PDA

View Full Version : FAJS ATC "sacked"

Another fish
22nd Sep 2005, 17:37
Evening

The ATC that got "sacked" at FAJS, might actually not have been sacked.

Apparently, the said ATC was caught having had fallen asleep on a night shift. ATNS decided to kinda let it slide because the ATC had worked a lot of night shifts due to staff shortages. He was placed on probation for 6 months, another incident and he would be fired.

The RWy still belonged to GMC, crossing a vehicle. The ATC then had a RWY incursion, Either clearing someone for take-off to to land. The incursion was never reported by the ATC, but a manager from an Intl. airlines apparently brought it to ATNS's attention. The ATC was offered a desk job, but declined the offer, and decided to resign.

That's the story I have from a credible source.

Cheers!!!!

121,9_za
22nd Sep 2005, 17:52
Hi there,

Just want to clear a few things up. The ATC in question did get caught sleeping, ATNS didn't let it slide - the union got him off the hook (exceeding of hours etc.). Whether it was due to staff shortages I'm not too sure.
The last incident involved two aircraft, both international flights, one crossing the runway and one cleared for take-off.
And to be clear, he was not "sacked" because of the incident, but because he did not report it, and ATNS found out via the grapevine.

Rgds

Another fish
22nd Sep 2005, 17:59
Evening

I know he did not get "sacked", I stated that he had a choice, but decided to resign.

I also know that he never reported the incursion.

Apparently FAJS has staff shortages, I've seen a FLOW CONTROL message issued from FAJS that states that.

Cheers!!!!

121,9_za
22nd Sep 2005, 18:14
Yes - I am saying that it was not because of the incident that he got disciplined but because of what he then did, or failed too for that matter. FAJS has sent flow ctl due to staff shortages, when half of the rostered people book off sick and you run out of people to call in. But it is not a daily occurrence, and there will always be staff issues because people keep leaving!!!(not that I blame any of them)