PDA

View Full Version : Truth Stick - Your greatest mistake ......

er340790
29th Sep 2005, 17:28
Some years back a group of mixed FAA and JAR PPL students at Britannia Flight School (RIP) in Florida had a 'fess it up' session late one evening after a suitable number of beers...

My own confession was that on an XC NavEx I missed Zephyr Hills airfield (only 30 miles away) by a full 7 miles .......

A second student then confessed that he had managed to get lost in the Winterhaven circuit ....

The best was the guy who, flying into a controlled airfield for the first time, had a total loss of logical thought and came out with the classic "Hello Lakeland Tower ...... I am a Cessna .....!"

Over to you .....

Whirlybird
29th Sep 2005, 18:12
On a flight to Sheffield, in marginal vis, we not only couldn't find the airport....we couldn't find the city of Sheffield! :eek: :confused:

hingey
29th Sep 2005, 18:44
Most recently, flying Sandown to Exeter whilst speaking to Bournemouth, asked to give position report...

"G-**** is approximatley 15 miles west of Weymouth."

20 mins later...

"G-**** is now 15 miles west of Weymouth."

Felt a bit silly :O

h

muffin
29th Sep 2005, 18:48
Flying from Shoreham to the Isle of Wight and back with the fuel drain open. Didn't half put the consumption up.

SKYYACHT
29th Sep 2005, 21:26
Newly qualified - first x-country in the UK. Home airfield was Popham. Flew to Sandown. Landed, and had £100 cup of coffee. Flew Back. North of Goodwood called Popham Radio. Was advised of circuit and traffic/QFE.

Circuit height at Popham is 800 feet aal,

Yours truly approached, and as I overflew, I thought.... By Gosh! those aeroplanes parked up look so BIG. ..... and so did the Clubhouse!

EEK!

Yes, folks, I was still on QNH, and instead of overflying at the correct height, I think I went over the field at about 300 feet...

A sphnicter clenching moment as I applied full power, and climbed up to the downwind leg.

I was amazed that no one had even witnessed my transgression.

I am also happy to report that I never repeated this error.

:\

Go Smoke
30th Sep 2005, 09:51
A few weeks ago - long weekend flying in hot conditions.
Airmanship deteriorated - missed one thing out on downwind checks!

Ever get that sinking feeling?

Landed wheels up on tarmac.

Flew the approach with undercarriage alarm going off in my headphones!
Had blanked it out as had been doing aeros for the last hour with the throttle mostly closed - alarm also linked to throttle - and the warning had been going off continually.

Appallingly bad airmanship.
Am only just starting to be able to laugh about it - felt very bad for a while there.
Thankfully have a very understanding syndicate - bless them.

Now have a smashed propeller to mount on my wall as a salutory reminder of an expensive lesson learnt.

Maude Charlee
30th Sep 2005, 11:06
Lots and lots. Always feel very silly at the time, but the useful thing about mistakes where you live to tell the tale, is that you generally don't do it again and have a slight edge in terms of useful experience over those who claim never to have messed up. In my view, they are the single best learning opportunity you will get (just don't do it on purpose).

Genghis the Engineer
30th Sep 2005, 11:36
My biggest.

At the end of a long (2ish hour) cross-country flight to an airfield, there were large obstructions in front of the (shortish) runway that weren't in Pooleys, and hadn't been briefed on the phone.

Instead of diverting to another field 20 minutes flying time away (which I should have done) I elected to try and land. I ended up landing quite long, and overrunning the runway causing considerable damage.

Wasn't pleasant, have been a much more caution man in my field planning ever since.

G

Flyboy-F33
30th Sep 2005, 14:04
Being 'slightly too high' and 'slightly too fast' on my first solo approach into Courchevel......only just got away with it.:}

GG

veetwo
30th Sep 2005, 14:37
First ever lesson I was asked to go out and check over the aeroplane (which we'd previously been tought to do in a groundschool session). Instructor came out and strapped in....all ready to go. Engine on, tried to taxi off. Power increasing.. still increasing.. but we aint moving. "Did you leave the chocks in?" says he. "I dont think so no" I reply. Bit more power and "bump" over the chocks we go.

During my training I was also guilty of forgetting to set QFE when descending to circuit height, but thankfully the instructor was there to point it out before we got too low.

On my first ever navex was trying to get us from Dewsbury to Finningley and ended up over Sheffield!

Finally, On my solo QXC I was rather high on finals at Humberside and got rather fast as a result, landing a fair way down the runway. Thankfully when landing on runway 03 at Humberside you have to taxi right to the end to vacate so it slipped by un noticed!

