PDA

View Full Version : chipmunk checklist

stillin1
28th Sep 2005, 16:44
Off to fly the might Chippy in the near future. Would be nice to turn up knowing what I'm supposed to do! Does any one have a set of Chippy checks that they could scan and e-mail me?
Start-up to shut down checks would be ideal:ok:

Thanks in anticipation

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Sep 2005, 16:55
The Chippy is not really a 'check list' aeroplane. You need to be shown the drill on the aeroplane.

Fuel on, then engine is primed by pulling a ring in the engine compartment (which depresses the carb float), and hand-pumping one of the fuel pumps 'till fuel pees from the manifold drain. Then (following ususal precautions, such as brakes on, mags off, throttle closed, qualified cockpit occupant etc) pull the prop over 4 compressions to 'suck in'.

Strap in, ground / flight switch to flight, front and rear mags on, starter switch on, throttle set, 'clear prop', hit the starter (you may have to 'bounce' the prop over compression with the starter). When she fires, set 1200 rpm and check oil pressure. Starter switch off, radio and xponder on.

Carry out the pre-flight cockpit checks, and await 20 degrees oil temp before taxying.

Shut down - mag check, set 1200 rpm to equalise engine temps, radio and xponder off, then mags off and throttle wide open (to prevent run-on). Ground / flight switch to 'ground', throttle closed, fuel off.

I may have missed some details, but that's the gist of it. But you do need to be shown it.

SSD

Davidt
28th Sep 2005, 17:43
If you want to send me a pm with a fax number I'll copy mine.Its from the DeHavilland Chester Flying Club circa 1950's.

Warped Factor
28th Sep 2005, 17:46
Would also be happy to lend you my set of RAF Flight Reference Cards for you to copy, or I have my own short word.doc checklist that I could email you.

We just sold our Chipmunk, it went off to its new owners last Sunday, so no pressing need for either of the above at the moment :(

PM me if you'd like either.

WF.

bletchleytugie
28th Sep 2005, 17:54
I'm with SSD. I admit that the majority of my Chipmunk flying has been done on Lycoming engined versions, once you've been shown the pitfalls/excentricites it really is a delight to fly and not to much to worry about once you've grapsed the art of taxing in a cross wind.

Fill your boots

Curtis E Carr
28th Sep 2005, 21:20
"Fuel on, brakes on, throttle closed, switches off."

"Breach inserted, cowling secure, clear to start"

Do I understand that electric starts are now used? I used to enjoy going inadvertant IMC after firing several cartridges, only to find I had forgotten to put all 4 switches on. Happy days......

ChrisVJ
28th Sep 2005, 22:33
Pre take off.

T Throttle nut finger tight
T Trim 2 down
M Mixture rich
F Fuel on-sufficient
G Gauges, Oil temp & Press in the green
H Harness tight
H Hatch closed

Downwind

A Altimeter set
B Brakes off
M Mixture rich
F Fuel, on- sufficient for O/shoot
F Flaps as required
T Trim as required
G Gauges, oil temp/press
H Harness tight
H Hatch closed

36 years since I flew a Chipmunk and I can't get it out of my head!

Ace Rimmer
29th Sep 2005, 07:56
Chris: I was taught brakes: two to three notches (depending how recently they'd been tweaked)on downwind otherwise you could have a bad day...mind you this was on one with the cleveland mod.

Shaggy: don't forget a tug on the ring pull thingy under the front panel to make the oil sprayer go quiet.

Oh and post flight: Allow time for engine to cool a bit (about the time needed to make then drink a cup of tea) then arm yourself with plenty of paper towels or rag and get wiping (the oil off the various bits of airframe) and there will be loads especially if you've done any aeros...

Great fun though the Chippy has one of the best grins per pound ratios I've ever come across...

Small Rodent Driver
29th Sep 2005, 08:08
"Great fun though the Chippy has one of the best grins per pound ratios I've ever come across..."

That would be a huge grin then judging by the number of pounds Chippys need spending on them!:D

Lovely aeroplane.

Ace Rimmer
29th Sep 2005, 08:58
Too true on both counts always finish up with a socking great grin on the boat and a very much lighter wallet..

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Sep 2005, 11:57
Chris: I was taught brakes: two to three notches (depending how recently they'd been tweaked)on downwind otherwise you could have a bad day...mind you this was on one with the cleveland mod.

Have to disagree with what I beleive is standard RAF procedure here. 25 years of Chippying have taught me NEVER to land with any wheel brake applied - all it does is limit available rudder travel, which can spoil your whole day in a X wind. Land with the brakes off, and if the rudder alone won't hold it straight (unlikely unless it's a VERY strong X-wind OR you've allowed a swing to start), just gently ease back the brake lever with a crooked little-finger. You'll already have full rudder on, so that appropriate wheeel brake will be gently applied as required

Shaggy: don't forget a tug on the ring pull thingy under the front panel to make the oil sprayer go quiet.

Our's (and all others I've flown) don't have that facility. It's 'mags off, throttle wide open' to invoke silence from the front end at the end of the flight.

SSD

Ace Rimmer
29th Sep 2005, 13:23
SSD: I was aware of the rudder travel limit (ie before aeros confirm brakes all the way off).

But that's the way I was taught it a couple of clicks for landing / taxi (cept when manovering in a confined area then I kept/keep a hand on the break..)

Ref the ring pull thing - all my Chippy time is on the same airframe and it's got one of course I dunno how widespead they are

So the shut down sequence would be:

1200rpm ...Ts and Ps
Mag dead cut Check
Radios & Xpder Off
Pull Ring thing (Thottle to wide open as engine dies)
Throttle closed
Mags Off
Fuel Off
Gnd/Flight to Gnd

stillin1
29th Sep 2005, 17:01
Thanks all
I flew 14 hrs in one years ago (many years). e-mail PMs on thier way to those who offered.

Always did like Pprunes:ok:

ChrisVJ
29th Sep 2005, 20:15
I flew both RAF (as Cadet with UAS) and civil (G-APSC) at Kidlington. It was always brakes off on both for Dwind.

I remember also brakes "on and off" after take off , but then I guess that is general anyway.

Just mentioning too: Don\'t know about now in the UK but in those days one had to know all the checks off by heart. I was somewhat surprised when I started again in Canada that checklists had to be read.

Dan Winterland
1st Oct 2005, 11:02
And don't forget the 'unforgettable' downwing checks MFFHHB, remebered by "My Friend Fred Has Hairy Balls", or Mixture, Fuel, Flaps, Harness, Hood and Brakes.

As for brakes, in a thousand hours on chippys I never found it necessary to apply any brakes for landing. Within the crosswind limit of 15 knts, it's not necessary.

stillin1
2nd Oct 2005, 07:41
Dan,
Unsurprisingly - that was the one thing I had remembered;)

Chippik
10th Oct 2005, 08:59
Ace :could the pull ring thingy be the slow running cut out

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2005, 10:58
Best to fly a Chippy when Liz is paying :ok:

She was good enough to fork out for me to enjoy 13 hours dual and 10 mins P1 in 1978 - talk about grin/£ - I was earning £108/month after all deductions :} :}