View Full Version : Sennheiser VS Telex

CitationTen
22nd Sep 2005, 03:05
Hi,

I'm currently flying a jet aircraft (with a semi noisey cockpit) and am looking for a lightweight headset with some noise (it needs some noise attenuation, because the cockpit is still too loud to be wearing a headset with no noise attenuation) attenuation (due to the relatively low noise of the cockpit, noise attenuation isn't as important (in comparison to flying prop planes), and also, I'm really looking for something that's small, light, and comfortable).

So far I have it narrowed down to the Sennheiser HMEC25-KAS and Telex Airman ANR 500. Can anyone who has used these (one of them, or even better... both) comment on them? Or if you've tried another headset brand/model that you really like, tell me about it?

The main things I'm looking for in the headset are:

1 - Comfort (is it lightweight (important to me)). Does it have any uncomfortable pressure spots. Is it comfortable when wearing sunglasses? How comfortable is it overall?

2 - Noise attenuation (how well does it attenuate noise levels in the cockpit? ...is it a quite headset?)

3 - Clarity of ATC/general conversation/sound through the headphone's speakers. (Is it clear? Although I know the aircraft interphone/radio system has a lot to due with this.)

4 - How good is the mike on the headset? (I've used some headsets where the mike (electret) wasn't as good as others (ie - your voise would be very quite, etc).

5 - Overall quality/fit and finish of the headset. (Will it fall apart after a year's worth of regular use? Is it durable?)

6 - And last but not least, would you recommend the headset?

I know I've just written a long drawn out list, but if anyone can provide any insight into my questions, it would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks very much!!!

Cheers

BlueEagle
22nd Sep 2005, 12:22
Used Sennheiser for years and very happy with it. Just remember, there is a box in the system that is both relatively heavy and requires batteries! Supporting the box is not usually a problem and monitoring the little green light for the batteries shouldn't be either.

Intruder
22nd Sep 2005, 16:17
Bought a Sennheiser 3 months ago after using a Telex (no ANR) for 7 years. HUGE difference in clarity of communications! No hot spots. Batteries last about a month.

JJflyer
23rd Sep 2005, 11:05
Sennheiser comes with a model that does not require batteries.
My ears vote for Sennheisers any day.

JJ

Charles Darwin
23rd Sep 2005, 13:29
Go with the Sennheiser. The microphone is a little bulky, but very clear and has an adjustment screw (never had to adjust though). They are in the middleweight and after about four hours itīs good to take them off for a couple of minutes, if only to enjoy them again.;)

PitotTube
23rd Sep 2005, 21:27
which sennheiser model is it that comes with noise reduction without the battery pack? I know telex have a model that supplies noise reduction without batteries. the telex 850. which is the sennheiser equivalent?

thanks pt

JJflyer
23rd Sep 2005, 21:41
Sorry cant remember what model number it is. I will have a look. We have them in most of our fleet.

JJ

PitotTube
23rd Sep 2005, 22:39
thanks, because I can't seem to find the sennheisers ANR without batteries and I am really interested in a pair. JJ flyer, what type of aircraft are you on? I am on the 737NG and trying to find out if they will possibly work well on that aircraft.

/thanks pt

Intruder
24th Sep 2005, 04:55
"ANR" means "Active Noise Reduction," and will not be available without batteries unless power is supplied by the aircraft. PASSIVE Noise Reduction (earmuffs, etc.) can be accomplished without batteries, but with a significant weight penalty.

I am not aware of a Sennheiser ANR headset that works on aircraft power.

JJflyer
24th Sep 2005, 05:32
Hi Intruder you would be right.

From Sennheiser website:

"The HMEC 25-KAX-1 is a very lightweight and comfortable closed pilot's headset with stereojack, PJ-068 Connector and XLR-3 Connector for powering the NoiseGard from board"

For more info Click here (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_aviation_active-noise)

I guess these headsets are really not "Personal" and have to be installed by the company. Looks like if you want to get your own you need a battery pack.

JJ

Capt Claret
24th Sep 2005, 05:51
CitationTen

I've briefly tried the HMEC25, some colleagues have them, and though good I don't think they're as good as the Bose Aviation X I eventually purchased.

With the HMEC I found the pressure on my ear uncomfortable, particularly when wearing sunnies.

The Bose however, has a larger cup which fits over the entire ear, rather than sitting on the ear. Its noise attenuation is excellent. 2 x AA batteries last for 100 hours, or there abouts, rehargable not quite as long.

The Bose is a little heavier than the Senheiser but having used a DC H10-80 for ten or so years, I haven't found its weight onerous.

From a service perspective, one of the ear-cup cradles on mine broke after about 9 months (5 yr warranty I think). Spoke with Bose in Sydney who couldn't explain it but said send for repair.

They turned the headset around in the one day, which I thought was pretty impressive service.

I'm very happy with my Bose and would happily recommend them to any one.

CitationTen
25th Sep 2005, 04:07
Thanks for the replies everyone. Capt Claret, I was thinking of the Bose X too, and have heard nothing but good things about them, although I was hoping for something a little bit smaller (and lighter).

The planes in the fleet (planes are almost brand new) actually also have an "ANR jack" (that's what it's labeled) in addition to the normal mike/headphone jacks. Are there headsets out there that have an ANR jack? (looks like the plug on the old ps/2 keyboards for computers...about 10 or so pins, but never counted). I think on Bose's website I read they make a headset with this type of jack (but not sure)? Maybe Sennheiser does too.

Intruder
25th Sep 2005, 16:14
I have the HMEC-45, not the -25. According to the Sennheiser specs the -45 weighs 30 g (17%) less than the -25, but the contact pressure is less than 2/3 that of the 25. I like the lighter weight, and the open-ear style suits me. If your airplane doesn't have a hot-mic intercom, sliding the -45 earpiece half off the ear to hear cockpit conversation works a lot better than with the closed-ear types; the ANR effect, though reduced, still exists when you do this.

I've tried out friends' Bose headsets, and they certainly are nice. However, there is a $500 price premium (just about double), and Boes doesn't have the open-ear style option.