PDA

View Full Version : Derek Davidson 5 Day Ground School

night hawk 150
26th Sep 2005, 20:51
Hi

Can anyone tell me if they have used or know someone who has used Derek Davidson's 5 Day Ground School?

I was looking to see if this was any good or not worth doing as i would like to get all my ground school out of the way as soon as possible.

your information and advice would be great.

Craig

Andy_R
26th Sep 2005, 22:11
See my answer to the same Q on Flyer........ (sorry BRL :O )

Whirlybird
27th Sep 2005, 08:54
I know someone who used them. He said it was basically a crammer - you went over each subject in a day, and then sat the exam before you could forget it all. He passed, as did others, but he said there were lots of gaps in his knowledge...not surprisingly, perhaps. He didn't sound as though he either recommended them or the opposite; I got the impression they were good for what they were designed to be - a crammer that enabled you to pass the exams, even if you didn't have much real knowledge at the end.

But bear in mind that's second-hand, ie, my interpretation of what someone else thought!

Jetscream 32
27th Sep 2005, 10:08
Ive known Derek for about 12 years and started my PPL when i was 17 in his ARV Super 2 G-OPIG - all he wants to do is get you flying and enjoying yourself - he is massively expereinced - extremely relaxed and will make you feel at ease.

He does all this himself - you will not get anyone else.

Come and join us in a beautiful part of the country and get yourself sorted with Derek - after all you only start to really learn about flying once you have your licence and never actually stop learning as no two flights are the same?

:O

night hawk 150
27th Sep 2005, 10:21
thanks for replying gentlemen it has been most helpfull and i think i know which route i will be taking.

and

Would anyone know the cost of this course?

Craig

Evil J
27th Sep 2005, 10:37
I would also recommend Derek, have no experiencee of his groundschool but fly with him every now and again for licence renewal purposes and have nothing but praise.

That said if you are down south look at CATS Aviation training, based near Heathrow the guy will provide you with some top notch groundschool training in just a short period of time - for the Mods, I have no financial connection with this (or any) outfit

Whirlybird
27th Sep 2005, 13:50
He does all this himself - you will not get anyone else.

Well, I'd heard that his wife helps with the groundschool, but don't take that as gospel.

wbryce
27th Sep 2005, 15:11
Whirly,

I think Jetscream may be talking about the flying aspect as I believe David also offers intensive flying courses also.

will

ariel
28th Sep 2005, 11:38
Whirlybird is correct. Dereks' partner, Claire, actually does most of the groundschool. (At least, that's the way it was a couple of years back).

Not actually done any groundschool with them myself, (I was there for some flying with Derek), but I've seen claire in 'action' - she is extremely knowledgeable, and good at passing it on.

I'd say give it a go

ariel

TJF97
30th Sep 2005, 15:56
Does anyone know if he does a full PPL course? If so how much does he charge to fly??

I know I could just ring him up but I'd like a bit of info first

Cheese

TJF97

The Right Stuff
30th Sep 2005, 17:00
I used Derek for the PPL ground school and would recommend them; Claire does do the classroom teaching, except for the 'how an aeroplane and engine works' exam.

One or two subjects are taught during the day, and the exam sat in the evening.

I spent a week there and got through all the tests first time, and I arrived with some prior knowledge such as the aforementioned 'how an aeroplane and engine works'.

The week course is quite intensive, with long days, but to just get them passed and out the way prevents them dragging on over weeks at the flying club.

I found the teaching style good, with classes of 5 or 6, and I had an hours flying with Derek too.

Again, most enjoyable, I was very relaxed and came away with some good experience.

Any more questions, feel free to pm me.