V2

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Sep 2005, 14:51
There are two that were so embarrasing I'm not going to relate them here, though neither resulted in any damage. But both still serve as a constant dig in the ribs every time I fly to be aware of the possibility of the mega cock-up.

Another, which I will relate, was many years ago in an L4 Cub. Returning home from east of the pennines I was flying from the P1 (rear) seat with a very experienced instructor friend of mine (not from our field) along for the ride in the front seat. We decided to do a touch and go at a disused military airfield to 'get it in the logbook' before it was built on, which it was shortly afterwards.

I was setup on final when the instructor asked if he could do the landing (he'd been doing a fair bit of the flying anyway). So I agreed. Big mistake - he had loads of hours and shortly afterwards joined the airlines - but he had no tailwheel experience. I'd been taildragging ever since I got my PPL, so this lack didn't really occur to me as a potential problem.

He greased us on 3-point and at first all was well. Then she swung left. He stompted on the right rudder - too much and too late. The little Cub veered hard right. The side was open and I saw the right hand wheel leave the ground. I glanced left to see the left wingtip heading downwards towards the speeding tarmac. "Oh sh1te", I thought. This is going to be embarrasing and expensive".

Shouting "I have it" I put on right aileron to lift the left wing, together with left rudder to arrest the swing, full power, and forward stick to get the tail up. How that wingtip failed to make runway contact I'll never know, but it didn't and we were tail-up, wings level, and accelerating. But 45 degrees off the runway heading to the right. We left the tarmac, bounced across the rough gravel then the grass, and I managed to haul her into the air. Passing about 30 feet in the climb I turned left onto runway heading.

There, on a paralell taxiway, was a glider being towed by a car, which had stopped. Its driver, and the guy holding the glider's wingtip, were staring open mouthed at this rude and nearly disasterous intrusion by the little Cub.

Moral? No matter how many more hours or higher ratings than your own a pilot may have, never let them them fly your aeroplane near the ground unless they have the skills so to do - even if it's something as simple as an L4 Cub.

SSD

PPRuNe Dispatcher
30th Sep 2005, 16:46
In the circuit at White Waltham in a PA28, and the brain-fade fairy paid me a visit. Instead of turning the carb heat on, I pulled the mixture...

:*

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2005, 19:18
A day with crappy vis, about 5000m at most, flying from Blackpool to Carslisle in a C152 with minimal navigation instruments. The cloud base was scattered or broken, around 3000' - should have been plenty high enough for the flight, but as I started approaching some high ground I got a little nervous about the lack of vis. No problem - climbed above the cloud, tracked to Dean Cross VOR (cross-checking position by peering through gaps in the clouds at regular intervals) and then descended into Carlisle for lunch.

After lunch, decided to head back the same way. Climbed above the clouds and picked up a radial from the VOR which took me out over Morcambe Bay. The clouds had started to get thicker, though, and the gaps smaller, and it wasn't too long before I lost sight of the surface.

I started taking cross-cuts from Poll Hill VOR to confirm my position, planning on descending below the clouds once clear of the Lake District and over the sea. Then I spotted a huge TCU ahead of me, right on my track. I turned left to divert around it, and figured out which radial from Dean Cross this now put me on to re-establish my position. Checked the chart, and realised that this radial would take me right through the Cark parachute zone. Turned left even further and picked up a slightly more easterly radial to keep clear of Cark.

Once that problem was dealt with, I carried on taking cross-cuts from Poll Hill. Only my radial from Poll Hill didn't seem to be changing. After a few miles I started to get concerned, and looked at my chart for the reason. Then I found it - the radial I was now tracking from Dean Cross actually took me straight to Poll Hill - so I couldn't use Poll Hill for cross-cuts.

Now I was uncertain of my position, except that I was somewhere on a line between Dean Cross and Poll Hill, with controlled airspace somewhere ahead of me down to 3500', and an MSA quite a bit higher than that. I contacted Blackpool Radar, but I was too far north for them to get a radar fix on me.

Then I saw, through a gap in the clouds, some water. Great - problem solved! If there's water down there, I must be over the sea. I began a descent to visual conditions, planning on stopping the descent at 2000' if not visual, but expecting the cloudbase to be much higher than that.

Fortunately - very fortunately - the cloud base was quite a bit higher. Because the water I'd seen wasn't the sea, it was Lake Windemere, and the ground around me came quite a bit higher than the altitude I'd planned on stopping my descent at. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lessons learnt - nothing wrong with IMC flight, so long as it is planned as an IMC trip, and in a suitably equipped aircraft. I am much more wary about setting out VFR and deciding part way through the trip to turn it into IFR now - I decide beforehand which it's going to be, and stick with it.

