only New Direct flights)
Dublin - Ryanair (Upgraded to larger 185 seater B737-800's)
Inverness - Eastern

CHARTER
Bodrum - Onur Air
Ibiza - Thomsonfly (Extra weekly flight)
Palma - Thomsonfly (Extra Weekly Flight)
Paphos - Thomsonfly
Crete - Astraeus
Rhodes - Astraeus
Zakynthos - Astraeus (Replaces Thomsonfly flight)
Corfu - Astreaus (Second weekly service along with Thomsonflys)
Jersey - New Air southwest charter

Now I don't know about anyone else, but for what is still a reletively small regional airport, that represents tremendous growth from where i'm standing!

682ft AMSL
3rd Mar 2006, 15:16
Yes, there are some very positive stories for the coming summer. How well the airport is doing overall is a view on whether you think it's a 2 million passenger airport punching above it's weight or a 4 - 5 million airport that only meets half of it's local demand. My personal view is that it's more a case of the latter than the former and I believe it is charter flights particularly where much of the shortfall could be redressed. Fairly crude analysis of the passenger volumes published on the CAA website provide an insight into the problem.

European scheduled passengers in summer 05 (millions)
MAN 4.1
BRS 1.3
EMA 1.1
GLA 0.9
NCL 0.9
LBA 0.9
CWL 0.4

European charter passengers over the same period (millions)
MAN 5.6
GLA 1.4
NCL 1.2
EMA 1.0
BRS 1.0
CWL 0.6
LBA 0.3

How you interpret these is a matter of personal opinion. To me, they indicate that LBA's scheduled performance is closely aligned to other UK regional airports and that this is not 'over performance' on the part of LBA, rather a reflection of its underlying catchment area. This contrasts markedly with the performance on charter services which is significantly out of line given the same catchment area. Unless Leodis is correct and the presence of scheduled / low-cost flights are to the detriment of charter services (which the data at other airports doesn't really support) then it's hard to avoid the conclusion that charter massively underperformance at Leeds. I find it interesting that the European scheduled market at MAN is 4 times bigger than LBA, but the European charter market is 19 times bigger. Also, the relatively small population base in South Wales supports a charter market twice as big as Leeds' - a marked contrast to the capacity offered by Jet2 & co at Leeds and bmi baby & co in SW. There is clearly a very strong case for more charter capacity at Leeds.

LBA
3rd Mar 2006, 16:57
Some very good points raised.

The LBA charter market is an interesting one, when the tour ops try more 'interesting routes' from LBA, they seems to be a very mixed reaction. For example the Thomsonfly flights to Varna and Bodrum that were due to begin this summer, apparantly the loads were really bad. I think flights to these sort of places from LBA are more suited to the likes of the 73G that AEU operate, rather than the 757/767 that Thomsonfly operate.

CRM2006
6th Mar 2006, 12:53
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have any info on winter flight programe yet? what are astreaus up to??

Jet2LBA
6th Mar 2006, 18:13
Does anyone have any info on winter flight programe yet? what are astreaus up to??

forget "Greek is the word", "nothing is the word"

"Greek" would never be the word for winter charter ops from any UK airport.

qcode
7th Mar 2006, 07:37
On the BBC news this morning. LBA is to be sold off. This will be very interesting.

jswings
7th Mar 2006, 17:53
Where abouts did you read this? I am not scrutinising what you're saying but and intreged to where you found this? Just had a look and found nothing? What website is it on?:confused:

RobT100
7th Mar 2006, 17:59
I was about to ask the same question after reading this earlier I have found nothing to back up these claims.

L-Band
7th Mar 2006, 18:03
Just been on Look North, did you miss it!!!:{

682ft AMSL
7th Mar 2006, 19:14
I was about to ask the same question after reading this earlier I have found nothing to back up these claims.

???? This has been in the public domain since last October (see page 2 of this thread) and has been all over the press (YEP, YP, T&A) in recent weeks as this local authorities push forward with proposals.

According to Look North this evening, a local campaign group is calling for a public consultation on the proposals. I find this odd given the airport has only just completed a large public consultation exercise on its masterplan. Given that the public reaction to this was "over-whelmingly positive" and that private investment should simply allow some of masterplan ideas to come to fruition more quickly, I'm not sure what they expect to achieve from this.

Leodis
7th Mar 2006, 22:01
"Greek" would never be the word for winter charter ops from any UK airport.
The way I should have worded it was that Astraeus has gone from "Greek is the word" to nothing is the word. I wasn't implying that they would be operating flights to Greece in the winter.

Lets just hope that they can keep a hold on the progress they've made for this summer.

POL1W
8th Mar 2006, 08:46
Looks like the long awaited, rumoured, expected and falsley announced Jet 2 route to Dusseldorf has been announced officially, at last. Starting May 8 daily except Sat. This flight should be very welcomed from the business community in Yorkshire and Humberside.

ashmac33
8th Mar 2006, 13:17
Looks like Turkey is taking quite a reduction in bookings this year, lba has lost peggy from fridays DLM route, instead AHL are sharing on our thomson flight dep. 1615. However first choice and tcx have got sun express DLM on a monday still on the cards.
Having a look though our systems at the airport and im pretty confident that the rumours from previous posts confirm the 767 wont be making an appearance this year which is a great shame :( However the 76 will be in for tomorrows acapulco so catch her while you can.

LBA
8th Mar 2006, 13:37
Thats a shame that the Pegasus has been dropped, though to be honest, I would rather the Thomsonfly aircraft had more work to do. I imagine people are getting a bit scared off by the 'Bird flu', hopefully means some cheap holidays to Turkey later in the summer! :D.

Excellent news about Jet2 to DUS BTW!

jswings
8th Mar 2006, 18:43
Todays the day Jet2 announced then. This has been in speculation 4 months to my knowlage. Personally a possitive move for the World Cup in May, though it will be intresting after the World Cup as to the fate of this route.

Flightrider
8th Mar 2006, 18:51
767 definitely not there for the first half of the season; it has gone to Cardiff.

682ft AMSL
8th Mar 2006, 19:36
Todays the day Jet2 announced then. This has been in speculation 4 months to my knowlage. Personally a possitive move for the World Cup in May, though it will be intresting after the World Cup as to the fate of this route.

..and everyone else's given DUS airport had the thing listed in their timetables before Christmas (as was widely reported on here).

The world cup is a nice marketing tag to launch the route, but it will have had little to do with Jet2's decision to launch. No one in their right minds would launch a route where an event lasting 4 weeks was a critical success factor. Have you read the press release about the involvement of the YTB in this, and more importantly the money they are spending to fund a campaign in Germany to try and boost traffic from the other end of the route?

The world cup is in June by the way, not May.

jswings
8th Mar 2006, 21:23
..and everyone else's given DUS airport had the thing listed in their timetables before Christmas (as was widely reported on here).
The world cup is a nice marketing tag to launch the route, but it will have had little to do with Jet2's decision to launch. No one in their right minds would launch a route where an event lasting 4 weeks was a critical success factor. Have you read the press release about the involvement of the YTB in this, and more importantly the money they are spending to fund a campaign in Germany to try and boost traffic from the other end of the route?
The world cup is in June by the way, not May.

There we go again. Why is it in the politest mannor PPRUNE members scrutinise others in order for their personal reputation to be respected. Yeah I might have got specific minor points wrong but it is NO need for childish posts on PPRUNE. My original post was a simple response to the news announced today. It isn't that big a deal that stupid reponses need to be made. Think about your actions next time and if it is a big deal that I posted get a life.

Leodis
8th Mar 2006, 21:55
There we go again. Why is it in the politest mannor PPRUNE members scrutinise others in order for their personal reputation to be respected. Yeah I might have got specific minor points wrong but it is NO need for childish posts on PPRUNE. My original post was a simple response to the news announced today. It isn't that big a deal that stupid reponses need to be made. Think about your actions next time and if it is a big deal that I posted get a life.

