PDA

View Full Version : Autumn / Winter job prospects

Dude~
29th Sep 2005, 15:08
Just got myself a CPL-IR (UK trained), and looking for somewhere to do an instructor course, but I am a little concerned about the impending winter and its effect on demand for instructors.

I understand there are instructing jobs to be had right now, but I won't get my licence in my hand for another 2 months and by then the days will be cold and short. Is there likely to be any demand for a fresh instructor (restricted) from November onwards? I am happy to relocate anywhere mind you.

Any comments apprecitated.

sps1013
2nd Oct 2005, 11:17
I have just done my FI skills test and have already made some good progress into finding a job instructing within my local area.

There are lots of jobs out there and the winter months do sometimes cast a shadow, but remember the public never want to stop flying or learning and the demand is always there.

I dont think you will have a problem, just ring schools up, forward your CV and then ring them. The situation changes literally day by day so keep plugging.

Good luckl

Dusty_B
5th Oct 2005, 13:34
Finding "employment" is easy.
Getting the students/hours/weather and ultimately money (living expenses) is a different story...

I'm skint as hell, loving every minute of it.

D 129
15th Oct 2005, 12:49
There are instructor jobs around. Start with places where you have trained, are local to, know someone etc. Also try and find the name of the CFI and write to / call him/her. Unsolicited "cold call" CVs are not the best way - only if a vacancy arises that day are they likely to be lucky.

Concerning hours - If the last few years are anything to go by, "the flying season" will last another 3 weeks or so. The weather (down south at least) usually starts giving up early/mid November.

To keep their costs down, many flying schools will understandably only wish to pay you when you fly. This is always the case for part timers. Some full timers benefit from a modest retainer.

Also if you are the new guy, then you probably will not have a group of regular students yet (unless you inherit some from someone who has left). So it'll be trial lessons - usually 30 minutes only. If you are a part timer then expect new business to go to the full timers first - they "have to live off it" (even if you do too !).

If you get a full time post you may find that you get 50-60 hours this month falling to maybe only 20-40 / month in the winter. In mid summer at the right club you may approach your legal maximum. (100 hours in 28 days, unless you have a further medical). All this at anything from £ 8 to (if you're lucky) £ 15 per hour.

Hope this helps !

D129

cadaha
11th Nov 2005, 20:17
KMS

"a) during the period of 28 consecutive days expiring at the end of the day on which
the flight begins exceeds 100 hours. (This means that on the 28th day a flight crew
member may depart on a single sector flight, and may complete that sector, even
though at the end of the flight the total flying hours completed in 28 days will
exceed 100 hours. Consequently, the flight crew member cannot then continue to
operate as a flight crew member on any subsequent sectors during that day)"

Found this in CAP 371 (This section is for Air Taxi/Sole Use Charter, Including Pleasure
Flying and Air Ambulance Supplement)

URL for the full CAP 371 is
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP371.PDF
:ok:

mad_jock
11th Nov 2005, 23:16
I didn't think the FTL's applied to instructors. It all changed with the JAR rules. The CAP371 only applys to AOC public transport flights and AOC holders for arial work.

The only rule you need to obey is the 900hours in a year. Which is defined as a limit in the ANO.

This of course could be complete and utter BS supplied by the CFI to get more money into the school.

But if you have done over 100 hours in 28days and you have an incident expect the book to be thrown at you.