PDA

View Full Version : Plane hits sign on runway.

drawmer
2nd Oct 2005, 17:06
OK, I know nothing about flying, but I was surprised at this incident.

Saturday before last (24th Sept) I was working for a Motorsport experience company at Enstone. We were running a Ferrari experience day on the western end of the runway. The rest of the runway was in use for GA. (I've worked there for some time, and this isn't unusual, except that sometimes the heavier stuff only seems to get airborne 'cause the ground leaves the 'plane over the dip when the wind is from the west.

Anyway, on this Saturday, I was standing by our hospitality unit waaay down towards the end of the runway, when I heard an aircraft nearby.

There was a Varieze (or long, I can't tell the difference) which looked as if it had taxied right down to our part of the runway, it turned to port to start it's take off uphill in an easterly direction. The plane was off the part of the runway in use, and in amongst our cones and marker boards. Running up to full power, it started off diagonally across the runway back towards the proper end of the runway in use. As it accellerated, it hit and broke one of our plastic 'BRAKE' signs which we use to tell our guests to use the middle pedal since they can't always be relied on to make any judgement of their own. This sign was made out of a heavy solid plastic NOT foam, and I was suprised to see the aircraft continue across the runway, straighten up and then take off.

How strong is the leading edge of one of those jobbies, it must have taken a hell of rap?

bookworm
2nd Oct 2005, 18:14
...and I was suprised to see the aircraft continue across the runway, straighten up and then take off.

Hope it ended more happily than it did for this one:

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_500558.pdf

drawmer
2nd Oct 2005, 21:42
Yikes! I hope so too.

But...I can't believe the pilot didn't know he'd hit something, and he didn't stop to do a visual. Maybe the composite wings are suitable for light destruction jobs.