682 AMSL in my eyes is very well respected on this forum and in any case it looks to me like an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth.:8

PTH needs tarmac
9th Mar 2006, 01:04
It's good to see that the much discussed Jet2 LBA-DUS route has finally emerged from its crysalis and into the light of day. While not perfect is some ways it provides a solid test for how much demand there really is for a service to Germany from LBA, which has been on so many "wish lists" (and include LBA itself in that) for many many years.

It's equally good to see that the Yorkshire Tourist Board is doing it's bit to support the new route. Although a little off-thread, how much promotion of Yorkshire is readily seen overseas (or in other UK regions) and how closely do such promotions link in to places that have direct or relatively direct access to Yorkshire though the Yorkshire airports, in particular LBA? Conversely, how much effort is expended in countries that only have easy access via Manchester or London?

Leodis
10th Mar 2006, 09:17
Also, PTH needs tarmac

Will the new service to Dusseldorf tip the balance towards the predicted 3 million passengers, or does there need to be more announcements?

Devonair
10th Mar 2006, 09:41
I used to work for VisitBritain overseas. Certain European markets have quite a high awareness of the UK regions. Germany is a very mature market in terms of inbound tourists to the UK. I would say within England, Yorkshire would be fairly high up the 'known areas' list along with the Lake District, Cotswolds and Devon & Cornwall (which in Germany is more known in terms of a tourist destination than Wales). In terms of overseas initiatives Yorkshire Tourist Board work with NW England, Cumbria and Northumbria in a markleting group called "England's North Country". The Proximity of the city of York to LBA would act as a key trigger for German (and Dutch) visitors along with the Dales and the Moors. I hope the tourist bodies and airport will work together and focus on these attractions to make the route work.

RobT100
10th Mar 2006, 12:59
Also, PTH needs tarmac
Will the new service to Dusseldorf tip the balance towards the predicted 3 million passengers, or does there need to be more announcements?

Leodis

I know I have said it on the forum but Im expecting an announcement for more canaries flights (LPA in particular) - this has been hotly tipped by one of my friends who works cabin crew for Jet2. I do wonder what is going on though, they do seem to be dragging their heels.

Regards

jet2impress
10th Mar 2006, 13:20
LPA is nothing more than a rumour. I am afraid to say that us cabin crew are the last to find out about new routes.

TANGO100
10th Mar 2006, 22:09
Has anyone got any more news (rumours) about a possible jet2 - USA flight, it keeps raising it's head on the ground floor!!
I know PM is looking for more adventurous routes, is this still one of them??
With the light of Ryanair and the German bus company getting together to indulge in a low cost Atlantic service, I wonder if PM might be thinking the same !!

RobT100
11th Mar 2006, 08:38
LPA is nothing more than a rumour. I am afraid to say that us cabin crew are the last to find out about new routes.

Yeah fair enough Jet2Impress maybe im grabbing at straws, but it does make me wonder why they are getting the 757s for extra range ???

Leodis
12th Mar 2006, 07:02
767 definitely not there for the first half of the season; it has gone to Cardiff.

Hopefully this will help Astraeus with its program. With a bit of luck Thomas Cook and Airtours sales from Leeds can be boosted by this, which could in tern help Astraeus' case for expanding at Leeds in summer 07. :8

Flightrider
13th Mar 2006, 07:52
Quite possibly. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
:D

Mooncrest
15th Mar 2006, 16:30
Whilst it's undoubtedly good news that LBA has once again gained a German route (it must be twenty years since Brown Air did Frankfurt) I can't help wishing it was an airline other than Jet2 that was to operate it. I welcomed their arrival at LBA back in 2003 but a few years on one gets rather jaded at their dominance at what would otherwise still be a small operation. Granted the company is pushing punters through the airport and providing employment but God forbid they should go up the swanee. I'm not suggesting that might happen but you never know in this business. On the plus side, Jet2 have taken a chance, filled a gap in the market and proved that LBA can be an airport of choice for the public but now some competition wouldn't go amiss.
If Dusseldorf can get established then maybe more German routes will follow, hopefully from the likes of Germanwings or Air Berlin. Get the European business on a firm footing then maybe the marketing efforts can be directed further afield. Schedules to the Eastern USA and bucket and spade stuff to Africa, Croatia, Slovenia. If Bristol and Newcastle can do it, so can Leeds Bradford.

Thankyou and goodnight.

MC

682ft AMSL
16th Mar 2006, 13:25
The business pages of the YEP today confirm the relocation of the Jet2 back-office & support functions from Bournmouth to Leeds. 150 additional jobs will be created with about 30-40 of those being relocations from the South. Advertising will begin shortly for the new posts. Including aircrew, there will be around 450 Jet2 employees at Leeds following the move.

PM was quoted as saying the airline was "thriving" and the report concludes by saying another new route would be announced tomorrow (Fri 17th) although there was no mention which of its UK airports this would be from.

Jetting2
16th Mar 2006, 15:51
....Looks like Lanzarote to me.. now listed as a destination from LBA

LBA
16th Mar 2006, 16:04
Your absolutely right, fantastic news, they just keep expanding!

LBA
17th Mar 2006, 09:42
Arrecife on sale this morning, Thursday and Sunday, 09:30 departures from LBA. :)

Leodis
17th Mar 2006, 10:22
Arrecife on sale this morning, Thursday and Sunday, 09:30 departures from LBA. :)

MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Lanzarote days
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Tenerife days
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Gran Canaria days??
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Cyprus or Fuerterventura day ??;)

MoTuWeThFrSaSu..........announced so far!

LBA
17th Mar 2006, 10:57
Does seem to follow logic, let's hope!

RobT100
20th Mar 2006, 02:58
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Lanzarote days
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Tenerife days
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Gran Canaria days??
MoTuWeThFrSaSu - Cyprus or Fuerterventura day ??;)
MoTuWeThFrSaSu..........announced so far!

Could even be a chance for TFN since DSA gave up the chase with it (don't u just love this:8 )

airhumberside
20th Mar 2006, 19:50
I dont recall any plans for a DSA-TFN flight

Flightrider
20th Mar 2006, 19:59
If you work on the basis of a Mon, Wed, Sat operation required to fill the gap, Las Palmas looks like a fair bet.

GBALU53
20th Mar 2006, 21:32
Will the only flight down to Jersey this Summer be the Air Southwest charter on Saturday,s this summer??:sad: :sad:

POL1W
21st Mar 2006, 08:04
Will the only flight down to Jersey this Summer be the Air Southwest charter on Saturday,s this summer??:sad: :sad:
That's all!

SASfox
21st Mar 2006, 15:34
Take a look at the destinations route map on the Jet2 webpage! Fueneventura and Gran Canaria are shown aswell now! A taste of things to come perhaps?

LBIA
21st Mar 2006, 17:02
Hi

It looks like the Airport wont becoming to a griding halt on March 28th. Heres the official press release whcih has been issued by the Airport this afternoon regarding the Strike. Looks like the only problem we are going to have is the runway is going to be closed for 2 hours between 11:30 and 13:30.

NO STRIKE AT LBA ON 28 MARCH 2006
21 March 2006

An agreement has been reached with the TGWU at Leeds Bradford Airport that will ensure that there will not be a one day strike at LBA on the day of the national one day strike over proposed changes to the local government pension scheme.

Airlines have been notified that trade union members will be carrying out a protest over the proposed pension changes which will result in the runway being closed for two hours from 1130 hours on 28 March. The rest of the airport’s operations, including check in, car parks, terminal facilities, shops, restaurants, bars and lounges will all be open as normal.

This should result in minimal, if any, disruptions to flights. All passengers whose flight is due to operate between 1130 and 1330 on 28 March are advised to check with their airlines if they have any queries.

For enquiries regarding this story please contact:
The relevant Airline

LBA
22nd Mar 2006, 13:48
Take a look at the destinations route map on the Jet2 webpage! Fueneventura and Gran Canaria are shown aswell now! A taste of things to come perhaps?

Not there now mate, would fit into the logic though, hopefully FUE on Wednesday and LPA Mondays and Saturdays!

Jetting2
26th Mar 2006, 13:37
Would anyone be in a posistion to report on how the Dusseldorf route is doing for bookings?