Also, ask for help if you've messed up. When Blackpool said they couldn't see me on radar, I should have told them that I was uncertain of my position. There were lots of options, probably the easiest being to get QDMs until I could be seen on radar, then an SRA to land. Instead, I tried to carry on by myself, and nearly paid the price.

FFF
------------

Russell Gulch
30th Sep 2005, 20:24
Guernsey, a Sunday in the 1980's, after a lovely sunny weekend with friends on the island, and a few hundred hours in the bag, so to speak. Knew everything, didn't I?

Poor weather around, so my passenger and I awaited an SVFR departure to get back to base on the UK mainland. The moment it became 3k viz, SVFR departures were legal, so off we strolled to start up.

Climb-out was great...until turning north for home, we coasted out to no visual reference over the goldfish bowl of the Channel, in poor viz, I had a distinct lack of horizon to maintain straight & level. Turn back or proceed?

A radio call from another aircraft ahead reported good horizon at 2500', so I carried on, aiming for "the bright bit" (the sky), hunting that elusive real horizon. After 3000', I got a little concerned, so looked aft for a return...only to see blackness underneath the clag.

Within a few minutes, I was left with my only horizon option, which was to proceed keeping the bright stuff upwards. Eventually we broke out of the haze at about 6000', onto the most beautiful flat-top imaginable; what a lovely horizon above the haze layer! My new gps told me exactly where I was, which was inside an airway on the UK southern coast, a few hundred feet above a haze layer I knew I didn't want to descend into again.

The previous month, I had visited West Drayton on a D&D visit, so I had no hesitation in calling them. No transponder, no artificial horizon, no turn & slip, I was in it deep (but at least safe for the moment). I told them I would proceed further north for 30 minutes, in the hope of finding a hole, and if I didn't, I would return south to the Channel Islands or France.

The hole did not appear, and in the interim, those nice folks at West Drayton had been getting an idea of the cloud cover over English airfields I could safely reach. Not much hope there, but they did report that some French airfields were showing blue skies.

I must add that D&D were brilliant. All conversations took place in plain English, and never did they baulk from their task to get me safely down. Everything took such a pleasant, genial tone that I decided I'd better tell them my endurance and souls on board; they did not prompt me.

On the southbound leg, I met the encroaching dark monster of increasing cloud, and decided that I had to descend.

A few minutes of terrifying descent into the haze layer and goldfish bowl, in which I was using shades of grey as my only horizon reference. The calm seas of the Channel offered little "ground" reference (not even a breaking wave, it was calm), but I eventually ended up at a few hundred feet above the still waters, with again a level horizon to work from. I again turned north.

During the last half-hour of flying thus, D&D could not hear me (although I could hear them). Several private flights and a Speedbird relayed messages until I approached the coast.

And surprise! I could see the coast from eight miles away! But of course, with nothing to "see" previously (not even a white-cap), I had no clue of the true viz in all the haze. I landed at Bournemouth over two hours from departing Guernsey, but D&D would not release me to Bournemouth's frequency until I was final for Bournemouth's runway.

I contacted D&D some time after this incident, to ask them how they would have helped me further. They told me that they actually had a helicopter airborne, and that it would have reached me about the same time as I landed at Bournemouth.

Had I still been in trouble, the helicopter, I was told, would have formated in visual contact behind me for a descent through cloud at a suitable descent speed, telling me when to lift a wing to maintain level.

What lessons did I learn?

1. I haven't learned it all, and never will.
2. I don't suffer from "get-there-itis" any more.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for help sooner rather than later.
4. Keep the tanks full.
5. Don't go flying around in dire weather without instruments.

Hope this helps someone else.

Russ.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Sep 2005, 20:46
Thanks Russ. That one was really useful (I'd no idea D&D could get you down through cloud using a helo), and well done for keeping your head in what must have been terrifying circumstances. How come no AH?

SSD

aerobatic_dude
30th Sep 2005, 20:49
In my very limited experience in aviation so far the worst mistake I have made is dropping the poor airplane on from about 4 feet. It was my first session of night circuits and my mind was miles away. To my amazament everything was still in tact after we landed, spats fine and the crepe marks were still aligned.

Needless to say I haven't had a repeat of this - yet anyway !

Send Clowns
30th Sep 2005, 21:23
And to correct a misconception before others follow Mr Gulch: for those with no IMC rating or IR the mimimum visibility for SVFR is 10km, not 3km.

