PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadian pilots

Random Electron
24th Sep 2005, 11:36
Can you guys either confirm or deny a rumour that keeps appearing this side of the pond (the UK). It concerns alchohol consumption. As recent change in UK law means we connot be on flight duty with more than .02 pro mille blood alchohol. This, I am told is almost at natural residual levels. This level is even enforced to the one hour post flight duty, so landing drinks are out.
We keep hearing that this is taken even further in Canada to any time a crew member is in uniform, so consuming the duty free on the crew bus from the airport to the hotel is out also, if one is still in any sort of uniform

Is this urban myth or fact?

Thanks.

in limbo
24th Sep 2005, 11:51
I am not entirely sure on the amount you are allowed in your system but I can assure you that if any company found out you were drinking in uniform prior to the hotel you would be gone.
All they would need is for anyone to see the crew in uniform sucking back a cold one and the media would be all over it.;)

Random Electron
24th Sep 2005, 22:01
Thanks, in limbo, but I was referring to the case when the crew is in the crew shuttle bus AFTER duty, having signed off, and on the way to the hotel. We are told that under Canadian law, even though we have finished duty and are on the way to the hotel, if we are still in uniform, a cleansing ale is verboten. Is that right?

in limbo
25th Sep 2005, 00:20
I would have to say that if the public sees you drinking a beer in uniform there would be hell to pay.
;)

Obbie
25th Sep 2005, 01:04
In limbo is right, the uniform has to come off before the first one is cracked.

I miss my twin otter days up in the arctic, if the dock hand allowed the props to stop spinning before he tossed two cold ones up into the cockpit at the end of the day, he was considered to be doing his job poorly. :ok:

I should give them a call, maybe they'll take me back.;)

lostav8r
25th Sep 2005, 05:22
We are told that under Canadian law

Not quite law. More of a company rule....that every company has.

Random Electron
25th Sep 2005, 09:19
Thanks for the replies everybody. It's actually the cabin crew I keep having to pull into line, not so much flight deck. Our girls just can't seem to wait until we get downtown and into the hotel before they feel the need to imbibe. I seem to remember a story of some AC crew 15 or so years ago who ended up in deep doo doo because the room service steward delivered some cold ones to their hotel room and arrived at the wrong conclusion. They had finished duty, but were still in uniform, with cold ones on the go. I believe (but could be wrong?) that the law enforcement agencies prosecuted these guys.

spencer101
26th Sep 2005, 11:48
As far as I know the letter of the Law still says 8 hrs in Canada but most if not all company's have a 12 hr rule. I have never heard of a post flight rule. Just common sense, if you are in uniform it doesn't look good in the publics eye's.

offshoreigor
27th Sep 2005, 04:59
Gentlemen,

In our industry these days it is not advisable to be seen drinking in or out of uniform. The good old days are gone. Way to many wannabes.

Cheers,

:eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

er340790
30th Sep 2005, 17:24
.......my, how things change!

10 years ago at the bar at the LHR Crowne Plaza, evenings were always livened up by a certain US airline's aged Senior Captain in full uniform propping up the bar having got on the outside of the best part of a bottle of Scotch, regaling public and crew alike with tales, including the memorable phrase "Gee, last night we brought that 7-47 in sideways!"

Ironically the airline is one of the few US majors not in Ch 11.

Dockjock
30th Sep 2005, 18:46
I'll just chime in with a me too here as well.

It isn't so much a matter of law, but one of company SOP or policy or whatever, and furthermore one of professional conduct. Before duty, after duty, on halloween, or in your backyard in front of the BBQ after work, it's not a good idea to drink in uniform.

Do I have pictures of myself shotgunning beer in uniform, hell yeah who doesn't? Just not on the crew bus eh.

Lost in Saigon
2nd Oct 2005, 07:34
I have been away for awhile now, so I may be out of touch.

Not too long ago it was quite common to consume a few beers or some orange juice based concoction on the longer crew bus trips. This alcohol was always "liberated" from the aircraft.

I believe they eventually developed a "zero" tolerance policy on removing anything from the aircraft, so this practice probably stopped at the same time.

In Munich, I recall the bus driver having a supply of cold beer available for a nominal price.

We tried to be discreet, but it was no big secret.

Random Electron
2nd Oct 2005, 20:43
Thanks once again for the posts, guys.
Just for the absence of doubt, my concern is about the consumption of refreshing beverages by crew still in uniform, after duty, which they have bought themselves using crew duty free priveliges. Notwithstanding any common sense, or company policy issues, does this actually contravene Canadian law? I have been told it does.
Thanks.

PS, I really like the idea of a couple of cold ones being tossed up to the FD by the ground crew, as per Obbie's post!

Lost in Saigon
3rd Oct 2005, 10:17
Just for the absence of doubt, my concern is about the consumption of refreshing beverages by crew still in uniform, after duty, which they have bought themselves using crew duty free priveliges. Notwithstanding any common sense, or company policy issues, does this actually contravene Canadian law? I have been told it does.

I have never heard of such a law in Canada or anywhere else for that matter.

I doubt a law like that exists anywhere.......

rigpiggy
3rd Oct 2005, 13:37
do a search on cars at tc.gc.ca or under ccc on justice.gc.ca as far as I know duty in our world is 1hour before flight to 15 minutes after but then the north isn't really part of canada