PDA

View Full Version : Flight Numbers

TFN
27th Sep 2005, 14:19
Hello ATC Issues readers!!!

I have a very random question regarding aicraft callsigns that I thought is best to be posted in this forum.
I have recently been conducting an in depth report into aircraft scheduling/flight numbering and was just wondering, for those airlines that operate with a four number flight number, do they usually use all four numbers in their callsigns?

eg.

say, a Thai International flight operates from LHR-BKK and it's flight number was TG1234

is it then normal for them to use the whole "Thai One Two Three Four" or is this ever abbreviated?

From the standpoint of those involved in air-ground communications, is there a significant operational impedement when using a four number flight number as opposed to three? I have been informed that this extra number can make a singificant difference to communications...

Would greatly appreciate people's views on this!

Thank you all very much in advance for the response!

chiglet
27th Sep 2005, 14:46
There are also "Alpha Numeric" callsigns...
FCA334C, EIN2J9 for example, as well as the "traditional" 3 digits, BRT202 and 4 digits DLH4881.
At Manchester we use the full c/s
watp,iktch

Lifes2good
27th Sep 2005, 14:49
Try looking at CAP 413 the CAA Telephony manual Chapter 2 page8 is the reference. Available on the CAA website.
Most if not all company Callsigns will use a three letter designator for the aircraft company followed by numbers and/or letters. This type of callsign should not be abbreviated, however as we all know in busy periods some abbreviation is sometimes wrongly used.
Hope this helps

27th Sep 2005, 17:49
The flight number on the ticket or the airport departure/arrival board does not always correspond to the callsign used by the pilot. Some airlines do use the number [Spanair/Iberworld/Futura nearly all use 4 numbers]. Many airlines use an abbreviated callsign consisting of numbers and letters for clarity and simplicity.
The airline code letters on a ticket do not necessarily appear in the same form on the pilot's flightplan. e.g. ATC recognise RYR as Ryanair but the ticket would be FR***; likewise a BA flight might be seen as BAW on the air traffic flight plan.
Some airlines use a code-share system and, for example, one flight operated by British Midland using a "Midland" callsign and a British Midland aircraft might carry passengers with a variety of tickets showing different airlines and flight numbers......check this out by looking at Heathrow arrivals on your TV text....see if you can spot how many code-shares there are for one aircraft.
The ultimate in simplicity goes to British Airways...their 4 number flight identity abbreviations for domestic short-haul can be as simple as "Shuttle 4G".....this is a further help to ATC because we know where all "4's" go....and the "2's", "3's" etc. etc.

Carbide Finger
27th Sep 2005, 17:50
And don't forget the 5 digit USAF callsigns : Reach/Evac/Sam!

CF

NWSRG
27th Sep 2005, 18:47
...to add to the discussion...

Why are Easyjet generally EZYxxxx, but in some timetables they are U2xxxx? They also have another ID for Swiss Easyjet, but I can't remember what it is...ESxxxx perhaps?

Gonzo
27th Sep 2005, 18:58
NWSRG,

ICAO operator designator (the one ATC uses that goes with the radio callsign) consists of three letters: BAW, BMA etc.

IATA airline code, on the ticket, will be two letters, ie. BA, BD etc.

Spitoon
27th Sep 2005, 19:23
Lifes2good is right that the UK manual describes the rules for abbreviating callsigns but it's important to remember that this is a UK manual. ICAO rules and phraseology vary in some respects - although not in callsign abbreviation as far as I recall.

The international definitive phraseology manual is ICAO Doc 9432 Manual of Radiotelephony.

Lifes2good
28th Sep 2005, 10:45
Thanks SPITOON,
Totally agree with you
ICAO still states no abbreviation for callsign with FLT NO.
Other callsigns seem to allow for various interpretations
e.g. Citation FBVMD to Citation MD or Citation VMD etc.
as long as there's no ambiguity or confusion which we should all aim for !!

falcon77
29th Sep 2005, 16:33
I have a question that is just a bit related to the call sign inquiry.

Does Pprune have a list of the two letter airline identifier codes? For example, BA is obviously British Airways, but there are many others that are not quite so obvious (CX, SQ) to an ignoranamous like me.

I have used the "search" function and turned up nothing.

Thanks.

Carbide Finger
29th Sep 2005, 17:01
Try here : www.airlinecodes.co.uk

CF