PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Swanwick, help wanted!!!

duece19
23rd Sep 2005, 15:14
Hi all.

Im just using this as a wildcard, figured that there would be quite a few people from Swanwick reading this.

We are a few airlinepilots flying through London Airspace on regular basis who are interested in a visit to Swanwick just to see the other side, and maybe learn something.

Does anyone have a good idea about whom to contact or what ways to take to arrange such a visit?

Help is greatly appreciated, so please PM me.

Thanks very much

Duece

turn right 5 degrees
25th Sep 2005, 14:43
Hi Deuce,

Every year all controllers pass through a course in handling different emergencies and unusual circumstances, these are carried out on the simulator at Swanwick in the past few years we have had pilots from various airlines sit in during these sessions and put their view as to what would be going on at the sharp end. It has proved very informative to both sides.

If you would like to be involved let us know, this offer is open to any bona-fide aircrew who fly airways over the UK. The sessions are during either a morning or afternoon shift and are starting in early November. If you want a chance book your slot now, first come first served.

tr5d

LGW15
25th Sep 2005, 15:40
If you call Swanwick to ask about a visit they are usually quite rude and say no or they don't reply at all.

25th Sep 2005, 19:31
Don't worry about rudeness, they treat me like that too..and I work there.
Phone 01489 612444.........this number is nowhere near where you should be calling.....but they are nice people and can transfer you to the Watch Supervisor who may be able to fix you up.
This is a really cool place to work.....in fact one of the guys brings the kids into the OPS room on a regular basis.....they actually make up some groovy clearances.
DUECE....interesting "handle".....ever used a number "6" with that...if so you are very welcome on my tube.

turn right 5 degrees
26th Sep 2005, 14:24
Unfortunately they are trying to cut out ad-hoc visits with everything being co-ordinated through a central point but the visits to the emergency sessions are for aircrew only and are offical, we even have a budget to pay travel expenses!!!

tr5d

ps hey 055166K you must have been in this outfit as long as me!

duece19
26th Sep 2005, 14:57
Thanks guys, Ive managed to arrange a visit tomorrow the 27th in the early afternoon. It will be with Mrs(?) A.B and we will get the normal presentation, but it would be great to plug in and see whats going on too.

If any of you guys are working then give me a shout.

cheers

DUECE :)

ps t5dr

I am indeed interested in that. I will pm you.

lobby
26th Sep 2005, 17:34
LGW15, I presume that they will not let you visit then! Not like them to be rude.

LGW15
26th Sep 2005, 19:20
Is the guy that 'lets kids in' named Tim?

My son wanted a work experience placement a few months back and I assume this is the guy you say 'brings kids in'?

5milesbaby
26th Sep 2005, 21:15
I know there is a guy at Swanwick (but not his name unfortunately!) that organises tours and having met him a few times know he's not the one to "give the finger" when asked for a visit if you have a professional interest. As an ATCO I'm more than happy to get pilots sitting in seeing our tasks as I know a benefit is made by everyone, us included. As its hard getting the jump seats then the more the merrier in our ops room so to get as much out from each others perspectives as possible.

I don't know if this guy does the work experience thing too, but doubt that he does. Someone else on here will post his name eventually, or a search of threads will reveal it as I know he has been mentioned previous.

The only alternative is to get to know an ATCO working at Swanwick and then get them to give you a tour. I feel that these tours are far more beneficial than the usual tours basically because we have the cheek to ask for you to plug in on the right sectors!! Sometimes it doesn't work out but we will at least give you something good to go home with :ok:

turn right 5 degrees
27th Sep 2005, 17:10
deuce 19,

I was working this afternoon, but have only just checked Pprune, sorry i missed you hope the trip went well and you want to come back again.

tr5d

5miles, the 'tour' guy has has moved on and the role has passed to a memeber of ops.

lobby
28th Sep 2005, 08:03
LGW15 really sounds like you have an axe to grind!

DUECE19 hope you had a good visit, always good to have pilots visiting, gives everyone a better understanding of what is going on.

LGW15
28th Sep 2005, 15:42
I have an axe to grind because my son had a work experience placement interview and found out it was total waste of time going all the way because they already had 2 people for the month my son wanted and 2 people a month is their max.

:mad:

Flap42
28th Sep 2005, 16:04
From my experience the interviews are conducted as if applying for a job. Professionaly carried out and fair. Maybe the other candidates were better.

LGW15
28th Sep 2005, 16:51
I think my son would have had to really go out of his way to impress them as, as I said, they already had 2 people and they wern't going to change them for my son.

duece19
28th Sep 2005, 17:03
tr5d

check your pm's

duece

Flap42
28th Sep 2005, 17:11
*I think my son would have had to really go out of his way to impress them*

Is this not what you should be aiming to do in an interveiw?

LGW15
28th Sep 2005, 17:16
Should be trying to impress them but he is only 14 and it was completely pointless getting his hopes up when they knew when they were interviewing him that he would not get a slot.

Flap42
28th Sep 2005, 17:23
*Not sure whether this is the right forum to put this in, however I am 15 years old from Surrey and I am interested in a career as an ATCO.*

Had a look at the work experience thread. Interesting 14 or 15 years old?

turn right 5 degrees
28th Sep 2005, 19:01
Duece,

Check your pm's

Tr5d