PDA

View Full Version : Soloflight PA34 N43GG accident

Hotel Uniform Yankee
27th Sep 2005, 22:27
Has anyone got any info on the cause of the accident at HUY today. PA34 had a collapsed nose wheel on runway 27, 2 soloflight pilots were seen walking away unhurt. It was windy at the time but don't if this had anything to do with it.

englishal
28th Sep 2005, 07:02
No idea, but I know that the PA34 is exceedingly nose heavy when you chop the power, and if you don't hold the yoke all the way back it can lead to nose wheel problems. They say that on the 4th bounce the nose wheel collapses, I've only managed 3 bounces so far to date ;)

eyeinthesky
28th Sep 2005, 19:47
Slightly off topic:

A technique I use on the PA34 is to give it a couple of notches of nose-up trim on short final and hold the attitude against the trim pressure for the remainder of the approach. Then when the roundout comes, I relax the pressure and the nose-up trim helps to overcome the nose-heavy tendencies in the flare.

It requires a bit of practice, and don't overdo the number of 'notches' or you will end up with a rather interesting, if firm arrival as the aircraft stalls onto the runway!

George T
29th Sep 2005, 09:02
Yes it was me!

Nothing to do with Solo

I’d taken off to do some ILS work on 21 and then landed on 27 because of the wind.

I landed on the main wheels and held it off to help slow down and make the intersection.

As the nose came down it just went all the way. No sign of it been locked! And yes I had three greens.

When we recovered the plane the nose wheel came down and would not lock in but three greens still showing when the power was returned.

Sad thing is it’s my plane.:{

God knows how the insurance is going to be. :ugh:

But As you know we walked away so good landing I think :ok:

George T

englishal
29th Sep 2005, 09:15
Nice one george!

If it makes you feel any better, a very experienced instructor friend of mine landed an PA34, first time a heavy landing by student with late go around resulted in the gear dropping off as they went around, the second time the nose wheel collapsed for no apparent reason. The second effort happened just after the plane had come back from the shop from repair. Still they got two new engines out of it ;)

Wish you a speedy return to the air....