View Full Version : Help from Expat Pilots

Boeing 787
27th Sep 2005, 14:15
I have just been offered a job with a foreign airline. I have been looking forward to all this for quite some time but now that the offer is here I have to be honest and admit that I am scared and am having second thoughts.

I have no doubts about the airline or the country. I am sure that the move will be beneficial for my family and myself. The thing is that it is my first ever move and that now I would be having night stops (max 4 nights in a row).

My question is this: Is all this second thought feelings normal or am I chickening out?

Thanks for all your help

BlueEagle
28th Sep 2005, 00:00
It is very normal and will stay with you until you have settled into your new job, then you will wonder what all the fuss was about! It is the same with any job change, a feeling of insecurity until the unknown becomes familiar.

Just ask yourself, are you certain the job is an improvement and the country is ok for your family?

westhawk
28th Sep 2005, 05:59
'787,

It was true for me. My first big change since being on my own was when I joined the Army. A pretty big step. I felt like chickening out during my entire 90 day wait before reporting for training. But I'm glad I didn't and neither will you as long as you see this new job as an opportunity to achieve your personal goals. You'll adjust to your new surroundings in short order. Post a question about something that comes up during your IOE and let us know how it's going.

Best Regards,

Westhawk

Boeing 787
28th Sep 2005, 06:18
Thank you both for your help and encouragement.

Will let you know how it goes

OzExpat
28th Sep 2005, 10:53
You'll never be able to go into a new country and new operating environment with your eyes open. Customs might be different, rules might be different... hell, even the cost of living might be different. It's all so unfamiliar but you'll be surprised how quickly you can adapt to it.

And adapt you must! If you don't, you won't last very long. Forget about all of that right now though... just get in and do the job exactly as you've been trained to do it - accept any changes that the company wants you to make, because it'll mostly be SOPs anyway.

As others have already pointed out, the unfamiliar will soon become the familiar. Even down to any cultural differences that you might find! :ok: