PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use in your rotax 503.

magpienja
30th Sep 2005, 19:37
Hi all just wondering what other rotax 503 user use in the way of 2 stroke oil, my hand book recommends castrol tts but its not easy to get, I have been using silkolene fully synthetic comp 2 plus sx for competition off road bikes, it seems to have all the correct letters after the name but I am never sure if this oil is good enough how about you.

Nick.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Sep 2005, 20:11
Shell Advance VSX 2-stroke, have been for about 5 years with pretty good results.

I used to use Silkolene, but the intervals between decokes were about half what I get with Shell. In addition, the shell oil is a bit cheaper, and easy to buy at filling stations if I've run out - it's about £6/litre on the forecourt, or £5/litre if you buy it in bulk.

G

Barshifter
1st Oct 2005, 12:33
magpienja

Ive been using Silkolene Comp 2 Pre Mix in my last two aircraft.One being 462 the other 503 Rotax and have never had any problems with either engine.

Cheers

Barshifter

bar shaker
1st Oct 2005, 16:04
I used Motul 600 in my 462 and had it decoked before selling it. It was as clean as whistle.

Motul is Ester based meaning its made of the statically charged particles the Castrol Magnatec has a few of. Motul is over 40% of this stuff, Magnatec is around 4%.

I've also used Comp 2 and both of these have excellent dies to help show how much fuel is remaining.

In the biking world there are only two brands used by enthusiasts... Motul and Silkolene.

ShyTorque
1st Oct 2005, 18:27
What does the manufacturer recommend?

Modern clean burning 2 stroke oils are great but some of them apparently aren't suitable for ALL engines.

I have two different classic 2 stroke powered bikes (air cooled engines); neither of the manufacturers recommend modern oils as they tend to burn off the small end bearings too readily.

Advantage for me is that I get to smell lovely castor oil fumes!

Barshifter
1st Oct 2005, 19:29
ShyTorque

If you are into the smells I can recommend Castrol R Oil.My old man used to race an old BSA 440 Victor and thats what he used .The smell was just something else.

Unfortunately Im not sure if its available for 2 strokes.

Cheers

Barshifter

magpienja
1st Oct 2005, 21:04
Shy torque rotax recommend castrol tts not easy to get, from what I know of it its a fully synthetic oil like the silkolene I have started to use.

Nick.

ShyTorque
1st Oct 2005, 23:06
Barshifter, I agree, Castrol R is a great smell! I also remember it very well from the late 1960s when I first learned to ride a bike, which was a methanol fuelled BSA grass-track racing bike.

I recently used up the last of my main castor oil stock as an additive in my trials car's fuel tank - just for the smell, for old times sake. Many people commented on it, including one younger chap who told me there was something very wrong with my car - because it smelled funny!!

Silkolene certainly used to make a castor based 2T oil but I'm not sure if it is still available. I was given some when I bought my 1970's AJS enduro bike. I'll seek out my spares box for the label; although I think it's probably called something else since Fuchs took over the company.

P.S. Silkolene was previously owned by the Dalton family, as in Timothy Dalton, the actor (James Bond etc). My grandmother was their company secretary for many years and so in the 70s I occasionally scrounged a few "freebies" to try out on my old Beesas. Sad to see the Derbyshire factory has recently been bulldozed flat for a housing development.