I noticed that previous weeks have shown several flights in May/June to be fully booked but now only a few are.. has capacity been increased to a 752 on this route?

LBA
26th Mar 2006, 15:57
Would be pretty surprised if the demand on DUS warrented the use of a 757, would be good news though!

airborne_artist
28th Mar 2006, 07:58
will result in the runway being closed for two hours from 1130 hours on 28 March

If yesterday's schedule was repeated then it's 4 arrivals and 2 departures that will be affected :(

lba2006
30th Mar 2006, 09:18
Holiday company Peltours has announced a brand new route to Taba, Egypt for Winter 2006. Operated by Astraeus, on Thursdays for 6 weeks (from Oct 5th)

aeulad
30th Mar 2006, 12:20
I can't find anything on the Peltours website, but if it is going to happen, it's excellent news! Hopefully Astraeus will base at LBA in the winter, much better for the crews.

Regards

Mike

lba2006
30th Mar 2006, 13:45
It's on LBA's website

LBA
30th Mar 2006, 15:24
Yeah, surprisingly was straight on the LBA website this morning, not like them to be up to speed!

Superb news, lets hope more flights are offered if the initial one's are a success, maybe we will then get Sharm El Sheikh, which I thought we would get anyway over Taba.

Leodis
30th Mar 2006, 16:00
LBA
Agreed this is excellent news. Keep up the good work JH!;)

ashmac33
30th Mar 2006, 16:47
Watch out in the near future for CUSS (common use self service) machines being installed within the terminal, i believe Thomsonfly will kick it off with launching E tickets on their flights. Just a little hint i heard at work today, warning us for a summer of chaos!

Congrats aeu!

Ash

WOWBOY
30th Mar 2006, 17:30
Hi,

Just A quck Question:

Q. Which of these routes is preforming the best; BRS, EXT or NQY?

LBA
30th Mar 2006, 19:50
I personally don't know.

I would assume all routes are doing really well.

Air Southwest have upgraded their two times daily LBA-BRS-NQY, to 3 times daily LBA-BRS AND a new one times daily direct service LBA-NQY. So they have doubled the number of flights for this summer.

Flybe have kept Exeter at daily, whilst upgrading Southampton to twice daily.

The self service check in machines would be great, I love using them!

MerchantVenturer
31st Mar 2006, 12:09
Hi,
Just A quck Question:
Q. Which of these routes is preforming the best; BRS, EXT or NQY?

CAA stats for domestic routes are only available up to December last. Of course, these are pax carried and don't deal with yield, the real measure of a successful route. Nevertheless, the raw figures suggest that the routes are performing well.

I reproduce below the monthly figures for November and December, never the busiest months of the year, which are as follows.

November - Air Southwest LBA-BRS-NQY route: LBA-BRS 2685, BRS-NQY 1591,LBA-NQY 2597.
Flybe LBA-EXT route 2930

December - Air Southwest LBA-BRS-NQY route: LBA-BRS 2379, BRS-NQY 1835,LBA-NQY 2485.
Flybe LBA-EXT route 2499

Polehill.flt70
1st Apr 2006, 22:18
Watch out in the near future for CUSS (common use self service) machines being installed within the terminal, i believe Thomsonfly will kick it off with launching E tickets on their flights. Just a little hint i heard at work today, warning us for a summer of chaos!

Congrats aeu!

Ash

Oh it just gets better!!!!!:ouch:

LBIA
3rd Apr 2006, 18:10
Jet2 LBA base definitely needs two Boeing 757 Aircraft now. Heres the full weekly programme as it stands.

Mondays
Aircraft 1,
LBA-ALC-LBA 08:00 LS271 - 14:30 LS272
LBA-PMI-LBA 17:15 LS257 - 23:20 LS258
Aircraft 2,
LBA-AGP-LBA 08:35 LS185 - 15:15 LS186
LBA-MJV-LBA 17:30 LS207 - 23:59 LS208
Tuesdays
Aircraft 1,
LBA-TFS-LBA 16:00 LS223 - 01:55 LS224
Aircraft 2,
LBA-ALC-LBA 10:00 LS271 - 16:30 LS272
Wednesdays
Aircraft 1,
Aircraft 2,
Thursdays
Aircraft 1,
LBA-FAO-LBA 16:00 LS251 - 22:55 LS252
Aircraft 2,
Fridays
Aircraft 1,
LBA-TFS-LBA 16:00 LS223 - 01:55 LS224
Aircraft 2,
Saturdays
Aircraft 1,
Aircraft 2,
LBA-ALC-LBA 10:40 LS271 - 17:10 LS272
LBA-PMI-LBA 18:05 LS257 - 00:15 LS258
Sundays
Aircraft 1,
LBA-ALC-LBA 08:30 LS271 - 15:00 LS272
LBA-PMI-LBA 18:05 LS257 - 00:15 LS258
Aircraft 2,
LBA-PRG-LBA 18:15 LS195 - 23:05 LS196

Also Jet2's New LBA - Dusseldorf has All accounts been upgraded to B757-200 for the first two/three weeks of operation in May due to high bookings.

682ft AMSL
4th Apr 2006, 09:11
2005 diversion stats from the CAA.
First number is number of diversions; second is % of inbound flights diverted.
Used to be the case that LBA was the worst performer in both cases, but not it seems anymore. CAT2 on 14 and work on the 32 displaced threshold would undoubtedly cut the number yet further.
PLYMOUTH 76 2.4%
KENT 37 1.5%
COVENTRY 68 1.0%
NEWQUAY 29 0.7%
LONDON CITY 137 0.4%
DONCASTER 8 0.3%
DERRY 6 0.3%
CARDIFF 27 0.3%
SOUTHAMPTON 57 0.3%
LEEDS BRADFORD 47 0.3%
BRISTOL 67 0.2%

682ft AMSL
4th Apr 2006, 09:42
What is the process for bmi getting CAT3 approval for the 319/320? They must have done 30+ practice CAT3's over the last couple of months which is all part of it, but not sure what happens next.

As for the upgrade of 14 to CAT2, one of the senior LBA guys I talked to at the masterplan roadshow suggested most of the technical obstacles had been over come...it was just a case of finding the money to buy the kit. Maybe one for the new owners?

SASfox
5th Apr 2006, 16:06
Anyone know how many were on the 1st WAW flight with Centralwings last night?

Leodis
5th Apr 2006, 17:02
Don't know the actual number but it was about 115:)

chris1976
16th Apr 2006, 15:55
Can anyone in the know confirm if the loads on the new Centralwings service to Warsaw are still looking as good as the 1st flight?? If they are, then hopefully we can get some better flight times in the not too distant future with the hope of attracting even higher loads.

lorddee
16th Apr 2006, 16:21
i flew out last sunday and back wednesday morn.. Both flights over 3/4 full mostly polish not many english .Excellent service apart from timings Plus we had to circle at warsaw due to airport not open until 5 am but we still arrived early

wawkrk
16th Apr 2006, 17:07
Does anyone know how many aircraft LOT has allocated to CW.
On friday, I saw 4 aircraft in full LOT livery with red CW stickers.

ServisairLBA
17th Apr 2006, 14:20
06:05 Amsterdam flight this morning cancelled due to KLM F70 (PH-KZM IIRC) had a crack in the windscreen on stand 14 if i remember correctly...crew last night apparently knew about it yet didnt report it and left it for the new crew this morning, how tight eh? :E Saw it today while bussing pax to the Jet2 FCO flight and the windscreen appeared to be normal, however apparently, the afternoon KL flight was bringing one in.

Polehill.flt70
17th Apr 2006, 16:43
Can anyone in the know confirm if the loads on the new Centralwings service to Warsaw are still looking as good as the 1st flight?? If they are, then hopefully we can get some better flight times in the not too distant future with the hope of attracting even higher loads.

107 on the flight on Sunday morning. So not that bad.

p.

