PDA

View Full Version : Equatorial Guinea - pointers please

Jangys
26th Sep 2005, 13:41
Can anyone assist in some pointers on flying in Equatorial Guinea? More specific: Malabo...

Easiest way to ship spares, rotate crew etc.

:D

Exhaust Manifold
26th Sep 2005, 14:21
Watch those CB's :p

Treetopflyer
26th Sep 2005, 15:17
As far as flying is concerned, make sure you have the required landing permits. The Guinean authorities have become psycho about these since the 2004 coup attempt, and these permits have become real painful to obtain.

As far as shipping spares... well... DHL is there, so I guess if you need a part in a hurry, there always that solution.

And there are scheduled passenger flights to France, UK, Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium. For other destination, you take a hop to Douala or Libreville and see from there.

Jangys
27th Sep 2005, 09:42
Thanks,

Have already obtained the neccesary permits since the company we starting a contract with is local.

What is the local CAA inspections like?

Any info on a place called BATA (FGBT). I could not find any letdown plates etc.

Treetopflyer
27th Sep 2005, 14:47
No published letdown procedure for Bata, you have to make your own GPS approach or break clouds over the ocean, northwest of the airport. There is a VFR control tower and an NDB, both in working order as of last month (sorry I'm on holidays so I don't have my company Bata approach plate with me, along with these frequencies).

Hard-surfaced runway, about 2000m long with a real crappy lighting system -- MIRL I believe. They are in the process of building a new runway accross the present one, so watch out for vehicles/personnel/stuff that may be wandering on the active runway/appron.

Avoid overflying the presidential palace compound on the west side of the airport.

Authorities in Bata are just as corrupted, inefficient and unfriendly as in Malabo. You normally have to pay ASECNA fees (landing & pax tax), Aeropuerto de Guinea Equatorial fees (pax tax) & traditionally the "handling fee" which is a bunch of soldiers requesting money, normally around 120 USD for a BE1900 to give you an idea.

Best hotel around: Hotel Panafrica, in town.

Have fun (sort of).:hmm:

-- TTF.

I.R.PIRATE
27th Sep 2005, 14:54
Hi man, I lived there for quite a while, and the best tip i could give you would be not to go! It is one of the most corrupt, unfriendly, nasty, filthy, nasty places in the world. Let them rot in their own filth.

Jangys
27th Sep 2005, 14:59
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately i have to go......need the experience. Thanks again.

Airforce1
27th Sep 2005, 16:10
Jangys are you an Operator or Pilot or Chief Pilot on behalf of an operator..... anything to do with a new ATR 42 setup there?

soups
28th Sep 2005, 07:04
KLM will discontinue their flights to SSG they will instead transfer passengers to their partner Air France via CDG using a 319 on CDG-SSG

Goffel
28th Sep 2005, 09:46
Jangys.

I spent a year living in Malabo and flew to Bata on a dailey basis.

Honestly loved the year there.

Sure the people are corrupt,but then so is most of the African countries,including SA.

I have a company let down for Bata for the fixed wing,which worked well.(will look for it and if you pm me with a local number,will arrange to forward it to you).

Supplies are available at the American shop on the island,and one other,where their prices are not thaaaaat expensive.

The guy in the tower on the island is a joke,but the people in the flight plan office,if treated correctly are fine.

Bata the control tower is fine as the guys in the office.(just depends on your attitude).

You certainly learn IF flying there.
Cheers and enjoy.
Goffel.

Treetopflyer
30th Sep 2005, 08:18
Bata the control tower is fine as the guys in the office.(just depends on your attitude).

Well, shame on me, then... Too bad my attitude prevents me from enjoying to its fullest the company of these delightful people...:} :} :}

putt for dough
1st Oct 2005, 00:29
Jangys...

I have to agree with Airforce1.Who are you??A operator or pilot?
Whats going on there in Malabo?It is as our fellow "ppruners" have mentioned,the ass end of the world.We don't wanna
work there and get salmonela and malaria.Most probably
we'll get it at the same time too.

Lets skip MALABO.

SCHWEET....

Jangys
3rd Oct 2005, 06:45
Operator, just stuck a DC9-32 in there.