PDA

View Full Version : ATSA Vacancies

DonDave
26th Sep 2005, 12:17
Hi all, my first ever post, so here goes.

i recently applied to teh ATSA 1 (ACPO) vacancies at West Drayton, Manchester and Hurn.

Its been about a month since the closing dates yet i have only received one email from the manchester vacancy saying that they are taking a while 'sifting'. However, i have heard through the grapevine that the Manchetser one will be going internally so that may be out of question anyway (i'm not a NATS employee-yet, im trying very hard!).

Has anybody heard anything or know whats going on? Ive put off a few other job offers waiting for one of these but am a bit worried about whats going on. Could they all go internal?? hope not.

if anyone hear knows anything that could shed some light, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

White Hart
26th Sep 2005, 20:51
DonDave

Before committing yourself to the NATS empire, if you have not already done so, you may wish to peruse all the available information on the official NATS website, which can be found at www.nats.co.uk.

I would draw your attention to the 2005 Business Plans for EnRoute and Aerodromes, and take a close look at the plans for ATSA staffing. You may also wish to speak to NATS HR about the in's and out's of the VCA (variable contract ATSA) terms and conditions, and see if your own application will fall under the auspices of the VCA programme. And whilst you are at it, ask HR for their latest information concerning ATSA staffing plans at all NATS locations, and especially at those you have listed as your preferred choices.

Good luck.........

What's a Girdler
29th Sep 2005, 15:39
Two of those locations are closing and Hurn is up for discussion, I work on the future systems of NATS centres, and the role of ATSA within the ATC centres will disappear forever in the next few years. Why don't you set your goals higher and go for a controllers job? It pays better (lucky buggers!) Us engineers get pitence, still I'm off to fly planes soon (hopefully)!

booke23
29th Sep 2005, 20:33
"Two of those locations are closing and Hurn is up for discussion"

When you say closing, you infere that those units are surplus to requirements...........The fact is they are being moved......with very little reduction in staff requirement....alot of the staff including ATSA's will opt for the generous relocation package. Hurn is very likely to be moved closer to Swanwick in the next few years....but again the staff will still be required!!

"I work on the future systems of NATS centres, and the role of ATSA within the ATC centres will disappear forever in the next few years"

How long have we been hearing this?.....a very long time......first it was "as soon as we get swanwick running we won't need assistants etc" The fact is assistants are likely to always be required.......maybe eventually in reduced numbers in centres.....there are still alot of Airports that will always require assistants.....even Stansted and Gatwick with their EFPS still require assistants!

Back to the origional post......HR a can be slow at times. but it is likely you will be employed on a variable contract......there may be a time limit to how long you can be kept on the Variable contract before you have to be offered a permanent post........3 years rings a bell....but that may have changed now.

Good Luck!

Dances with Boffins
30th Sep 2005, 07:53
There is no time limit on the VCA contract. All new ATSAs brought into NATS will be on VCA but once in you are free to apply for any permanent post that comes up.
Hurn are advertising NOW for ATSAs, but try the ATCO application on-line as well. It is true that NATS wants to phase out assistants everywhere but it seems to be taking a long time to do it. New Boss may have more success than old bosses.
ATCOs however are here for the forseeable and do get paid a lot more. Contrary to some of the opinions expressed on these hallowed forums, you don't have to have a brain the size of a planet to do the job. It might be right up your street...

Good Luck

DwB:cool:

DonDave
30th Sep 2005, 11:36
cheers guys.

For the record, i am awarer that the ATSA jobs will all be moving in the next few years, to be honest, im only interested in them as temporary jobs.

My wish is to become an air traffic controller, i have got to the interview stages twice but failed on tech int both times. The idea is that i can, through the ATSA jobs have a slightly better understanding of technical areas with a view to applying for the third and last time for an ATCO position.

failing that, a career in the ATSA positions isnt exactly unappealing, although second choice. I dont mind being moved around.

thanks