ServisairLBA
17th Apr 2006, 19:31
For a new route, its not looking bad at all, dispite the late hour of travel! When mr centralwings visited LBA before the route launched to give a presentation to the staff, apparently he was very friendly and loved the servisair team.

i cant begin to tell you how extatic i am about having to stay at LBA dealing with the WAW flight until like 2am :uhoh: ..lets just hope i dont get the short straw for a while :ok:

hottowel
17th Apr 2006, 23:49
God shop the serviscare police LOL.. How did you know the KLM crew knew about it? They would have surely reported it to ops I think Mr.... Always a good reason why ops and flightdeck make decisions fella

ServisairLBA
18th Apr 2006, 14:07
Some ramp rat decided to tell me a whole story about it, hence the word, 'apparently'..rather bemusing to say the least but it passed on 15mins, if they knew about it we'd have known the night before the 6am flight that it was cancelled, instead they told us early morning,when the crew went on, it went indef delayed, then canx. So if they did tell ops, surely we should have known about it to start telling pax before the flight rather than last minute? some things do boggle the mind.

Nothing new happened today, unfortunately :(

Polehill.flt70
18th Apr 2006, 15:00
For a new route, its not looking bad at all, dispite the late hour of travel! When mr centralwings visited LBA before the route launched to give a presentation to the staff, apparently he was very friendly and loved the servisair team.

i cant begin to tell you how extatic i am about having to stay at LBA dealing with the WAW flight until like 2am :uhoh: ..lets just hope i dont get the short straw for a while :ok:

Well you could always chill with security !!!:p Some of them are totally human and you can always order take out!! Tee Hee :) .

P.

ServisairLBA
18th Apr 2006, 17:06
hahaha yeah, some are decent. although some seem as if their face dropped hell would break loose! sometimes the atmosphere is so tense its untrue :)

Polehill.flt70
18th Apr 2006, 22:15
hahaha yeah, some are decent. although some seem as if their face dropped hell would break loose! sometimes the atmosphere is so tense its untrue :)

Well, try staffing problems, rosta chaos and pay changes (not being paid for 6 weeks could break anyone). :mad: Never known a company where 99% of staff are looking for another job. Speaking to them i am surprised that some of them are even human with the stuff they have to put up with at the moment. They seem to get the c*** from all sides. They do their job and then get blasted for queues (when its not their fault), when they dont do their job its a disciplinary. They are in a no win situation and come 1st May i can see either the system failing totally or the staff dropping like flies with exhaustion and illness. I hope its some of the latter cos i would dread it to be the former.

From talking to them it seems they are trying to make the best out of a bad job and in some cases its the staff from the other depts (LBA, servisair, aviance etc) that give them most of the s*** they have to put up with. In my view the staff should stick together no matter what area of expertise. Security are doing a job just like the others and dont need the flack from other staff, we all get enough of that from the passengers .

Its a necessity no matter how much of a pain it is and we all have to go through it. Argue about it and quite frankly it makes the procedure a lot more hassle, dont and we all get through quickly and easily. A smile can make someones day and we as staff should try to do it a lot more to other staff, because we are all working under the same c*** condtions.

I always try to smile and sometimes i laugh!!! If i am not then the s*** is hitting the fan! And i assume that servisair staff are much the same. Although all the new staff seem friendly (give or take a couple). What you must remember is that its not personal, when a bag is searched its because it has to be, not because the security plod dislikes you, and if you are searched more than once in a day, then its the luck of the draw. Just keep a look out for the ones you 'like' or get on with and just be polite to those who you think are 'hard faced', because i can tell you even the plods within security will distance themselves from collegues like that!!!:uhoh:

:- P

Going loco
19th Apr 2006, 08:45
Sorting out the security area needs to be a top priority for someone at LBA. They doubled the check-in hall to cope with demand but kept the security area the same size : result = major bottleneck, frustrated passengers & staff and delayed flights. The big selling point of regional airports is the removal of the hassle factor. Having passengers spending half an hour trudging through security eats into away at that selling point.

loco

ServisairLBA
19th Apr 2006, 09:41
i hope that central screening gets expanded, you're right in what you say...it is small for the number of passengers that transit daily..i often see large queues and think, damn. Apparently the other day there were 17 staff in CS and still had a rather large queue to the end of the corridor by travelex, although its not just staff that could speed it up, its equipment like scanners and metal detectors that need adding imo.

Polehill.flt70
19th Apr 2006, 15:20
I have been at LBA for 2 years and in all that time there has been talk of cs moving, but it has not happened. The other morning all of the management were in at 4AM!!! and apparently Mr Meeson was not impressed at the way cs was run. Even with 20 odd staff working at full kilter cannot stop the queues because there is not enough room to move. There is talk of adding one more scanner, like that is gonna make any difference, because then you need more staff to search bags and then more space to do the bag searching. Speed is not the option, its space and staff. To cope with the amount of passengers that are now coming through security need more space to do the job correctly and more staff to do the job. Maybe if Mr M makes enough noise then the airport may take notice and do something, but i cannot see it happening this summer, there is not enough time (money??) to do it before 1stMay.

Seems like we all will have to grin (grimace) and bear it this year, or find another job..........

LBA RAMP RATS
19th Apr 2006, 16:48
LBA management could always erect another tent on the ramp.... stand 8 or 9 would be fairly central.....

LBIA
19th Apr 2006, 17:19
Hi

Did anyone notice how late the Centralwings flight from Warsaw this morning was? It didn’t land at LBA until 08:00, Only 7 Hours and 45 mins late and it was operated by a Travel Service B737-800. He left 1 hour later.

I wonder what the late staff at LBA thought of this?? The Pax would have been in the terminal building all night. I’m guessing these guys got no sleep last night too.

Polehill.flt70
19th Apr 2006, 17:56
LBA management could always erect another tent on the ramp.... stand 8 or 9 would be fairly central.....

Now now Ramp Rats..

..although i love it when i have to call Baggage Hall B and get 'Rent-a-tent' instead of the usual 'Hello baggage B' !!!! Makes me smile.:) :)

ashmac33
19th Apr 2006, 18:21
Its not all that bad working at LBA! i have a real giggle with some of the staff, just ignore the pax when things get hairy and just nod and agree! As for some of the management (both handling agents) they just get in the way and try to look important- not really just look s***. well theres my little piece, few TOM flights on certain dates have been cancelled due to lack of bookings e.g PMI will not operate from the very start of the season- it'll kick in 2/3 weeks in may.

ash

Polehill.flt70
19th Apr 2006, 18:33
Its not all that bad working at LBA! ash

I know ashmac. I enjoy my job, I love the people i work with. And yes, most days i do have a laugh. :p

LBA RAMP RATS
19th Apr 2006, 18:43
.... what i don't really understand is why they have to put tents on the ramp when they should really be extending down towards cookridge... I know its down to money but the tents won't come cheap and they can ill afford to lose the 2 parking stands for them.......http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/winksbuddie.gif

LBA RAMP RATS
19th Apr 2006, 18:45
great place to work... colleagues are great folk... jobs fun...what more could you want (apart from more money lol)

ServisairLBA
19th Apr 2006, 19:21
Been speaking to one of the management team at LBA today on a fag break and apparently the plans have been drawn up to enlarge the CS area at the end of the year.

Also G-LSAA decided to have a hydraulic leak after we boarded pax for the Palma rotation, pax were brought back then boarded onto G-LSAB (thank god it was in) and left with a 1hr 45min delay.

Furthermore, the queens BAE146 was on the multiflight ramp today carrying prince andrew apparently.

I do enjoy my job, just want a position on dispatch when one comes available :D

LBIA - Depending on what time they were on the next day if it left less than 8hrs before the staff were supposed to start, the morning crew would have relieved them, i.e the 4am/5am starters. However i know i wouldnt really be happy staying 8hrs (except on a bank holiday when its extra pay ;) ....actually i take that back :D )

What jobs do you all do at LBA anyway people?

Polehill.flt70
19th Apr 2006, 22:37
What jobs do you all do at LBA anyway people?

