PDA

View Full Version : Pyrenees accident

Pilotage
28th Sep 2005, 10:44
Distressing.

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1202062

P

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Sep 2005, 11:23
"......Most pilots have their accidents. They are not professional..."

Is that how we private pilots are really perceived? :confused:

SSD

IO540
28th Sep 2005, 14:26
Accident investigator Jeremy Barnett told the inquest ......... it may have been that Mr Hunter "had no choice" but to follow the route suggested by a satellite system through the mountains.

WHO does this "accident investigator" work for??? Or is it cr*p reporting again?

QDMQDMQDM
28th Sep 2005, 15:35
I couldn't comment whether it is the case here, but I think most of us know people about whom we would not be surprised to hear: "Did you know that old so-and-so smacked into a rock-stuffed cloud last week?"

There are some people about whom it is more surprising that they are still alive than that they should have a fatal crash.

QDM

shortstripper
28th Sep 2005, 16:42
What can you say? One accident too many? recklessness? or even causes unknown? However, at least they died doing something that they obviously both loved!

RIP

SS

WorkingHard
28th Sep 2005, 20:56
"reported missing after breaching the controlled airspace at RAF Waddington"

Who wrote this rubbish?

ChrisVJ
28th Sep 2005, 22:50
Maybe we can get past the 'reporting' and discuss the pertinent.

Should there be mandatory retraining and testing after an accident? While I'd like to respect every one's freedom of choice all choices in society have both restrictions and repercussions.

Recently an ultralight had to be helicoptered off one of our local glaciers after serious damage and injury to the pilot. I was talking to local people at the airport and learned that the pilot had already had three accidents serious enough to damage the aircraft in the last three or four years.

A chap flying the same kind of experimental amphibian I have was killed recently when turning final for a landing when his float touched the ground and the plane cartwheeled in. According to first reports he had made a low pass and was coming round to land- or not. He was not wearing a belt. He had already had several accidents of various seriousness and was known to be cavalier about risk.

These accidents will inevitably bring more restriction as well as giving our hobby a bad reputation, at least mandatory re-training might save a few from themselves.

bar shaker
29th Sep 2005, 07:25
These accidents will inevitably bring more restriction as well as giving our hobby a bad reputation, at least mandatory re-training might save a few from themselves.

Chris, I doubt it would.

People who are cavalier about risk taking are often dismissive of the value of training. As such, the training is normally a waste of time. I experience this every day, with people on my building sites.