My worst - trusting an experieced PPL holder only 3 months out of currency with the landing, just because she had been good up to then. Caught it just in toime for a firm landing rather than heavy, but learnt a good lesson! Unfortunately in view of a certain CAA examiner, who had a word :(

Russell Gulch
30th Sep 2005, 23:01
SSDkeeping your head I'm not sure I did. In retrospect, I should have awaited airborne help. How come no AH? A little old aeroplane. And:D&D could get you down through cloud using a helo I guess it would have been SAR, or Coastguard, or RAF. Cornwall was the source, I was told.

Send Clownsmimimum visibility for SVFR is 10km, not 3km I bow to your better knowledge and I don't do similar departures any more, so have only 20-year memory to recall!. I was sure this was the limit quoted by Guernsey, and I am sure they wouldn't have let me flight plan out less than the legal bit.

Russ

dublinpilot
1st Oct 2005, 00:36
Min vis for special VFR is 3km. However a CAA issued JAR PPLs place a restriction on the pilot not to operate under 10km.

It's the pilot that is restricted to 10km, not SVFR.

So a pilot with a non CAA issued licence could accept 3km SVFR.

Having said that, they would be very silly to do so, unless they were capable of going IFR if needed, as Russell's story demonstrates.

Thanks for sharing it Russell.

dp

englishal
1st Oct 2005, 05:30
I almost ran out of fuel. It was so low the engine started spluttering on the ILS :oh:

Nice trip to Kemble for lunch followed by a flight down to Cornwall. Decided we didn't need to refuel. The weather closed in and we were scud running at 900' over Dartmoor. There were anntena's on the chart sort of ahead up to 2000' and I was starting to get worried. No problem, hang a left, through a valley and popped out West of Plymouth. Trying to navigate back home along the coast sub 1000' level, then decided it was all becoming a bit dangerous, so climbed and became IFR. That was fine, headed back and requested an ILS approach. On the ILS another aircraft had a problem, so we were vectored off and send cruising around over the Isle of Wight by some panicy controller. 30 mins later we were back on the approach, established, and the engine stated to miss badly. Swichted fuel tanks, it recovered and we landed safe and sound.

PA28-232 was filled to tabs before takeoff. We flew for over 4½ hours before getting back! Even the fuel guy commented on the lack of visible fuel in the tanks....:O

Moral of that story, ALWAYS FILL UP WITH FUEL AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY! Thats what I do now!!

shortstripper
1st Oct 2005, 07:10
Qualifying cross country .... gulp! should I admit this? :\

Was given a right hand circuit to land at Plymouth but positioned for a left hand circuit! I realised my mistake, called up and the controller took it in good heart (Thank God it was a quiet day!) ... By the time I reached the tower for a signiture I was a quivering wreck expecting a dressing down :ugh: Luckily for me (after a short "sweat" period) the nice fella signed my form.

SS

Andy_R
1st Oct 2005, 09:03
It had been a pleasant day. My first trip across the channel with my family, who had been looking forward to it immensely and who were amazed how easy it was to do so. It had taken us 55 minutes on the way out with the help of a healthy tailwind component and I found I had grown more comfortable with understanding the French accent on the radio, even more or less comprehending the ATIS!!

As we lined up in the hired Warrior I took note of the crosswind – all within limits, opened the throttle and before we knew it we were airborne.

The cloud base was reported as broken at 2800’ and this appeared to be correct. I knew we were flying toward a warm front and was a little uneasy about exactly what to expect but took the decision to climb through the broken clouds to 4500’. I could see the French Coast off to my right and the kids were counting the boats underneath us. I tuned into the LYD VOR and set course for the English coast, swapping to London Info as the French controller said au revoir as soon as we were out of his ATZ.

It was almost immediately that I noticed the strength of the wind aloft. Every time I got the needle centred the wind was weather-cocking the plane off to the right. I switched on the GPS as a back up to make sure I was tracking the shortest route over the water. I never have been keen on flying over the Channel (hence my decision to go VFR above the clouds to gain as much height advantage as possible!) and I didn’t intend to be above water any longer than I had to be. I see the point of many who insist on flying twins over water.

I was being kept busy in the cockpit. The horizon that had existed was becoming rather indistinct, the cloud tops moulding with the general greyness that prevailed. Looking down there were still large gaps in the cloud layer that lay 1500’ below and the sea was readily visible. Still OK then. Glancing back the view was depressingly grey. I’ll be glad to be back over the land I thought to myself.

Crossing the FIR boundary, London upgraded us to a FIS. Oh bother, the heading has drifted off again. Back on track. Aargh my height has drifted off, back down 100’. Estimate to Lydd…. Standby London… 15 minutes to run with this wind I reckon… that heading has drifted 30 degrees off again.

I suddenly realised that I had been spending far too long with my head in the cockpit, relying on my front seat passenger to do the lookout, something she is good at, but ultimately not her responsibility. At the same time a little voice piped up in the back querying why they couldn’t see the sea or the boats anymore. The unease crept back in.

A glance at the GPS told me we were halfway across that cold dark water. Decision time. I looked around and was greeted by greyness. Total, eclipsing, numbing greyness.

I concentrated on keeping the plane straight and level whilst my mind raced through the options. The front was heading toward France, I knew that. If I did a 180 would I be able to get down through the cloud legally or had those gaps gone?
The greyness outside the cockpit intensified as if it were pushing me for a decision.
For a moment I felt lost.
The statistics on PPL’s flying into IMC and their survival time ate away at my mind.
Whatever decision I made I had the feeling that it would involve a descent through cloud. I thought about climbing and trying to get above to get into VMC again but knew this was just as dangerous and the cloud tops could be a long way above by now.

Also eating away at me was the fact I had my family with me. The decision I made would affect them all.

With the recording I had listened to of a pilot who had lost control in IMC fresh in my mind, I decided that as I was managing to keep straight and level in IMC and I knew we were still over the sea I would attempt a very slow, very steady descent down through this greyness until we broke into VMC.

I let London Info know (oh how I wish I had used a radar service now!!) that I was descending initially to 3500’. From the tone in his voice I think he knew I was in trouble. I gingerly edged the power back a little and started a slow descent. My passenger nudged me. I was 40 degrees off track again. A gentle turn which seemed to take an age and everything in my body at a heightened state of alertness.

Then it happened.

The leans.

I was convinced we were in a turn that was denied by the instruments. I spent the rest of the journey downwards just repeating to myself, ignore the brain just look at the instruments. I can assure those who have never experienced this that ignoring what your brain is telling you takes one hell of a lot of effort and willpower. You end up playing mind games with your own brain !!!

We arrived at 3500’ and were still surrounded by that pervading greyness and informed London that the journey downwards was continuing. A calm reassuring voice just prompted me to let him know every 500’ or so. He warned me of multiple traffic below at between 1000’ and 1700’ all heading for Lydd but I think he knew I’d take my chances on not landing on one of them.

My heading was all over the place but I admit I was more concerned with staying in control and to cut a long story short we broke cloud base at 920’. I know it was that because my passengers were as happy to see the ocean as I was to hear we were VMC again. As I informed London I spied Lydd a couple of miles to my left, thanked London Info with as much warmth as I could muster and switched to Lydd.

Several things amazed me about this experience. The first thing is we’re alive!! Against the odds, not proud of myself for getting us into the situation, but glad it turned out OK.

The thoughts may have been running through my head but inside I remained incredibly calm and collected. Guess I had so much to think about that I didn’t have time to be scared. It was much later in the evening when a chill passed over me with the realisation of what could have been. No need to expand on that thought really, but they are very chilling thoughts.

Should I have handled things differently? Once up there I’m not sure a 180 would have bought a dissimilar result. And I would have had to cope with a strange accent on the radio. No big deal apart from when you are already at full capacity.

Quite possibly (an understatement) I should have elected to stay beneath the cloud base and applied another well known phrase – the engine doesn’t know it’s over water. Many other aircraft manage to get across at around the 1000’ level. My nervousness of flying over water may be a little better now. Better than clowning around in solid IMC anyway.

I learned a lot about flying that day. And how the weather can catch you out so quickly.

eyeinthesky
1st Oct 2005, 16:12
A long time ago:

Flying to Holland from Bournemouth to spend the weekend with my girlfriend (and introduce my parents to her). It was February.

We were due to leave BOH at 1530 but the parents were delayed by the roadworks for the Twyford cutting on the M3 (yes, that long ago). They eventually arrived at 1630 and we jumped aboard. Three up in an AA5 meant limited fuel, and there was a reasonable NE wind blowing. Despite meticulous flight planning and filing a route IFR outside CAS along the south coast as far as the FIR boundary and VFR beyond (IMC holder only), the clearance from BOH Tower was a surprise:

"G-XXXX is cleared to Rotterdam, via MAY and R8, climb FL 50 Squawk xxxx".
"Err... unable to accept the clearance, request IFR clearance to leave CAS".

After 15 mins at the holding point, we were cleared to depart IFR at 3000ft, with cloud base about 1500ft. Vectoring by Solent put us 15nm NW of SAM with a 'Resume own navigation GWC'. All the LARS units were closed (past 1700 on a Friday), and we were solid IMC. Unable to climb out of IMC due ice buildup above 3500ft and with reports of the base at 800 ft AGL, along we plodded. As forecast, we came out of cloud abeam DVR, but by now the headwind had started to take effect. We were well behind schedule (45 mins or so), and unable to make Rotterdam before the end of daylight. VFR only abroad.... What to do?

