PDA

View Full Version : Request Direct Diekirch

The Real Slim Shady
21st Sep 2005, 11:05
Would be grateful if anyone who could spare the time to salve my curiousity.

We, drivers airframe, are all guilty of asking for direct routings: usual thing is turn up at Maastricht boundary and ask "Direct DIK please" or in Italy " Direct VALEN" or wherever.

What does that involve for you guys with the scopes? Is it a pain in the butt to have to deal with the request? What do you have to od to approve it? Contact other sectors?

Would be interested to know. Might shut me up:O

biffo170
21st Sep 2005, 12:13
Generally if directs are available we give them to you. The sooner we can get you out of the main flow of traffic the better for the both of us. The usual reason we cannot give the direct is becuase of military activity. Sometimes we can make a call to the mil's and they might let us fly through, it just depends on what they have flying at the time. If we can see them on the radar we just don't bother.

On a personal note I don't mind you asking for directs but when the freq is obviously busy, it is a call we can do without. Chances are you'll block another call and we probably can't offer you anything anyhow.

ayrprox
21st Sep 2005, 14:22
Shady,:cool:

As Biffo has already stated direct routings are offered when they can be, and at weekends and from late evening to early morning whe our military cousins are flying less and danger areas are cold we will offer routings as a matter of course.

The main problem with a direct route is that they can involve a fair amount of coordination, especially if the sectors involved are not expecting and have no details on you. It makes conflict detection a bit more difficult which is why sometimes you will be told that a direct route is not available only to be offered the route later on. this is because you can now point out the aircraft involved on the radar and can mentally judge you against his/her traffic and agree or not as the case may be.

If a routing involves just me and one other agency (ie maas, or ekch for example) then i know i am more likely to ask the next centre if a direct is available. the exceptions to that are routings into londons airspace where, in my experience directs can be a bit limited until the mil give off route approval at which point LACC are very accomodating. They have the same problems as us and no doubt others with regard to the complexity of the airspace and the placement of the many danger areas throughtout the uk which restict the use of directs.

If a routing involves more than one agency then the coordination required gets to a point where it becomes too involved to be worthwhile. not exactly the news you want to hear as a user of the system i know, but we have to draw the line somewhere

For instance in scottish airspace we get requests for direct DIK from luxembourg arrivals coming down the north sea via TOPPA. No. 1 problem is that if the danger areas are active then you haven't a hope in hell. that corner of airspace is too small to shoot you through on a direct track between them. if they are not active and we send you too early(obviously dependent on which direction you're coming) you cut across the bottom right hand corner of londons airspace at lamso which can be very busy late into the evening with east and west bound traffic and they will have no details of you at all so coordinating would be a nightmare. Better to wait until the LACC person can see you and then ask (provided i dont get side tracked and forget that you asked for direct in the first place:})

Hope this helps you understand a little as to why you get turned down and that we will give you direct when we can. That said, like biffo i dont mind you asking. if you dont ask you dont get!
:ok:

Lon More
21st Sep 2005, 15:53
KOK dct DIK is very much a military concern during daytime, after all they have to have somewhere to play.
To some extent direct routings are also dependent on the mentality of the staff involved, some will do the extra co-ordination, some won't. There have been considerable improvements in ATC flexibility in the past few years as data exchange improves.
Invariably when a direct routing is available you will be offered it.
Older controllers at Maastricht may remember Swissair and "the chocolate route", KOK dct SPR - who said bribery doesn't work?:O. But remember the co-ordination involved - Belgian and French military and at least two sectors at Reims - very complicated

The Real Slim Shady
21st Sep 2005, 19:04
Thanks guys. I just wondered how much extra work it caused you when we ask for a direct. Obviously it is appreciated; I wanted to explore the other side of the coin. Thanks again.

garp
22nd Sep 2005, 07:39
You're very welcome but don't forget to spread the word now.
Cheers.