PDA

View Full Version : Two dead in Hampshire crash (Merged)

newswatcher
3rd Oct 2005, 09:04
BBC reports - "Two people have been killed in a light aircraft crash in Hampshire. It is not known what time the accident happened - a local farmer found the wreckage and called police shortly after 1400 BST on Sunday. The plane came down in a field at Snooks Farm, Snooks Lane, South Baddesley, near Lymington. The pilot and passenger, a man and woman in their late 40s or early 50s, were found dead. Air accident investigators are to visit the scene. Police said the wreckage of the single-engine plane would remain in place overnight and the area had been cordoned off."

Proman
3rd Oct 2005, 10:00
BBC and Southern Daily Echo report light aircraft crash, with two dead near Lymington.

A/C was found by farmer at 14.00 yesterday afternoon, but apparently had crashed sometime during Saturday evening/early hours of Sunday. Specific location is Shotts Lane, South Baddesley.

Aircraft is described in media as 'Baker Banbi' (?), flying from Sussex to the West Country, and came down near a private strip on a farm. Two dead found inside wreck, which is still off limits and spent last evening being studied both by AAIB and local plods under floodlights.

The media tone is 'mystery flight' as it wasn't (reportedly) in radio contact, no squawk, and although it's near to houses, fell in silence.

Condolences to families of both victims and their familes - described in public domain as in 40's to 50's.

African Tech Rep
3rd Oct 2005, 10:37
Don’t know where baker comes in – but there is a Banbi type aircraft that seem to be a derivative of a microlight (http://www.pfa.org.uk/the_pfa/pfa_rally/rally_2002/rally_in_pictures/homebuilts.asp)
More info on the type can be found on http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/Dyn%20Aero/FRAME2.htm

TCAS FAN
3rd Oct 2005, 11:00
From what I understand, the aircraft was being provided FIS by Solent Radar, en-route Shoreham to Dunkeswell, via the coast, on Sunday 2 nd October. Aircraft was advised to contact Bournemouth after passing south of Southampton at around 1200 UTC. The aircraft apparently never established contact with Bournemouth.

EddieHeli
3rd Oct 2005, 15:48
When building a PFA type aircraft it is sometimes registered with the surname of the builder and the type, as for instance if you were to build a plane from plans you would be the manufacturer.
So in this case the builder was prabably called Baker and the type is a Banbi. If it was factory built it would be a Dyn Aero MCR01 Banbi

EddieHeli

Rod1
3rd Oct 2005, 16:40
EddieHeli

You are quite correct, G-INFO has one such entry which includes full name and address…..

Rod1

Confabulous
3rd Oct 2005, 17:15
First BanBi fatal in the UK? :{ :ugh:

My thoughts to the families.

Confab

Fuji Abound
3rd Oct 2005, 18:57
I knew the pilot and the passenger very well.

It is so sad. The pilot enjoyed his flying immensely. I shall miss them both very much.

God bless.