PDA

View Full Version : N-Reg C421 Overrun at Cromer

eyeinthesky
1st Oct 2005, 18:49
I noticed a mention somewhere today of an N-reg C421 which had overrun the runway at Cromer Northrepps. I understand there were no injuries, which is good, but I do wonder how many people would try to get one of those into such a short field.

Anyone got any more information?

G-KEST
1st Oct 2005, 21:45
The mind boggles at attempting to shoehorn a C421 into Northrepps. Chris Gurney must have had an apoplectic fit though he will have collected an extended parking fee as well as the one for "landing" so perhaps he is rather more sanguine about the disruption to his fine LITTLE aerodromes idyllic existence. Anyway it is one less "N" bird for the DfT to fret about.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:cool: :cool: :cool:

niknak
1st Oct 2005, 22:01
Yes it was a C421, 1 pilot and two passengers, no one was injured in the incident at 1820 last night (Friday).
Allegedly it overan the runway and ended up on the road which skirts the airfield.
No reasons have been released as to why the incident occured, other than, unless it was a genuine emergency, abject stupidity on behalf of the pilot.

I wonder what his insurance company will have to say?

Talkdownman
1st Oct 2005, 23:53
......and one less 'N-bird' to bust the London CTRs............again....................

helicopter-redeye
2nd Oct 2005, 08:18
Luck it was landing on the uphill runway, else it might have stopped on the busy road in Sheringham ... :=

IO540
2nd Oct 2005, 08:31
Why specifically mention N-reg?

There are FAR more amateurs flying G-reg, than N-reg - the main (but not sole) reason being that G-reg is what one trains in, and what most rent thereafter.

Also N-reg (Euro based) maintenance is on the whole to a far higher standard, simply because most of the pilots are owners, with the requisite budgets. A far higher % of G-reg pilots are renters.

I have 120 hours in various Gs and cringe when I think what I used to have to climb into. I'd really have to plumb the depths of sheds on UK's farm strips to find an N in such a lousy maintenance state, whereas it's pretty normal for the UK training / self fly hire fleet.

This is getting like the AAIB reports - dragging out N-reg and commenting on licensing issues when it is irrelevant to the incident.

rustle
2nd Oct 2005, 12:14
But no doubt your right, it will add to the DFT's case against N reg...

Black Sabbath recorded a track called "Paranoid" which would make an excellent backing track to this thread ;)

niknak
2nd Oct 2005, 23:24
Maybe because it was an N reg aeroplane, simple as that.

More importantly, this could be the beginning of the end for Cromer International.
They've been unfortunate to have more than their fare share of prangs in the recent past, and there is much muttering in the adjacent village.
It's not just NIMBYs, Chris invites people to his pad, quite rightly expecting them to comply with the ppr instructions given, but an increasing hooligan majority don't, i.e they fly over the village, pay no regard to the wishes of others, and it all flys back into Chris's face.
An East/West runway would solve most of the safety problems, but this is not practical as it would mean flying directly over the village.
The parish council is under pressure to do something about it, and the Parish clerk is no longer grovelled to as he once was, in fact he may well lose his place at the next election. Consequently, pressure may well prevail to stop flying at the present location all together.

I hope that Chris can negotiate with his family to set up an east/west runway on the many acres of land owned by his family at a nearby location, I'm sure this would meet with no opposition at all, and provide a longer runway.

stiknruda
3rd Oct 2005, 07:53
I popped up yesterday to see Chris and take tea and tiffin with Whirlygig.

The aeroplane looked so sad - I understand that it will more than lkely be written off as the damage is so extensive. It has been years since I flew a twin regularly but I used to operate a similar aircraft into short bush strips. I personally would not have attempted to take that aeroplane into that strip - firstly I believe it to be too short, secondly the grass was really wet and braking even in the Pitts was pretty underwhelming and thirdly just a stone's throw away is a longer strip (Weybourne) which would have been a far more appropriate place to land!

The incident generated quite a lot of adverse publicity in the local paper (almost half a tabloid page).

Chris is a very generous host and a good neighbour, he urged me to do some aeros on departure but I was under strict instruction not to cross to the west of the field as a young mare had just foaled a couple of klicks to the north west.

Loop, avalanche, 1/2 Cuban, inverted 90 turn into a 4 point roll and away.....

The usual great service from Norwich, too!

Stik