Now if i told you that servisairLBA, i would have to shoot you!!! If you really wanna know i will catch you in the terminal and tell you. :\

Leodis
20th Apr 2006, 12:22
.... what i don't really understand is why they have to put tents on the ramp when they should really be extending down towards cookridge... I know its down to money but the tents won't come cheap and they can ill afford to lose the 2 parking stands for them.......http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/winksbuddie.gif
Oh dear! You haven't been working at the airport for long enough to understand the airport management team:) They have to waste shedloads of money on silly worthless projects before they realise that they need to knock the thing down again to build the god damn thing properly. The 'tent' is a prime example, it cost 2m to construct, but when it is using valuble apron space, the true cost must be at least 5 million. What a waste!

Mooncrest
20th Apr 2006, 14:23
I share the sentiments of so many recent contributors to this thread. The apron around stands 1 - 3 was small enough as it was so what happens ? A crackpot idea to build another big top for the benefit of Jet2 (lick, lick) and cram Eastern and BMI into the remaining space. Sorry if you folks want your aircraft marshalled into wind. There's not enough room now so you'll have to pay your ramp handlers to do it afterwards. Short-sighted thinking and then some. The place to expand is definitely in the other direction and it's somewhere in the Masterplan. Why later and not now is a mystery.

At least airport staff can get through CS a bit quicker using the priority channel. Some perks for working at LBA. Still luv the place though.;)

ServisairLBA
20th Apr 2006, 20:35
At least airport staff can get through CS a bit quicker using the priority channel. Some perks for working at LBA. Still luv the place though.;)

Well, a pax agent (name withheld) was told by a new security agent that passengers have priority through the fast track channel, (as she placed her items in the box while the passenger was still farting around trying to get things out of her jacket etc) thus creating an argument as apparently in the past staff have always had priority as we go to board and if a delay is incurred, who do we blame? This was confirmed that staff have priority by the manager i mentioned in the previous post. So we are asked to use hall B security when we can, however its much more convenient using CS. Was anyone else aware of the apparent 'new changes' ?

Leodis
20th Apr 2006, 21:12
'D' Notice from DFT on the way me thinks without additional security staff in place. Two security staff to watch x-ray machines and handling oversized luggage AND searching staff!:eek:

Polehill.flt70
20th Apr 2006, 21:25
The 'new changes' seem to be heresay and rumour. It all depends on who you ask and when you ask. Its a case of chicken and egg, without staff the passengers dont board but the pax are paying for a flight and want to be through quick cos the plane may leave without them. So who is correct? Its a difficult question.

Personally, using hall B security is a pain, and i would avoid it especially with the gumpy security staff that usually get posted in there. Once again its down to staffing and space. And until something goes wrong and an accident occurs it seems nothing will be done to change it. :mad:

Leodis
20th Apr 2006, 21:40
I would say the passenger comes first. I know they're a pain, but at the end of the day, they pay our wages.

ServisairLBA
21st Apr 2006, 08:32
Female staff have refused to use hall B security in the past as there has never been a female officer in there, but apparently there is now.

Leodis
21st Apr 2006, 09:47
You can take your shoes off now if you know your going to bleep, but (apparently) only in the B-hall channel. Talk about changing the rules to suit.

ServisairLBA
21st Apr 2006, 17:43
Ive still yet to go through Hall B sec, apparently that leads to where we bring in dublin/belfast/cork arrivals :\ quite far from the gates, defeats the object really

giblets
21st Apr 2006, 18:01
The reason for the long queues is not the lack of space, but the security staff, never have any problems at any other airports, yet every single time i travel through LBA manage to get my hand luggage searched, even if there is no one round to actually check it, end up waiting 5 mins while they all have a chat.
Other than that, LBA seems ok, improvements are much appreciated.

Polehill.flt70
21st Apr 2006, 18:50
Female staff have refused to use hall B security in the past as there has never been a female officer in there, but apparently there is now.

This depends on the supervisor and shift which are working. Sometimes when female staff are low they are all required in central search and so there may not be a female in B Hall. As for that as Leodis has said shoes can now be taken off, but then we are in the area of H&S. No chairs to sit on to take shoes off. Floor being dirty and has stuff on it that could cause injury. I would think twice about taking my shoes off in there. Next time you are in just take a good look at it and think about the H&S aspect.

Polehill.flt70
21st Apr 2006, 18:59
The reason for the long queues is not the lack of space, but the security staff, never have any problems at any other airports, yet every single time i travel through LBA manage to get my hand luggage searched, even if there is no one round to actually check it, end up waiting 5 mins while they all have a chat.

Bit of a moot point there giblets. See my other post (above?), it all depends on the supervisor and staff that they have. As with any other company there are god and bad management (i place supervisors in this class just for ease). On some days the wait may be minimal on others way too long due to the mis-management of the staff they have. You must also try to understand that the 'plods' may have been told 'do not do anything unless you are told to do so', in this case if the supervisor has not be made aware of a bag needed to be searched then the wait is lengthened. Next time you come through maybe try to check out the one supervising and see if the wait is longer with different people "in charge", i can take bets now that it will vary with each supervisor and shift.

ServisairLBA
21st Apr 2006, 20:00
Next time you are in just take a good look at it and think about the H&S aspect.

Hehe thanks for the heads up mate!, i think im going to avoid it where i can but i have a good visual going on now thanks to your description :}

Leodis
21st Apr 2006, 22:28

I think your a little unfair there. On at least 4 occasions when I have had to go through the Central Screening area, every single search table was in use. Nobody other than the three "plods" searching passengers and staff had a chance to speak and even they were talking about how ridiculous the queues were getting and they appeared very apologetic.

ServisairLBA
22nd Apr 2006, 08:36
Agreed mate, Its not the security personnel's fault that the area they have to work in is so small, they didnt build it after all...i guess we have to wait for the end of the year to see what new suprises we have in store, but i guess its not going to help us this year so we are just gonna have to grit our teeth and bear it.

airhumberside
22nd Apr 2006, 14:11
Thomas Cook Summer 2007 brochure is reportedly showing Monastir flights on Sundays. Airline unknown

Great news for LBA and a further sign of Thomas Cook's commitment to the airport :)

ServisairLBA
22nd Apr 2006, 16:26
I wish we had more uk charters in, it does get boring seeing TOM and once a week FCA and MYT flights so hopefully TCX might bring one of their own to LBA for a change, MON would be nice too but i doubt it will ever happen.

LBA
22nd Apr 2006, 18:32
Monastir would be excellent news, Thomas Cook really do seem to be commited to LBA these days!

Lets hope it's not with the Astraeus aircraft for two reasons.

1) So we can see something different
2) It would probably mean a route would have to be dropped.

LBIA
22nd Apr 2006, 20:08
The New Thomas Cook flights to Monastir From LBA for 2007 are listed as been operated by Airline. (LBT)

Which I think if I'm correct is Novel Air Tunis. Who I think operate a fleet of Airbus A320's?? Correct me if I'm wrong Guys..

The NEW Flight arrives LBA at 09:00 and departs 1 hour later a 10:00 every Sunday.

ServisairLBA
22nd Apr 2006, 20:52
Which I think if I'm correct is Novel Air Tunis. Who I think operate a fleet of Airbus A320's?? Correct me if I'm wrong Guys..

LBT - Nouvelair Tunisie

Indeed you are correct mate, and also on the A320 front, yet another airbus to leeds...damn! :rolleyes: :sad:

The airline has the following as of march 2005 in the fleet

6 Airbus A320-200
2 MD83

Although another website is reporting it as

10 A320
2 A321

Either way, get ready for another airbus people

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2006, 21:29
All the Nouvelair UK flights are operated with A320s :ok:
Pretty sure they use the code BJ now though :E And yes, I am being serious ;)

GW76
22nd Apr 2006, 22:42
Not strictly true. Nouvelair are operating A321's this year some of which will appear in the UK

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2006, 22:49
Ah yes, forgot about the 321s. They've appeared at MAN already this year, although I would think LBA-MIR would be an A320 flight anyway

ashmac33
23rd Apr 2006, 14:44
I knew nothing of the hall B way , been there for ages- o well, will try it out next week! Had a lovely delay on the tomfly sat eve- bring on the LBA based aircraft- none of this DSA nonsense

ServisairLBA
23rd Apr 2006, 14:55
Yeah i noticed it arrived an hour late, yet departed with like a 4hr delay? :\ what went on there lad? tech?

ashmac33
23rd Apr 2006, 15:54
Yeah it went tech on the ground, Brake pad had worn out, so we had to wait for the engineer from DSA. The crew then ran out of hours, so the 7 hour delay happened, spent a great night in at gate 7! Went out for last orders tho haha at midnight in uniform hehe!

chris1976
23rd Apr 2006, 17:42
Anyone know how many direct destinations are served from LBA these days, including those routes which are awaiting commencement (like Inverness & Dusseldorf). Would be interesting to see how this compares with the likes of LPL, BRS, NCL , EMA etc.

SeamusCVT
23rd Apr 2006, 17:51
Well, on the Leeds Bradford International Airport web site I have counted 62 destinations (including UK destinations and Lapland). I stand to be corrected though...

I wish CVT would have that many!!!

MerchantVenturer
23rd Apr 2006, 18:03
Anyone know how many direct destinations are served from LBA these days, including those routes which are awaiting commencement (like Inverness & Dusseldorf). Would be interesting to see how this compares with the likes of LPL, BRS, NCL , EMA etc.
Counting the flights shown on the BRS website and taking into account the new easyJet and BA Connect routes that will start in the summer (and subtracting the MME route which is still shown) there are 56 scheduled destinations from that airport.

If you add in the charter routes (summer and winter) some of which are also served by scheduled operators, the total becomes 105, but the three Santa destinations are not shown on the destinations list, so they would take the total to 108.

Of course not all the scheduled routes are operated daily and none of the charter routes are.

LBIA
24th Apr 2006, 13:25
Originally Posted by chris1976

The Number of Scheduled and Charter destinations from Leeds/Bradford Currently stands at 58.
But once you add the Winter Cruise Departures, Transun Day Trips, Lapland Christmas charter flights and one off special departures it comes up to 65 destinations.

Heres a full run down as it presently stands.

01,Aberdeen = Eastern Airways
02,Amsterdam = KLM City Hopper, Jet2
03,Alicante = Jet2, Astraeus, Thomsonfly
04,Arrecife – Lanazrote = Jet2, Thomsonfly, Iberworld
05,Barcelona = Jet2
06,Belfast City = flybe
07,Belfast Int’l = Jet2
08,Bergerac = flybe (New For 2006 Commences 27/05/06 )
09,Bristol = Air Southwest
10,Brussels = bmi regional
11,Bodrum = Onur Air (New Charter For 2006)
12,Bourgas = Balkan Holiday Air
13,Chambery = Jet2, Astraeus
14,Corfu = Astraeus, Thomsonfly
15,Cork = bmi regional
16,Cyprus - Larnaca = Astraeus
17,Cyprus - Paphos = Thomsonfly (New Charter For 2006)
18,Dalaman = Thomsonfly, Sun Express
19,Dublin = Ryanair
20,Dusseldorf = Jet2 (New For 2006 Commences 08/05/06)
21,Edinburgh = bmi regional
22,Exeter = flybe
23,Faro = Jet2, Astraeus, First Choice Airways
24,Fuerteventura = Futura Int’l
25,Funchal - Maderia = Astraeus
26,Geneva = Jet2
27,Glasgow = bmi regional
28,Heraklion - Crete = Astraeus (New Charter For 2006)
29,Ibiza = Jet2, Astraeus, Thomsonfly
30,Inverness = Eastern Airways (New For 2006 Commences 24/04/06)
31,Innsbruck = Austrian Arrows
32,Jersey = Air Southwest (New Charter For 2006 No Scheduled Service)
33,Las Palmas - Gran Canaria = Astraeus
34,London Heathrow = bmi british midland
35,Mahon - Menorca = Jet2, Astraeus, Thomsonfly
36,Malaga = Jet2, Astraeus, Thomsonfly
37,Malta Luqa = Air Malta, Britishjet.com
38,Milan Bergamo = Jet2 (New For 2006 Commenced 03/04/06)
39,Monastir = Nouvelair Tunisie (Newly announced for summer 2007)
40,Murcia = Jet2
41,Newquay = Air Southwest
42,Nice = Jet2
43,Palma De Mallorca = Jet2, Astraeus, Thomsonfly, Futura Int’l, Air Europa
44,Paris Cdg = bmi regional, Jet2
45,Plymouth = Air Southwest
46,Pisa – Florence = Jet2(New For 2006 Commences 26/05/06)
47,Prague = Jet2
48,Reus = Astraeus, Thomsonfly
49,Rhodes = Astraeus (New Charter For 2006)
50,Rome Flumicio = Jet2 (New For 2006 Commenced 03/04/06)
51,Southampton = flybe, Eastern Airways
52,Taba-Egypt = Astraeus (New Charter For 2006)
53,Tenerife South = Jet2, Thomsonfly, Air Europa
54,Venice Marco Polo = Jet2
55,Verona = Astraeus
56,Varna = Balkan Holiday Air
57,Warsaw = Centralwings(New For 2006 Commenced 04/04/06)
58,Zakynthos-Zante = Astraeus (New Charter For 2006)

Others…….
59,Acapulco = Thomsonfly (P&O Cruises)
60,Bridgetown - Barbados = Thomsonfly (P&O Cruises & Fred Olsean)
61,Fort Lauderdale = Thomsonfly (P&O Cruises)
62,Reykjavik = (Transun Day Trips)
63,Palmero - Sicily = (Transun)
64,Bergen = (Transun & Norwegian Sea Cruises)
65,Evens = (Transun Lapland Day Trips)

chris1976
24th Apr 2006, 19:19
Thanks LBIA - a great post !!
I suppose it now begs the question where are the most obvious gaps. Here's my thoughts for what they are worth.
Budapest / Valencia / London Gatwick / Bergen - These are already served by Jet2 from other UK bases. I believe the first two would work well from Leeds. Also, Valencia is no longer available from DSA. I would think that having the logistics in place already would make these ideal to grow.
Germany - This must be a hugely under-served market from LBA. Hopefully the loads on Dusseldorf will be the start of much more here. Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, Hanover, Stuttgart. Any chance of these being picked off by someone other than Jet2 - maybe a German carrier??
Scandinavia - Again a totally under-served market. Surely LBA could support at least a daily service to the capitals - Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki ? SAS the best hope here?
Poland - Hopefully the Centralwings route network can be expanded to bring in some of the other Polish cities? Katowice, Krakow, Wroclaw.
Other major Euro cities which would be nice to see from LBA - Vienna, Madrid, Riga (the new Prague!), Lyon, Toulouse.
Ireland - Given the successful route to DUB, I'm surprised that routes to Knock, Galway, Shannon, Kerry etc haven't been exploited. Probably more chance of someone like Aer Arran picking up these than Ryanair.
Finally, the largest gap being the transatlantic one. CO to Newark seems to have been talked about for years. Is LBA any nearer now than a few years back. What about Zoom to YYZ??
Anyone have any thoughts / comments on the above??

ServisairLBA
24th Apr 2006, 20:51
Finally, the largest gap being the transatlantic one. CO to Newark seems to have been talked about for years. Is LBA any nearer now than a few years back. What about Zoom to YYZ??
Anyone have any thoughts / comments on the above??

Well a while ago there was a survey on the website for people to fill in about interest for a new flight to america, after it was complete they would present it to the airlines and see what they could do, no word was mentioned of this again...but id guess demand for LH flights out of leeds would be pretty good, as we all have to travel to manchester or even further afield depending on destination. Only problem is when DSA start this year with them, its going to be competition on routes, especially as the gap isnt that big between the 2 airports. Will the airlines show interest in LBIA or DSA? Watch ITV this time next week and find out :cool:

682ft AMSL
25th Apr 2006, 16:56
Watch ITV this time next week and find out :cool:
Given no one else has asked the question, I might as well! What exactly should we be watching on ITV next week. A programme? A news bulletin? Emmerdale?

ServisairLBA
25th Apr 2006, 17:37
Actually that part was a joke :\ but oh well ill go along with it

You can see chucklevision,airline, ian claytons journeys..whatever takes your fancy ..or at selected times and days, a bluey! :ok:

Also whoever asked about the Centralwings flight which diverted to manchester, the reason was Weather in LBA apparently, pax were bussed to manchester, was chaos apparently.

