PDA

View Full Version : Callsign issues. Q for ATC personnel!

Crossunder
23rd Sep 2005, 12:00
My company, Widerĝe, is expanding outside the borders of Norway. Having a "Norwegian" callsign, such as "Widerĝe XXX"*, we often hear ATC calling us by the aircraft registration, like for G/A-flights. We, the crews, are not used to this, and will often not respond until the third of fourth <angry> call from ATC ;-)
My question is: Is this a problem for non-Scandinavian ATC personnel, or is it merely a question of familiarity with our callsign? Will this little problem disappear after you've all had som previous experience with our callsign? Some pilots have suggested we change our callsign to something a little more english-sounding, like "Seagull" - the company logo. Could this be a good idea? Need arguments from ATC personnel all across Europe :-)

Cheers!
Cross.

*Vee-der-uh, or something like that. The eeeh being more like the "u"-part in, say, Mulligan or fun. I think.

Lock n' Load
23rd Sep 2005, 12:04
Most likely is that the aircraft registration is needed for route charging purposes.

121,9_za
23rd Sep 2005, 13:03
Not from Europe, but from SA where we also have some funny sounding callsigns. Speaking for myself though, if I see or hear an unfamiliar callsign for the first time and don't maybe know what it is supposed to sound like, pronounciation wise, I just revert to the registration.

Rgds,
121,9_za;)

Chilli Monster
23rd Sep 2005, 16:48
I don't see anything wrong with Wideroe as a callsign. It's the ATC units who are in the wrong for using the aircraft registration when you've filed a flight plan using an accepted ICAO company R/T designator.

If they can't handle it on the ground then, unlike 121,9_za's comment the registration should not be used. It should be the 3 letter FPL designator for the company followed by the flight number exactly as written on the Flight Plan that is accepted and correct.

So - if they can't say Wideroe - then it should be "Whiskey India Foxtrot..........(Flight Number)............."

121,9_za
23rd Sep 2005, 17:06
Yes, yes cm - you are quite right. That is the proper thing to do. Just trying to shed some light on what might be happening. Down here the pilots sometimes don't know what they want to be called either. I humbly apologise....

Rgds,
121,9_za

23rd Sep 2005, 19:46
Just advise your aircrew that, whenever they are in unfamiliar skies, ATC may call them using the phonetic 3-letter code.
Eventually ATC will get to know you, and some ATC units can adapt their information displays [ radar labels and/or paper strip] to show your spoken callsign automatically.
When BRA changed their callsign it took a while to get used to the new one.
Please don't change your callsign for our sake...it would serve no purpose: and besides that, a fine piece of aviation heritage would be lost.....be proud to be Wideroe.
If I am working a previously unknown operator I can take out the ICAO book and look up your airline and your spoken callsign, your local ATC facility should have a copy.

cossack
23rd Sep 2005, 21:06
I had one a few weeks ago. I din't recognise the 3 letter ident, FRG and couldn't make out the callsign on first listen. I asked him to repeat and he said "Freightrunner", like a cheetah carrying a box".
Maybe you could say "Widerĝe, Norweigan with a seagull on the side" or something similar.;)