PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a Comm License in Canada and returning to South Africa

gilesparnell
4th Oct 2005, 20:53
Hi there

I am interesting in doing my comm / ATPL training in Canada, and would then like to return to my home country in South Africa.

Does anyone know if the qualifications i would obtain in Canada would allow me to fly commercially in South Africa, (and Europe for that matter) ?

Regards
Giles

rigpiggy
5th Oct 2005, 13:03
NO. just cheaper flight hours

gilesparnell
5th Oct 2005, 13:08
Hi

So does that mean - 'No', i can't do my training in Canada?

HappyPilot
5th Oct 2005, 15:56
Hi gilesparnell,

there's nothing stopping u from training in Canada as long as u obtain the right visa etc etc. If u wanna fly bk in SA you would need to convert to a SA CPL/IR(ME). Which I believe would involve writing the theory exams and doing two flight tests, I might be wrong but that is what I think it involves. Its your home country so at least you have the right to live and work there.

The same pretty much applies to Europe, u need the right to live and work there. For the conversion, u need to either write the CPL and IR theory exams or write the 14 ATPL exams and the it is training as required for the CPL plus the practical test, and extra 15 hours of training for the IR plus the practical test.

Hope that clears it up.

HP

gilesparnell
5th Oct 2005, 16:00
Thanks Mate

Thanks much clearer.

flash8
9th Oct 2005, 19:48
I believe you can undertake a Transport Canada CPL/IR on a tourist visa (or tourist visa exemption depending on your country, SA should be OK), at least according to Harvair (fine oufit btw).

Boeing737jock
10th Oct 2005, 14:29
I am a Canuck

I work on B737 with my Transport Canada license in SA pm me i explain to you!

High Flyer rocks!

:cool: