PDA

View Full Version : Interesting flying around Orlando

18greens
29th Sep 2005, 19:10
I am going to Orlando, I don't want to do any solo flying but I fancy a bit of interesting flying (with an instructor)

My choices appear to be a Helicopter trial lesson, the harvards at kissimme, the P51 at kissimmee, the float planes at jack Brown.

Any other thoughts? Are there any Extra 300's,pitts, citation, kingairs available for an hours flight?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Sep 2005, 19:29
Even in a humble 172 it's good fun to overfly the Shuttle runway at the Cape (calling them for clearnace - you can't land but you can do a not-too-low pass along this ginormous runway). Then a touch and go at Orlando Executive, a look around the theme parks, and back into Kissimee.

At Clearwater, on the gulf coast, I flew a Waco. Great fun!

SSD

DaveW
29th Sep 2005, 20:08
Jack Brown's is highly recommended - great fun, flying and boating all at once. Cubs with wellies on can't be beaten. Mind the alligators, though; but at least they've probably eaten all the water moccasins... :}

Having said that, I'd be prepared to try any of your - or SSD's -other options. :ok:

Confabulous
29th Sep 2005, 20:42
What about a Fouga or L39C?

18greens
29th Sep 2005, 22:53
Confabulous, the Fouga and the L39 are the ticket but tell me where.

SSD, Likewise who has the Waco.

Give me phone numbers!!!!!!

treadigraph
30th Sep 2005, 06:35
18 Greens, I think there's a joy riding Waco at Kissimmee as well - when I was last there in 2000 it was in Tom Reilly's Flying Tigers museum with the wings off: it had been dead sticked into Disneywotsit with a pair of punters in the front (some people will do anything to avoid paying). Should be flying again by now.

There was also a Stinson Junior at Space Coast which i think has moved on, but don't know if they have something else. We did the Shuttle Runway thing in it - by the way can you still do that SSD? Thought it was a vicitim of 9/11. :(

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Sep 2005, 08:15
- by the way can you still do that SSD? Thought it was a vicitim of 9/11.

You may well be correct, Treads. It was 7 years ago that I did it.

The Waco was doing pleasure flights over the beach and hotels at Clearwater, and I tracked it down to its base at Clearwater Airpark. It was being operated by a guy called 'The Red Baron' (no idea now of his real name or his number). He took the stick out of the front and took 2 punters at a time for joy rides. "Can the stick be put back in?" I asked. "Oh yes", said Red.

I had my logbook and licence with me, and we talked taildraggers for a while, and he agreed to let me fly it if he thought I was handling the taxying OK. It was just like a big Citabria, similar to the Stearman - a big pussycat of an aeroplane. Heavy but predicatble.

I flew it out over the coast to do some wing-waggling to the family on the beach, but Red said "no aeros" 'cause we weren't wearing 'chutes. Steep turns and wingovers were the limit.

But it was an unusual one for the logbook. Doubt very much if it's still there, but a bit of Googling might find details if it is.

SSD

Barry Coomer
1st Oct 2005, 14:22
The P51's at Kissimmee no longer available, or weren't when I was there in July.
Something about a fatal crash ?