PDA

View Full Version : Flying lessons in the North West

Travelsmith
30th Sep 2005, 16:52
Hi there, just joined in the fun here. have had one lesson, loved it, and raring to go !
appreciate some advice from anyone who knows the airports and flying schools of the north west - do i learn at Hawarden or Liverpool?
cheers

maggioneato
30th Sep 2005, 17:39
Hi Travelsmith. Both are good. Hawarden is closed Bank holidays and a week at Christmas. Shorter hours at the weekend. Close at 4pm.
Liverpool is open 24/7,but that doesn't mean the Flying Schools are. Have fun wherever you end up.
Feel free to PM if you need more info.

Ian_Wannabe
30th Sep 2005, 17:44
Hey there - no experience of Liverpool but I flew from Hawarden for quite a while under PPL instruction.

The instructors were brilliant, couldnt fault them at all. My only personal winge with Chester flying school is that the atmosphere at the club was none existant, there would be days when I arrived to go flying and there was not a soul to be seen.

Also, when I wanted to discuss money issues with the owner... he was never there.

But, this was over 2 years ago and so things may have changed.

The airfield is great, HUGE runway and top class ATC.

So all in all, Hawarden is good - top instructors (providing the ones who took me are still there!) and airspace around you that will get you talking = which is what you need.

Feel free to PM

btw - DON'T give the owner your money up front, even if he says you'll get reduced rates ... I made that mistake and suffered a £500 loss.. shame he ownes it really, otherwise its great!

Ian

5 Day Rule
1st Oct 2005, 09:26
I did my training at Blackpool and had a ball. Big club atmosphere, great people, 3 runways, ATC....

Barton also seems to have a thriving GA community.

Hawarden makes me think of bad weather and howling cross winds. I spent a year trying to do my first solo land away down there. But I'm not bitter....

Travelsmith
3rd Oct 2005, 09:20
brilliant, thanks for all the info guys. I am going to try and get a few more lessons in before the winter really starts...! and I think Liverpool may be the choice.
cheers