PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Sep 2005, 17:16
Yep, usual crappy question - but how will I fair converting from JAA CPL/FI to FAA equivilent ? Should it be a piece of piss ? I have all ASA prepware 2006 tests on CD and the book. Thanks peeps.

George Semel
29th Sep 2005, 18:22
Not much, what you will need is an FAA medical, pass the commercial written, intrument written if you want that, and FOI and Flight Instructor writtens. As for the flight part, well you will have to meet the requirements for the certificates, I can tell you that if you go part 61 then you will need 250 hours in you logbook under 141 its 190 hours for the commercial as a minimum. There are some break downs to it with regard to night and complex airplane, X-C time and Instruments. Compared to what you have done, for JAA, you will find the FAA not that hard, its pretty easy. What you need is some money, and some time.

slim_slag
30th Sep 2005, 09:10
Take a look at this chapter from the inspectors' manual, should cover all you need to know. Chapter 29 (pdf) (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8700/volume2/media/2_029_00.pdf) with lots of interesting stuff on the FAA's opinion on ICAO standards wrt JAA/CAA commercial pilot licences. Is it a piece of piss? Let us know when you have got them :)