PDA

View Full Version : RVSM Airspace

busflyer
29th Sep 2005, 13:53
If flying in RVSM airspace and out of range of VHF, you suddenly loose a system that is required for RVSM complience, what do you do?
Would I be correct in thinking you have no choice but to leave the RVSM airspace and descend to below FL290?

stiffwing
29th Sep 2005, 14:47
In PAC-RVSM, ATC have the discretion to allow the aircraft to continue, subject to traffic..... this may involve the aircraft and those near it to revert to "traditional" 2000' vertical separation

MrBernoulli
2nd Oct 2005, 07:34
"If flying in RVSM airspace and out of range of VHF" ..... if this is the case shouldn't you be carrying HF as well?

BEagle
2nd Oct 2005, 07:42
Indeed. And were you referring to RVSM or MNPS airspace, busdriver?

I guess if you were forced to fly below RVSM levels rather than at optimum, you might well have insufficient contingency from that point to your planned destination, although you probably would have for an en-route alternative? But keeping an eye on the actual fuel in hand until it creeps up to your legal minimum to make your planned destination will be a pretty busy task for you, notwithstanding all those computers!

If I could, I always preferred to have sufficient fuel to fly the route at the lowest RVSM level if necessary, with standard contingency. But sometimes that wasn't possible without using reduced contingency - and that used to keep our navigators busy on a high ZFW direct Dulles, eh Mr B? How's it going with Nigel - missing all the sand?