PDA

View Full Version : Balloons near MAN ??

Krystal n chips
4th Oct 2005, 13:33
Heading into Manchester today on the M62 from Liverpool and just about passing Barton when I see a balloon on my left-say at about 2000ft and about 5miles away to the North / North West---look right and see another one off the South at maybe 10 miles ?

Now as balloons are a pretty rare event in this part of the world, sadly, I just wondered if anybody knows what they were doing and why in the MAN zone. The one to the South looked as if it was getting close to 06 but I couldn't be certain here. Not a bad day for a balloon flight I have to admit--wind less than 5kts and a cloud base of about, I would guess 5 / 6 k---this was around 10.00 / 10.30 hrs local by the way. Anybody ?

got caught
4th Oct 2005, 16:38
Krystal, I'm just trying to get my bearings- I think the balloon you spotted to the North/ North West woulb be outsibe the control zone.

I spotted a tethered balloon just to the west of Thelwall Viaduct- probably advertising some place in Warrington- could this have been your sighting ?

cheers gc.

Krystal n chips
4th Oct 2005, 18:57
got caught------

er, sorry, no offence here but I do know a hot air balloon when I see one---and these two were certainly airborne. The one you refer to is by Thelwall and is a tethered gimmick--as seen regulary on my excursions up the M6. Maybe I should post the question in the ATC forums--somebody at MAN would know the answer I suspect ?

DBo
4th Oct 2005, 20:20
Balloons often crop up in unexpected places during October. There is an informal competition called "The Great British Long Jump" (GBLJ) fot the longest flight to be made in the British Isles within the month of October.

As you can imagine trying to get a 200+ mile balloon flight in the UK without entering controlled airspace is pretty challenging (minimal ability to steer around it) so folk are willing to go to a lot more trouble than they would bother with than for a 1 hr "pop & drop". 250 miles, & 8 hours duration are not exceptional. I believe that nowadays most serious entrants carry transponders.

Krystal n chips
4th Oct 2005, 20:32
DBo,
My thanks for the explanation. I can empathise with the problems and conditions as a glider pilot though--- but the event itself sounds like a lot of fun actually ! :D

Stedders
4th Oct 2005, 22:25
Hi,

I too spotted two balloons round the Manchester zone, although from the M60 not the M62. One was just outside the M60 around the junction with the A5103 Princess Parkway so less then 5nm from the airport. Interesting to know how they get permission to go there as you'd have no chance in a light single!

Stedders

Squadgy
5th Oct 2005, 05:41
There are a couple of balloons operating fairly regulary within the Manchester Zone. One is G-OMEN, which is the Manchester Evening News advert balloon.

The balloons are RT equipped and subject to a VFR clearance from approach. Not sure if they have a Special Flight Number.

Manchester ATC are very accomodating to GA, I have been in the area in a light single a few times.