PDA

View Full Version : Airbus FMGC

screwdriver
3rd Oct 2005, 15:38
Anyone think that the FMGC 2 is an improvement over version 1.0.
I hear that some operators are far from happy with their new kit.

FlapsOne
3rd Oct 2005, 23:56
I think it's very good - although not perfect!

What specific moans have you heard of?

Carnage Matey!
4th Oct 2005, 00:33
From my limited experience its an utter, unmitigated disaster! Twice as many buttons to press to achieve the same outcome as FMGC 1 and countless system bugs leading to major failures. The only improvement over FMGC 1 was the ability to retain 'abeam' points when performing a 'Direct To', yet even that is riddled with bugs which can cause you to bypass the holding fix you planned to go direct to anyway. Rubbish!

Zeke
4th Oct 2005, 03:35
My Airbus FMGC does not have any buttons on it :{

Or are you asking about the Honeywell or Smiths MCDU ? :uhoh:

Dream Land
4th Oct 2005, 14:20
I do like the feature that prior to an intercepting a segment it will give you profile info like TD, on the old box you had to be in NAV first, also like when you clean up to the CF it will draw the extended CL, don't really utilize abeam points much at my operation. On the big bus I know they have things like the 10 nearest airports, that would be nice.

D.L.:hmm:

mcdhu
5th Oct 2005, 10:03
It is surely great for the big buses with equal time points, nearest airports, constant mach segments etc, but for short haul it's all a bit of a 'faff'. It also seems a little 'tender' with frequent 'Please Wait', 'Map Not Aval' and 'Set Offside Rng/Mode' ie Reset/Resynch with no apparent cause. Inserting winds has also become a bit tedious.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Fly3
6th Oct 2005, 06:30
I can assure you that inserting winds in "the big bus" is tedious in the extreme as well.

Zeke
7th Oct 2005, 08:16
I can assure you that inserting winds in "the big bus" is tedious in the extreme as well.

A little reading of FCOM 4 would reveal they only need inserting if changed by 30 deg, 30 kt, or 5 deg change in temp in the MCDU !