PDA

View Full Version : Flying schools at Coventry Bagington

Happy Wanderer
26th Sep 2005, 14:28
Chaps,

My first ever post on the PPRuUe. . . !

I'm looking to do my PPL - probably at Coventry given it's nearest to my home base (Daventry area).

I'd really appreciate any recommendations or feedback (good, bad or indifferent) on any of the schools that are based there before I part with my hard-earned £6k.

Many thanks in anticipation. . . . .

Blueskyrich
26th Sep 2005, 14:58
Hey there,

Can recommend Atlantic Flight Training if you are looking to go commercial after the PPL. Good bunch of professionals, good facilities and will get the job done.

By their own admission though, they aren't the cheapest and probably not the most suitable on the field if you are purely looking for a PPL and that 'club' type surrounding.

Good luck with it,
Bluesky

TJF97
26th Sep 2005, 15:18
I've done some research about this recently, although I live in London my evil in laws live in Coventry. I was going to stay with them whilst flying as its one of the cheaper places to fly in the UK.

Almat is the cheapest followed by FlyAWA, Cov Aero and Midland Flight Training. I didn't look into Atlantic but my advice to you is going visit them all!!

TJF97

aerobat 1971
26th Sep 2005, 15:42
Hi there,

I'm currently doing my PPL with Almat at Coventry. It's a very well-run, friendly club with sensible prices for instruction and aircraft hire. However, the standard of professionalism is still very high in all areas.

Don't expect to brag about a 'first solo after six hours' with Almat though - there's a comprehensive check list of lessons that you've got to complete that will take you between 12 and 15, but at least you have the security of knowing that you're ready when it does happen. (For example, no going solo until you've completed the full stall package).

All in all, I'm very happy with my choice of club. If you want more info goto:

http://www.almat.co.uk

Cheers,

David

wet wet wet
26th Sep 2005, 16:19
The best advice is to spend an afternoon visiting all of the establishments, they are all friendly people, and decide for yourself. Ask some questions, e.g. How long has the school been operating? Have a look at the aircraft, how old are they? What kit do they have? What of the building/facilities/car parking etc? Does the club/school have a social side?

My vote would be for the Coventry Flying School (www.covaero.com), part of the Coventry Aeroplane Club which has been member owned/operated since 1936. They currently operate a brand new fleet of PA28s. But visit them all and decide for yourself.

Coventry is a great place to learn. You have the benefit of ATC and in mixing with the 737s and other commercial traffic. Beware that this can lead to delays while you wait for an IFR movement, but nothing too serious.

pythagoras
27th Sep 2005, 09:08
Did my PPL a few years back with Midland Air Training at Cov. Not sure if they are still there - I hope so because they are a great bunch - friendly and professional

Send Clowns
27th Sep 2005, 10:27
A friend (surprised she has not replied here yet) did hers at AWA, and I think she had a good time there and was pleased with the training. Always visit all the choices before spending what is quite a lot of money.

Evil J
27th Sep 2005, 10:42
Very good advise from wet wet wet, have a looka t Wellesbourne too, not that far away and some very good schools.

Brooklands
27th Sep 2005, 13:25
HW,

You may want to have a look at this recent thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=189349) which covered pretty much the same ground.

Brooklands

Happy Wanderer
27th Sep 2005, 18:50
Guys,

Some great stuff here - really useful, many thanks for the advice.

Hadn't thought about Wellesbourne to be honest, but will certainly check it out. I guess the main attraction with Coventry is the number of schools there, but also the chance to mix it with the big boys at TUI.

Will let you know how I get on once I've paid a visit.

Invaluable advice though, thanks again.

Airbus215
30th Sep 2005, 08:54
Living on the borders of Leics/Warwicks Ive also been looking for a flying school in the area. I agree with "Wet wet wet" Coventry Aero Club at Bagington has a very good facility with there own hanger complete with a bar upstairs ;) With a great view over the runway, Lots of varied flying,training on singles and twins,Executive jets and regular Thomsonfly 737 500 movements .

As well as the brand new Piper Warriors they also have a full aerobatic Robin in the fleet and a number of other aircraft for hire.

Im hoping to start my path to the sky with them once funds allow :p

Footless Halls
30th Sep 2005, 19:57
Hi. Check your PM's...

Ex Oggie
14th Oct 2005, 15:55
If your still thinking about Wellesbourne, you may be interested to know that Wellesbourne Aviation have a new website at http://www.wellaviate.co.uk. It covers more than the flying club, giving quite in depth information on the airfield itself.

Hope this helps.

AerBabe
15th Oct 2005, 08:50
A friend (surprised she has not replied here yet) did hers at AWA

Err, missed this thread! :O

AWA was great - they're a really friendly club. Not as rich as others, with bars and hangars, but that's because they make less money out of the students... The instructors are not there to hour-build - many of them are ex students who are putting something back into the group.

CVT Pilot
16th Oct 2005, 19:55
Hi,

Also it seems I appear to have missed this thread...

Did my PPL with Midland Air Training at Baginton - as has previously been said a friendly and professional bunch and I would highly reccommend them.

Web: www.mats.uki.net

Good Luck with the training!

CVT Pilot.

cubflyer
18th Oct 2005, 21:18
Why not also check out Leicester, not that far away from Coventry. Very friendly club, lots going on, good airfield with 3 hard and 3 grass runways, friendly instructors.
Also no problems with waiting for airliners and giant circuits or orbiting downwind while one is coming in. So you get a lot more real training in your hours flying.

good luck!

BlueRobin
20th Oct 2005, 15:01
Daventry eh? I might have an aeroplane near by, but that's no use to you!

Leicester is a bit too far. I would say three options from Daventry. Sywell, Coventry and Wellesbourne. Sywell don't do flight training yet so that's out.

Wellesbourne - Wellesbourne Aviation have a modern fleet learning on Robin 200s and the place a good club feel (I learnt there). I understand South Warwicks are okay too but last time I looked you'll be leanring on C152s. PFT seem to do a stable trade on their proven yet aging fleet.

Coventry - Atlantic seem good chaps and know their stuff; I recently converted onto a tailwheel with one of their instructors. Not cheap though. With MATS you have a choice of Cherokee and that's it. AWA are not-for-peofit and have been going for 50-odd years, so if you like that ethic give it a shot. All 3 schools are maintained by "our" shop at the Airpark, Aerotech. I know nowt much of the others except that you could et some good deals with Almat depending on when and often you fly.