Leodis
25th Apr 2006, 18:24
I see contractors have moved in and work has now commenced beond the former 27/09 runway on construction of 4 new aircraft stands. :)

HOODED
25th Apr 2006, 20:08
Re the Centralwings diversion, a mate was on it and the flight was early just as it went down to 250m. Twenty minutes later it was back up to 800m but too late he'd landed at MAN. They got away after 5 am after the coaches finally turned up from Huddersfield!

ServisairLBA
26th Apr 2006, 20:42
sods law mate, glad i wasnt on that shift! got one on centralwings coming up though on saturday :{

airhumberside
27th Apr 2006, 17:44
For Summer 2007 Thomson have dropped Malaga and added Gerona

ServisairLBA
28th Apr 2006, 17:02
Heard through the grapevine Jet2 are going to buy 2 airbridges and LBIA are to have a corridor constructed by gate 5A ..well..that kinda way on, to be able to attach them to. Whether its true or not i dont know, but who knows..it will probably be a while like everything else.

Plus security decided to put the nylon strap barrier thingys down the corridor right to the start of travelex in hall A , splitting up fast track and normal security and also closing off the public ramp to the door outside ...wonder if this will be a regular occurance for summer? Bit of an arse really seen as i have to park in the long stay car park and the ramp was used for convenience rather than having to double back on myself :\

Polehill.flt70
28th Apr 2006, 18:41
May i correct you on that point ServisairLBA.

Its not security that have come up with that bright idea but LBA and the powers that be. As ever, short term thinking again. No revolving doors to get in and out and poor passengers queueing through to A Hall. Then when they do get off the plane and need to get to Long stay they have to walk outside or use the already oversubscribed minibus.

If it were up to security (as often i ask) they want/need a larger room and more people to do the job.

And yes this will be a regular occurence for summer. Take a walk through the 'atrium' (where the revolving doors were) and look on the floor.......nice red stickers where the tensa barriers will be placed. Just see how many!!;) And them think of the summer!!!!!!!!

LBIA
28th Apr 2006, 19:45
I Don't know if anyone has noticed but Centralwings flights to Wrasaw from LBA are not bookable after May 25th 2006 anymore.

So whats happened guys. Have Centralwings dropped the LBA-WAW route after just 2 months of operation or are they up to something else.

Please let us know when you know, As I and a group of 3 other people were looking at a Cheap weekend away over in Warsaw later this summer.

ServisairLBA
28th Apr 2006, 20:25
LBIA, I'll try find out for you tomorrow when im in mate :)

Polehill.flt70, correct me all you want bud..id rather proper information be given so if i stand to be corrected, so be it :ok:
Great stuff about the barriers :rolleyes: , guess we have to be prepared for changes that may seem logical to the airport management team, but are a farce in practice seen by passengers and staff.
The minibus is a joke too, id been waiting for the bus for 15mins and he came, passengers turned up and he said passengers had priority so i had to get out. He said 'ill come back for you in 5mins' ..13mins later he returned for it to be done again and i had no ride, i started to walk up and he came back, put me in the front then guess what? more passengers, he said instead of making you walk up , get in the boot as passengers come first! ...i mean in front of all passengers this was highly embarassing ...but still, i dont suffer much now as im on most earlies!

Leodis
29th Apr 2006, 13:25
LBIA

I don't know what the situation is with them but from what I have seen so far they are a complete shower! Flights scheduled to depart nearly 2am in the morning, lack of aircraft to do the job properly, cancelling the Thursday flights, no advertising on the UK side. The list is endless, they're a farse. They do appear to be getting reasonable loads, but the passengers all seem to be Polish. Remembering mr PM's golden fiscal rule "You must have a good split of passengers from both ends of the route". I would expect that if any money is to be made on this route, it'll be from the Leeds end not the Warsaw end? So if the airlines is unable to get reasonable loads from the Leeds end then :{ ???

Leodis
29th Apr 2006, 13:32
Polehill.flt70

I'm looking forward to seeing the Monday morning rush with all the airport authority people overseeing the queues and all the tenser barriers fully operational by mid next week:} I wonder how many business passnegers traveling on domestic routes will choose the train instead on the plane by the end of next month?

......oops!! forgot they'll not be in on a bank holiday.

Polehill.flt70
29th Apr 2006, 14:20
......oops!! forgot they'll not be in on a bank holiday.

Yeah but i am :D , oh double time.........

ServisairLBA
29th Apr 2006, 16:35
Yeah but i am :D , oh double time.........

The closest we know to 'double time' is a double shift :rolleyes: double time at the airport not in the bank

ashmac33
29th Apr 2006, 16:41
ye im loving my pay rate on monday morn, bit of q combing will have to be dont tho, im not lettin any of my pax miss their sun express dlm! Though saying that, will i be able to get thru fast track, q go's just as far back- joke!

ServisairLBA
29th Apr 2006, 17:07
ye im loving my pay rate on monday morn, bit of q combing will have to be dont tho, im not lettin any of my pax miss their sun express dlm! Though saying that, will i be able to get thru fast track, q go's just as far back- joke!

The chav express, exhilarating

Just push your way through mate, we have priority ;) haha!

LBA
29th Apr 2006, 18:26
Leodis

They have a reputation for lack of aircraft, delays etc, so it's no surprise!

I've seen the odd advert in Bradford on the back of buses, but it doesn't exactly stand out next to the Jet2 adverts!

Leodis
29th Apr 2006, 22:33
Just been told the Warsaw service is cancelled from the end of May and to expect confirmation of this news over the next few days. A real shame if this is true.

As LBIA pointed out, the service has already been removed from the centralwings website booking system from the end of May. :sad:

wawkrk
30th Apr 2006, 07:56
Anything connected with LOT is a disaster.
They could not organise a p*** up in a brewery.

They have strangled the industry and airports in Poland for years and provided a sub-standard service.
I could tell many horror stories.
Now the locos have given them a wake up call.

682ft AMSL
30th Apr 2006, 07:57
A strange one if true. Given it is only 4 weeks since the inaugral service, there can't really be anything in terms of passenger volumes or yields that they know now that they didn't know before the service launched. If the service wasn't selling well, why bother launching for 2 months? Everything I've heard suggests the loads have been very healthy, despite the hour. Strange also that Centralwings just begun an advertising campiagn in the area. I observed ads on 4 or so busses during a trip in Leeds yesterday that have clearly only just gone into circulation. That would leave some sort of unforseen operational issue that has only come to light since the flights started operating as the most likely explanation. I'm not sure what that might be. The flights, 2 days of operation aside, have been punctual and I note that the Warsaw - Shannon service operates overnight with similar timings to the Leeds service and is still on sale.

wawkrk
30th Apr 2006, 09:13
LOT were short of aircraft before they went into this adventure as Central Wings.A few days ago I saw 4 aircraft in full LOT livery with CW stickers.
So the mainline must have been at least 4 aircraft down.
Then big surprise,they have to use them for LOT flights.

Leodis
30th Apr 2006, 09:23
Lets hope there is an eleventh hour reprieve. Otherwise at least we know that the route is sustainable with the load factors achieved by Centralwings. So like 682ft AMSL pointed out, if the airline has other reasons behind the cancellation of its service then there is still chance for another airline to take the service on at a later date, if necessary.

ServisairLBA
30th Apr 2006, 12:33
107 outbound on the Warsaw flight last night and 139+4 inbound, what a nightmare it was ..a passenger got off it totally ***** out of his head, fell over on the ramp then staggered all the way to immigration where he was met by special branch ...his hand luggage had 6 bottles of vodka and a playboy magazine. They just walk all over the place and dont care.

No servisair supervisors or anything know about it being cancelled, however i expect theres gonna be joy about that as nobody likes doing it as its a pain in the ***.

The aircraft was in full Centralwings livery last night also reg SP-LLF

We do not allow swearing on PPRuNe - PPP

Polehill.flt70
30th Apr 2006, 20:07
The closest we know to 'double time' is a double shift :rolleyes: double time at the airport not in the bank

Well its double if we get it paid, but we dont get a day in lieu. You know you love it at the airport....stop moaning......:) :)

Polehill.flt70
30th Apr 2006, 20:12
107 outbound on the Warsaw flight last night and 139+4 inbound, what a nightmare it was ..a passenger got off it totally pissed out of his head, fell over on the ramp then staggered all the way to immigration where he was met by special branch ...his hand luggage had 6 bottles of vodka and a playboy magazine. They just walk all over the place and dont care.

No servisair supervisors or anything know about it being cancelled, however i expect theres gonna be joy about that as nobody likes doing it as its a pain in the arse.

The aircraft was in full Centralwings livery last night also reg SP-LLF

Bit of a spotter on the side servisair?????? join the club....

ServisairLBA
1st May 2006, 02:44
Too right i am :D

You'll occasionally find me falling off the wall at the cemetary at the end of 14 taking pictures and forgetting not to step back or losing my balance :{

RobT100
1st May 2006, 09:16
Its not all that bad working at LBA! i have a real giggle with some of the staff, just ignore the pax when things get hairy and just nod and agree! As for some of the management (both handling agents) they just get in the way and try to look important- not really just look s***. well theres my little piece, few TOM flights on certain dates have been cancelled due to lack of bookings e.g PMI will not operate from the very start of the season- it'll kick in 2/3 weeks in may.
ash

BY PMI flight went this morning !

ashmac33
1st May 2006, 10:09
As you'll read in my post rob, on certain dates. Clearly stated

*757*boy*
1st May 2006, 14:14
ashmac33

Which dates Ash? I've got PMI on my roster frequently throughout May and so have many of my friends - not receiving any calls from crewing to tell us otherwise.........

ashmac33
1st May 2006, 14:30
will double check it, just received amenments memo's from tfly hq couple of weeks back. It could possibly of changed, id forgotten all bout this anyway. When you next flying 757 boy?

RobT100
1st May 2006, 16:17
As you'll read in my post rob, on certain dates. Clearly stated

Not very clear at all AshMac, do you actually know when these have been cancelled as you have clearly stated that some do not start until 2nd/3rd week in may.
If you could clear up any confusion that would be great.

*757*boy*
1st May 2006, 21:42
When you next flying 757 boy?

What's that got to do with the claim that T/fly are cancelling flights? I'm sorry but I believe that my personal roster is confidential and not something to be divulged on an open internet forum. However, you'll see me around this weekend;)

Leodis
1st May 2006, 21:52
*757*boy*

We'll all be looking out for you now:)

ashmac33
2nd May 2006, 11:38
Calm down everyone, all i posted a while back is what i saw, i will double check tonight when i am in again. Will see you at the w.end then 757, hope your not as touchy in person.

SLF@LBA
2nd May 2006, 23:17
Copy of e mail received from Centralwings - I queried the inability to book flights after May:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your interest in Centralwings airlines.
We hereby announce, that from 25th of May flights from and to Leeds are hold.
They can not be bought. The situation with these flights will be clear by 10th
of May.
Yours sincerely

Best regards,

CENTRALWINGS
Reservation Center
tel: +48 22 558 00 45
e-mail: [email protected]

Unquote

HOODED
3rd May 2006, 06:23
Given they've had reasonable loads I can only imagine it's lack of aircraft/crews thats causing problems. Maybe they could lease a Jet2 ac to do the route from the Leeds end until they can sort out their problems. Given the timings of the flight there should be a 733 or 752 available if they need it. Also if they did this they could even land when the RVRs are low!:}

wawkrk
3rd May 2006, 14:36
How could CW lease Jet2 aircraft when Jet2 are already leasing because of aircraft shortage.
As I have said before, I reckon Jet2 would have a go at this route and many others if they could find aircraft and crews.
Then of course parking problems.

HOODED
3rd May 2006, 15:26
Jet2 are leasing ac to cover maintenance and anyway their routes are generally 0700-2200 with a couple of exceptions. The point I was trying to make is there are ac sitting around at LBA all night and the CW flight is 0015 arr 0145 dep. This could easily be done by a Jet2 ac within CWs timetable. If however Jet2 decided to do a flight to WAW themselves I would expect Jet2 to try for better timings.

ManchesterMan
4th May 2006, 23:47
CENTRALWINGS

According to CH Aviation the airline will
pull the Warsaw-LBA route at the end
of the month!

MM

wawkrk
5th May 2006, 14:09
Central Wings

I noticed on the LBIA website today EA welcomes new airline Central Wings to LBA.
Does he not read pprune ?

Polehill.flt70
5th May 2006, 22:04
Supposedly a cancelled flight this morning, but still went out with 42 pax on it. Even the Terminal Officer didnt know about it. Good job that security were on the ball, they have started new shifts, it seems, so there are more of them on during the night to cover these late flights.

P

airhumberside
6th May 2006, 15:22
A LBA-SSH flight is in Panorama's Summer 2007 brochure. The airline is not yet known

Tommyinyork
6th May 2006, 16:47
Im guessing Astreaus will operate the service, and a Las Palmas service etc will be given to Air Europa.

Fandango71
8th May 2006, 17:50
hi

For any of you still in doubt regarding whether this flight was a printing error, please see the response I recieved regarding SSH from LBA.

I am pleased to advise that the LBA - SSH flight will be loaded into the
system shortly, all departments are running behind schedule due to a staff
shortage. Our aviation department are aiming to get this route loaded by
the end of business today. If they are not successful this will be
completed tomorrow.

cool!!

RobT100
8th May 2006, 22:27
I wouldn't get too excited by all this SSH stuff - 12 months is a long time and LBA has had this flight up on the boards before only for it to be pulled (think this was MYT about 3 years ago).
This also happened with respect to Varna, Bodrum (Thomson Summer06) and Las Palmas (Thomson Winter05/6).

So please, just calm down for now.

LBIA
9th May 2006, 13:17
Well LBIA's website has an announcement regarding the Centralwings LBA - Warsaw route. It has now been comfirmed that the route has been dropped

Heres the official statement on the situation.

Heres the official announcement eveyone's been waiting for about Centralwings operationas at LBA. The following is shown on the LBIA Site.

Quote:

Centralwings Announcement
9 May 2006

Centralwings will cease operations at Leeds Bradford airport as of May 25th. This decision has been taken due to the airline's expansion into new markets and fleet constraints. Anyone who has an enquiry about their booking will need to contact their travel agent or Centralwings direct on t: 00 48 22 558 00 45

ENDS

So we had it. Now we have lost it. Do you think another airline might want to pick the route up???

TANGO100
9th May 2006, 15:26
If nobody does they must be mad, I work nights and see the load factors on this flight and I can tell you it's bl***y good.
I bet your looking at a minimum of 80%+

Come on Jet2 get some more aircraft and look at this route, the Polish community around Leeds is quite vast so there is def. a demand for this flight.

:ok:

wawkrk
9th May 2006, 16:16
As I have said on previous postings, anything connected with LOT is a disaster waiting to happen.
One small example of many.
I was waiting at Krakow Balice airport for some vistors from Japan arriving about 23.30 from Warsaw.
The screen was displaying on time.
Then, the PA system announced the flight from Warsaw has just landed.
Then, 1 hour later, the screen was saying indefinate delay.
I asked the LOT agent to call Warsaw at about 01.30. he said the flight was still on the apron and they did not know when it would depart.
Whilst this idiot was speaking, the passengers walked out of the arrivals gate.

TANGO100
9th May 2006, 16:24
That has to be the "funniest" thing I have read in a long time, thanks for that, my sides are still splitting :} :ok:

PPRuNe Pop
9th May 2006, 17:30
Heads up everyone. As with Manchester and Luton and maybe one or two others we are closing this thread.

This will NOT stop you reading them but the nature of the threads is such that old news is not news after a short time. Just use search and read if you need to but carry on on the NEW LEEDS = Second floor thread,

Just one thing. Please avoid pointless posts, they make our lives as mods difficult.

Carry on guys.

PPP