PDA

View Full Version : Battersea Barge?

connavar
9th Jan 2002, 20:31
Whatever happened to the idea of a floating platform Helipad on the Thames?
The idea fascinated me but I lost track of the plans and it obviously has not happened?
Any ideas as to why it didn't go ahead?

More to the point - anyone know what we'd have to do to set one up, and have you got a big barge kicking about doing nothing ?!? :)

ShyTorque
9th Jan 2002, 20:36
There used to be such a beast! I don't know why the proposed replacement never happened, but the sooner the better. Congestion at the present heliport is very bad at times.

elvistheopsman
9th Jan 2002, 21:06
Aha.. the eternal quest for a new London Heliport...

The Dome site would be nice with a bit of redevelopment - We got S76 into the site on a number of occasions (with the permission from the powers-at-be at the time) but no chance now!

The Barge idea seems not an entirely unfeaseable idea, but what about high and low tides? Fixed pontoon perhaps?

Any one else have a cunning plan?

HeliEng
9th Jan 2002, 22:37
There was a guy who owned a house boat on the Thames, considering purchasing an R44. He was discussion the feasability of a private helipad adjacent to his boat.

Don't know what came of that one. He seemed to be fairly serious at the time though.

"Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue!"

DOC.400
9th Jan 2002, 22:49
I think I vaguely remember that the barge idea was quashed due to the noise lobby..........

DOC

magbreak
9th Jan 2002, 23:36
How about a really radical idea and let helicopters into City airport? They have more space than Battersea and I'm sure wouldn't be too upset by the extra revenue.

On the barge idea if the Noise lobby got their way we'd be landing on things in the North Sea.. Ahh the memories...

elvistheopsman
10th Jan 2002, 18:53
Apparently a 'no helicopters' stipulation was in the planning permit for London City all those years ago - Again not to upset the residents with unnecessary noise... BAe 146's slip by almost unnoticeably dont they?!

t'aint natural
11th Jan 2002, 00:03
Going back to the 1950s there was a floating helipad between Lambeth and Westminster bridges, and in the about 20 years ago there was another one at Cannon Street, but it was closed down by the noise/safety lobby.
The BHAB has identified seven suitable sites along the river, and had high hopes of one at Gallions Point, on the south east corner of EGLC, but I believe that has now been built on.
No government (of any stripe) wants to know about this one, simple as that.
The BHAB has lobbied to have EGLC opened to helicopters but looks to be on a loser. The airport was originally given planning permission on the condition that no jets were allowed, and of course they have the 7-degree glideslope for noise abatement. Since that original decision, of course, jets have been allowed in - originally it was only the BAe 146, but in time it became fair game for just about anybody. But what chance of helicopters ever getting in there? Diddly squit, IMHO

Robbo Jock
11th Jan 2002, 20:27
I seem to recall (a vague memory from a short newspaper report I saw some years ago) a 'moving barge' helipad being sugested a few years back - mid/late 80's(?) The various authorities along the Thames refused it permission to moor in their patch, so it wasn't a goer (if you don't have access to the banks, a helipad's not a lot of use). I assume the planners were thinking of the noise/'safety' lobby. I don't think it got to the point of any public enquiry.
Cars, buses, lorries clogging the streets and clagging the air? No worries, the more the merrier. Helicopters trundling up the Thames? No way! Perfect sense to me (not). But then I am biased.