Get-there-itis took over. Brussels Info offered an IFR clearance at FL50 direct HSD. They did not ask if I was qualified, and there was some concern about no Mode C, but it seemed to have failed.. (!).. On we pressed. We eventually landed at Rotterdam 30 mins after sunset, and the parents were very impressed that the runway lights had been turned on for us... (They of course had no idea of the situation in which we had been).

Inspection of the fuel tanks with a torch revealed very little sloshing about. Maybe 30 mins at most. The planned leg of 2 hours had taken more like 3 including holding times.

The return flight on the Sunday was perfect: FL50 in VMC and later above a cloud deck past MAY with a clearance from Gatwick Approach, and a 25 knot tailwind to boot! Home in 1h30.

What did I learn?

- Even the best plans can be ruined by the vagaries of events. We were JUST about OK to go at the new time and make Rotterdam before end of daylight, but the delay at the holding point, the headwind and the vectoring in the wrong direction made the difference on that plan.

- Don't push on unnecessarily. Ostend would have been fine, with a car or an early morning flight the next day.

- Don't feel pressurised to make arrangements which other people will rely on, making your decision-making choices dodgy.

Still, we survived, but I wouldn't try it again like that.

Confabulous
1st Oct 2005, 18:00
Greatest mistake so far, with me being a student pilot, was flying in an aircraft with the instructor (who was flying) saying 'what's that funny noise?'

Turned out to be the stall warning horn :uhoh:

And after he'd demonstrated aileron rolls, I enquired as to how long he'd been doing aerobatics.

'That was my first time,' he replied, grinning.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :{ :{

Keep it up guys, you're helping everyone make fewer mistakes, and maybe increasing their lifespan!

Oh yes, and as dublinpilot can attest, I waggled the wings rather violently at above Va :ugh:

Hireandhire
1st Oct 2005, 18:20
I will confess to having recently been guilty of pushing on with oil contents lower than desirable. The initial bad pre-flight decision ("half a dipstick will be OK for the last leg") lead to a worse one when I did notice the oil pressure very slowly reducing from it's normal "very top of the green arc" position. Something was definitely up, and I reviewed my options, which included a couple of short easy diversions and some big farm fields. The oil temp was rock steady so I made the decision to continue towards my destination for the remaining 25 mins of the leg.

I was right, the rate of decline meant the pressure stayed above the middle of the green arc until I had landed:

BUT

Lesson 1 - This was poor airmanship at at least a couple of the decision points
Lesson 2 - The oil level was off the bottom of the dipstick
Lesson 3 - I later learned that cavitation of the pump (apparently the pressure gauge will swing wildly) could have set in at any moment with catastrophic results for the engine.

Needless to say the world has a Very Chastened Pilot. In our own case at least, "staying in the green" on the gauges is not enough to keep you safe.

Will never do it again.........
regards
HnH

stue
1st Oct 2005, 19:10
Just want to say that it a grate topic guys/girls.
Im a new ppl with only about 70hours. Listening to others stories about bad weather, low fuel, etc. makes you think twice when getting in to a plane.
Iv learned a lot here, many thanks.
Stue

markflyer6580
1st Oct 2005, 21:27
only got a couple of decent ones so far(60 hours) But best comedy value was going up with my instuctor having done the wise thing and chickened out of a 18kt x-wind at gamston on my QXC. I thought a a week or so later some x-wind practise in about 12kt at humberside was in order,my instructor is quite relaxed when he flies with me so he was happily looking out of the window in the circuit when i reached for the carb heat in our cherokee 140(used to flying a warrior with a throttle quadrant)and pulled the mixture.Big drop i thought and left it out for the ice to melt? it wasn't until i saw the prop slowing at the same time as the instuctor swore at me that i realised my mistake!!!!
The look on his usually calm face was a picture

Leezyjet
1st Oct 2005, 23:05
As a newly qualified PPL with just over 50hrs, fortunately no major mishaps for me so far.

Probably my silliest one's to date have been taking off with the mixture still leaned for taxi whilst on solo circuits after rushing the power checks to beat another solo ppl student into the air from a rival club who I had been stuck behind for ages previously as he took forever to do his checks.

Also practicing PFL's at an unmanned airfield in SA and not paying enough attention after landing on the touch and go and looking down for the flap lever rather than where I was going and looking back up to see the long grass off the left side of the runway rapidly approaching me as I was skidding sideways across the surface. Fortunately, full power was already applied, and banged in some right rudder and had enough airspeed to get back in the air again before I ended up in the grass.

Love reading these things as a newbie, can pick up lots of tips and info from other peoples mishaps that may just one day save my life.

:ok:

BEXIL160
2nd Oct 2005, 16:05
Qualifying X-country. South of England, unstable NW airflow.. good viz, cloud etc but VERY windy. Type PA28

Due to fly to a large regional airport on top of a hill. Wind forecast and latest actual outside demonstrated cross wind limit. QFI says "no prob, it'll drop by the time you get there and anyway you're a pretty good pilot aren't you? ".

Still dubious, but hey, I'm a keen student and God (QFI) seems to have faith in me. Get airborne anyway. It takes A LONG TIME to get to Hill Top airfield due to the wind. Lots of time to listen to the ATIS (again and again). Wind is not better, still outside a/c limits but vision of QFI appears in head ("It's only a DEMONSTRATED limit, you can take it to more than that, EASY")...

Finally get near airfield and fight to crab the aeroplane down to near the runway.(still my technique BTW, not the fighting, the crabbing you understand) Nice view of runway out the side window, but not so nice view of the terminal and apron out the front (or so it seemed). Cold feeling as sweat / fear builds.

Get REALLY close to runway now and hands and feet all over the place. Not a happy bunny at all. ARRIVE ON RUNWAY VERY SUDDENLY, still not exactly pointing the right way. More hands and feet action, aileron hard down into wind. Tyres protest (a lot) bum slides around on seat as we fishtail along. Aeroplane slows down rapidly (actual ground speed was slow, but in the wrong direction). Feel Vvery cold and can feel and hear heartbeat......

Taxy in very carefully and park into wind. Sit very quietly after engine stops..........

Learned many lessons that day a long time ago...

Rgds BEX

ChampChump
2nd Oct 2005, 22:18
I'm much too embarrassed to admit anything recent and I fear I've not yet made my greatest mistake, but here's an early example of Dumb.

In the States, I was sent off in the 150 to fetch some avionics for my friend/mentor/boss from the repair shop at a Controlled Airport not too far away. Given that my daily bimbling in the aeroplane was deliberately planned to avoid anywhere with a tower, this was somewhat unique. It's also probably fair to state that despite its status the airport had less movements a day than the average farm strip.

Approaching from the south, I called up in good order, already prepared for the runway in use, and was told to report right base for 09.

It seems incredible now, but this logical, helpful joining procedure was lost on me. I spent the next couple of minutes double checking the circuit and trying to position for downwind - which resulted in a small aeroplane flying wide upwind on the downwind leg. It was going to do a sort of 180, fly serenely downwind and then report left base as instructed. I'd been trained to fly circuits and circuits is what I did...but did I really think I could sneak upwind unnoticed?

Needless to say my mic fright had precluded anything as sensible as utterances of any sort.

Just as embarrassing is the thought that I was as much concerned about the tower thinking I was more stupid than I was - apparently flying towards the reciprocal runway to name but one apparent sin - than all real issues involved.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

I do find it funny now though.

kookabat
3rd Oct 2005, 01:56
I've had a few... :O

Like the time, pre PPL, in a 152 following a PFL I retracted flap on the go-around (at 500') ALL AT ONCE!!!:uhoh: They sink a fair bit...

Or the time remarkably like BEXIL160's experience - first solo nav in a Cherokee, heavy crosswind, probably over the limit (though it was an uncontrolled field thus no ATIS so I wasn't sure) - except I was landing on grass. Felt like a very 'sideways' landing... :ugh: Not pretty at all...

But the best one has got to be my second-ever solo - C152 again - after having done a glide approach with the instructor, he jumped out and I lined up for take-off - opened throttle - started accelerating - controls being forced out at me for some reason... AHA! TRIM STILL FULLY BACK!!! - going too fast to try and fix it, abort the takeoff - go for the throttle and, yep, you guessed it, got the mixture instead. :oh: MAnaged to roll off the runway and stop in front of my surprised instructor, explained what happened, re-started it and back out I went. A very eventful day that one - I had gone first solo only that morning...

Sans Anoraque
3rd Oct 2005, 13:18
This one happened to someone on the same PPL course as me and made me laugh as only pride (and some metal) was hurt

Following a very long day of flying and with his brain fried, he drove off in his car and decided to take a short cut home. Down a dirt tract, he came across an unexpected gate barring the road. Intead of slamming the brakes on, he pulled back on the steering wheel and tried to 'fly' over it.

Penguina
3rd Oct 2005, 13:31
Hee hee! :D I learned to fly before learning to drive and tried to pull away on a hill by pulling on the steering wheel during one lesson! My driving instructor didn't think much of my excuse...

(Is it in Stick & Rudder where it says that early motorists used to pull the wheel to try and slow the 'horse' down?!)

Anyway, I've already made loads of potentially dangerous mistakes in my 180 hours. A combination of luck and lack of trust in myself has, I think, preserved me thus far.

Most recent one was a bit different, being a judgment call rather than an error as such - chose to fly on with headset problems rather than return to the airfield, cancel my flight plan, re-file, find alternative headsets and arrive 2 hours after my arrival slot the other end. Chose convenience over airmanship there - am I getting complacent as I appraoch the Killing Zone? :eek:

In any event, the predictable chaos ensued: steep stress curve led to big drop in nav skills and airmanship which, in turn, generated a few secondary problems along the way. One of the least fun flights I've had, I can tell you.

Lesson learned? :uhoh:

tmmorris
3rd Oct 2005, 21:01
Taking off from Old Sarum on the easterly runway (uphill) in a C152 at max weight with the carb heat on...

I did wonder why it was so slow to gather speed...!

Tim

Send Clowns
4th Oct 2005, 10:41
Haven't many, and I now see why I have been lucky. I had nearly 400 hours all told before I bothered to take an aircraft on my own authority, and even then I was in Florida with its reliable weather and long, tarmac runways. Many of the mistakes admited to (and dealt with well in many cases) are showing the value of the oversight by instructors.

My greatest error happened in Florida, as I was hour building for the P1 time I lacked. I admit it was simply because I had become too casual. I had been flying regularly over the previous 2 or 3 weeks, and had just achieved my MEP rating, so was very current. I was getting some night hours in, and had settled down into that environment. Doing some circuits in a rather sorry C-150 I got a little low on approach, over an area with no lights on the ground. Well I was trying to use as little runway as possible anway, for practice, so I didn't correct.

Unfortunately I let it develop, and only realised how low I was when the end lights disappeared behind the trees. Suddenly waking up to the danger I reverted to type, the type I had flown most and also on which I had learnt most. I applied full power and set about a cruise attitude; in a T67 M260 with full flaps this sets a nice climb from which you can clean up and fly round for another go. Even on a Bulldog it sets up a climb. On a C-150 with full flap and carb heat (the T67 is injected) it barely reduces the rate of descent. Fortunately I had enough sense of what was happening, having some night currency, to realise and address the problem, cleaned up to a single stage of flap and took off the carb heat, but I landed off that circuit, and landed well into the 6000-foot of tarmac!

jayemm
4th Oct 2005, 14:29
A few years ago, with 50 hrs and a new GPS III Pilot.

Planned a flight to Andrewsfield for the first time, and keyed the route into the GPS, destination EGSS.

About 12 miles from Andrewsfield I was very taken by its size. It seemed to have a huge runway, a magnificent tower and other impressive buildings. Quite remarkable for what I thought was supposed to be a modest airfield.

Then I saw a 737 take-off.

I'm sure I managed to turn right on the boundary, so avoided the embarrassment of an incursion.

The GPS wasn't at fault: I had keyed in EGSS as the destination, instead of EGSL.

EGSS is Stansted!:ooh:

Fairly obvious "Use of GPS" lessons learnt from that one.

er340790
7th Oct 2005, 17:06
June 2004 flying from Spa (EBSP) into Maastricht (EHBK) at 3,000', suddenly warned by EHBK Tower of 'pop up' (military) aircraft overhead the Maas - was asked to report aircraft in sight. Saw a Belgian F-16 turn over the Maas river (the border) and called 'in sight'. Three seconds later was underflown by about 500' by his unseen wingman who had turned late after his leader.

Never forget:-

'Aircraft' can be plural!

Military aircraft often fly in pairs!

You will probably never see a camouflaged aircraft below you!

Never trust a Belgian!

pulse1
7th Oct 2005, 22:57
tmmorris's experience with a C152 at Old Sarum reminds me of one of my blunders.

I was originally taught to fly in the 60's when the PPL syllabus seemed a lot simpler than it is now. I learnt in a Tiger Moth and cannot remember being taught anything much about weight and balance at the time. Unless you try to fly a Tiger with no-one in the back, or try to smuggle gold bars in the rear locker, it is very difficult to overload it or get out of balance.

Some years later I got checked out to fly a PA28 140 and, again, I cannot remember any question of weight and balance. I assumed that, as it had four seats, it would fly quite happily with four adults and full tanks. And I never had any problems doing so.

That is, until one hot Summer evening, I flew into Old Sarum (it was an RAF airfield in those days). I took off towards the east, four up and fullish tanks. Let's just say that I am very grateful that, apart from the old rifle range, there are very few obstacles near the airfield boundary and that the ground slopes away towards the east. I think I cleared the fence by about 10'.