PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel Engine failure into Frankfurt (FRA)

Mr Bombastic
22nd Sep 2005, 10:42
Anyone know what happened with the Kestrel 224? No. 2 Engine failure close to Prague last night about 2330ish. Went on for an hour to land @ FRA. Workload increased by the unruly passenger who was to be arrested on landing.

Listened to most of it, and have to say the flightdeck appeared to be very calm and collected. Sounded like a good job done considering the circumstances, even with the various air traffic agencies being too co-operative. I'm sure the crew could have done without a lot of unnecessary ATC interruptions!

TenAndie
22nd Sep 2005, 16:01
Is that why there is a positioning flight in to Manchester from Frankfurt this afternoon ??

There also seems to be a knock on effect with quite a few MYT flights having delays.

Kestrel_909
22nd Sep 2005, 16:09
MYT224A showing due into MAN from FRA, B752.

EGNH01
22nd Sep 2005, 16:49
FRA-MAN Ops Air Italy B757
TenAndie there no knock on delays where have u got that from?

crewboi83
23rd Sep 2005, 00:24
so am i right in thinking it wasnt a MYT a/c... but the air italy 757 they have operting for them?
on that note, anyone know why air italy is operating for myt?

EGNH01
23rd Sep 2005, 12:41
Air Italy are operating for MYT because of the engine failure they are covering for them until Saturday afternoon

jackbauer
24th Sep 2005, 13:00
No. 2 Engine failure close to Prague last night about 2330ish
Went on for an hour to land @ FRA
Workload increased by the unruly passenger who was to be arrested on landing.
What happened to "land at nearest suitable airport" ???

Yak97
24th Sep 2005, 14:29
PRG to FRA 220nm.

If he was in the cruise near PRG, by the time he'd got down & round to land at PRG he would almost be at FRA? I can't think of anywherelse that would be open at that time of night?

JW411
25th Sep 2005, 09:34
Nürnberg is open all night.

diesel36
25th Sep 2005, 21:25
it was a myt a/c 757.. the said a/c is back in manchester now..

Duff beer
25th Sep 2005, 22:02
another MYTRAVEL emergency incident handled with the utmost professionalism.
Well done to the two involved. You have yet again proved why our record is second to none.

diesel36
25th Sep 2005, 22:37
exactly.. well done..

Codman
26th Sep 2005, 21:32
2nd to none in whose eyes?

Would it not be better to have fewer incidents?

gashcan
26th Sep 2005, 22:47
Codman, it is always better to have fewer incidents, but when they do occur it's also quite good to handle them correctly and safely, as was the case on this occasion.

BTW, are you implying that MYT have more incidents than other operators? If so, maybe you could provide some verifiable statistics in support of that view?

Flying Guy
4th Oct 2005, 08:42
Jackbauer. It doesn't just say "nearest," it says nearest "suitable" airport. "Suitable" has many dimensions including maintenance facilities, passenger facilities, emergency equipment, time of day or night, weather, available approaches, political considerations, etc. All of this is considered by the commander and crew when deciding which is the nearest SUITABLE airport.:ok:

jackbauer
4th Oct 2005, 08:53
You are quite correct, however flying around central Europe on one engine for an hour appears a little excessive. Put the thing on the ground and worry about what the company will think later. I feel sure your pax and your family will thank you.

Flying Guy
4th Oct 2005, 09:08
Humm, did I say something about "what the company will think?" Don't think so. And I am sure the passengers and famlies did thank the crew.

jackbauer
4th Oct 2005, 09:46
You cant be told so I won't bother. Suffice to say the pax were probably blissfully unaware of their predicament.

Max Angle
4th Oct 2005, 11:25
I think you would have a hard time justifying flying on for an hour just to get somewhere with passenger or maintenance facilities. In my mind "nearest suitable" when on one engine (obviously different if you have 2-3 remaining) means the GEOGRAPICALLY nearest airfield that is long enough, is open and has suitable weather for the approach on offer.

pebbledash
4th Oct 2005, 11:28
Jackbauer,
I understand that the mayday went out just before 23:55 and the aircraft landed at 00:32. Therefore, it didn`t go on for an hour as you seem to think.
Also, it wasn`t overhesd Prague but working Prague control in Czech airspace close to the German border.
FRA 060/06 Cavok with 2 13000 feet slabs of concrete. Aircraft heavy. Need we go on.

Daysleeper
4th Oct 2005, 11:59
suitable weather

Ah but what is suitable? If the airfield below you has a 200 foot cloudbase, 550 meter RVR and a blustry crosswind then technically that is within the 757s single engine limits. On the other hand perhaps going another 15 minutes might get you FRA with CAVOK and 5 knots down the runway.

(not saying that is what happened here)

4PW's
4th Oct 2005, 12:22
I was on the B757/B767 for a while; 12 years.

The nearest suitable airport for a simple engine failure, as compared to the not so simple uncontrollable fire type scenario, came down to "which is closer by way of time?"

Whilst airport A may be geographically closer than airport B, the time taken for a suitably proper and thorough briefing for an approach to A may be more than that for an approach to B.

In that case, A is closer in time and therefore the nearest suitable.

The differential may be one of familiarity with A over B.

On the other hand, more complex issues often come into play: weather, terrain, airport facilities such as a radar versus non-radar environment, precision approach navaids versus non-precision approach navaids, and so on.

I agree with the Kestrel posters and, though not with the company now or in the past, I'd like to echo their sentiments.

"Well done lads."

Duff beer
4th Oct 2005, 17:39
Well done lads

Lad and ladette.
;)

Ballymoss
4th Oct 2005, 20:35
And she's very nice too!

Rgds
The Moss:ok: