PDA

View Full Version : Next Fly-In, Leicester, Sunday 09th October.

BRL
20th Sep 2005, 20:43
Here we go then, how about this, seems central enough for most and a chance to see the amazing 49 second circuit!

Can someone get in touch with the boss there and see if we can get a discount landing fee or any other information please?

As usual, if anyone is going from Shoreham, Redhill, Chichester etc let us know :)

Andy_R
20th Sep 2005, 20:47
BRL

Not sure I can get the group plane 2 weekends running but will let you know asap...................... I really must think about buying my own :ooh:

DubTrub
20th Sep 2005, 21:21
BRL
I will PM you.

Whirlybird
21st Sep 2005, 17:04
With any luck I really will make this one. :ok:

Seat probably available from Sleap.

Mariner9
22nd Sep 2005, 08:34
Hols booked so work won't interfere. So subject to wx, Mrs M9 & I will be there.

nick14
22nd Sep 2005, 12:58
am at leicester and will ask the boss!!:ok:

Anyone need some ballast? new PPL and would love any flying i can get!!

:sad:

Nick

italianjon
22nd Sep 2005, 17:40
I would love to come...

I am a PPL stude, waiting to do QXC, weather has got in way... so I can navigate, and communicate, and aviate a little...

Excellent ballast, for that little extra fpm on the descent...

and am based around the Thruxton/Popham end of the world.

Sure I met some of you at the Popham one... Sorry if I have forgotten who you are on here... memory like a sieve!!!

Monocock
23rd Sep 2005, 08:43
See you all there !

(I must remember not to overfly Husbands Bosworth this time)

DubTrub
23rd Sep 2005, 20:03
Sorry to be so late in getting back, BRL.

Leicester will waive landing fees for the Pprune Fly-in on 9th October, but will welcome (and appreciate) donations to the Club's chosen charity this year. For those who know Ludwig, and his remarkable progress, you will understand to which charity I refer.

Here's hoping for the weather!

Rob

bletchleytugie
24th Sep 2005, 10:06
Qutoe from Monocock

"I must remember not to overfly Husbands Bosworth this time)"

Same apples to Bicester and Weston on the Green unless you wanting shouting at from another thread on this forum.

Hope to get there but not sure if I can hold of anything to come in yet.

Regards

Bletchleytugie:ok:

Monocock - PM inbound

Bletchleytugie

DubTrub
24th Sep 2005, 21:46
True indeed, Bletchley, except the others are not en route :p

benhurr
26th Sep 2005, 12:10
Anyone want to pop into EMA to pick me up enroute? I can arrange the departure fee..

Monocock
26th Sep 2005, 16:57
Same apples to Bicester and Weston on the Green

Do you prefer Granny Smiths or Cox's?:}

I know my son likes throwing Mini Cheddars out of the window at 2000' but apples.....

bletchleytugie
27th Sep 2005, 19:08
I must learn to type one of these days:\
:*

Brooklands
28th Sep 2005, 17:18
Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one, I'm flying with a couple of other guys the following weekend, but Leicester and back is a bit too far for me if I've got to pay for both legs.

Enjoy yourselves.

Brooklands

Monocock
30th Sep 2005, 07:56
What an excellent venue for the next event.

DubTrub's just informed me that he will be providing us all with a lovely four course lunch and arranging free fuel for all aircraft with a wheel at the back.

Top Man!!:ok:

Mike Cross
30th Sep 2005, 10:20
What a fine chap he is! Better go easy on the port though unless you can get someone else to drive on the return leg. See you all there.

Mariner9
3rd Oct 2005, 16:29
Those flyer dudes are planning an invasion (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16969)

Still, as Mono, Mike Cross and myself (at least) can attest, they're generally a friendly bunch :ok:

Chilli Monster
5th Oct 2005, 08:59
Looks like I may be there - see you around.

G-KEST
5th Oct 2005, 21:45
Well sounds like a popular destination so I will make every possible effort to gird my loins and make an arduous journey to EGBG............. by Citroen ZX...........!!! After a much needed restorative mug of java I will coaxe my zimmer frame in the direction of our hangar and extract, with considerable assistance, our beloved G-KEST. It will then be parked, and possibly flown, to either delight or, alternatively, disgust those worthy Pprune members assembled.

Welcome all to our General Aviation paradise........... though I do fear for the subsequent solvency of DubTrub's piggy bank.

It will be great to put faces to handles.

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :ok: :zzz:

stiknruda
5th Oct 2005, 22:06
If Sunday's wx is clement, seeing that Trapper is wheeling out his bird, I might arrive in mine.

Stik

G-KEST
5th Oct 2005, 22:30
I really must explain S&R's terminology. His term "bird" has connotations that might be a problem. Diana has an attention span on aerodromes of 60 minutes unless there is something extraordinary going on so I will not be "wheeling" her out....!!! This unless she wants to come. To the best of my recollection no other "bird" would be "wheeled" by me anywhere. Thus the "bird" has to be our Steen Skybolt.

I trust all is now clear to save any misconceptions.

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:ok:

G-KEST
6th Oct 2005, 14:06
On the other hand I have frequently lusted after some of the "birds" S&R has "wheeled" out at aviation gatherings. Respect...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

stiknruda
6th Oct 2005, 16:45
Trapper - I assure you that you won't be dissapointed on Sunday, then! Best you pray for good weather!

Stik

ozplane
7th Oct 2005, 10:09
If the annual's finished I'll be there as long as I can use the long runway (Northrepps and all that!!)

Whirlybird
7th Oct 2005, 11:29
Weather looks OK, and I have a spare seat from Sleap if anyone wants it.

G-KEST
7th Oct 2005, 13:46
Ozplane,
Runway 10/28 is always the preferred one and is always available on request. The other shorter runways are used if the crosswind component on 10/28 gets a bit excessive, say 10 knots but less if needed for a student at his/her specific stage in training. In such a situation then just ask for 10/28. You might have a bit of a delay but it will be possible for you to use it.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:ok:

Monocock
7th Oct 2005, 17:34
Hey Whirls !

We're gonna meet at last!!:O

Now where did I put my Old Spice eau de toilette???

DubTrub
7th Oct 2005, 17:47
Donations in lieu of landing fees will be for the benefit of the Stroke Association (http://www.stroke.org.uk/)
[edited to add: FOOD is available from about 10:30 till 3:00, drinks til later]

Whirlybird
7th Oct 2005, 19:09
I know, Mono. I just can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ozplane
8th Oct 2005, 07:48
Thanks for the info on 10/28 G-KEST. The paperwork is on "short finals" so I hope to be there.

Whirlybird
8th Oct 2005, 17:55
What time is everyone planning to get there?

Monocock
8th Oct 2005, 18:50
Depending on WX, I'm aiming to be there at around 12.30 local.

Andy_R
8th Oct 2005, 21:02
We shall be there around noon.....

Mariner9
8th Oct 2005, 21:55
Midday-ish for us I too

Whirlybird
9th Oct 2005, 06:25
Midday-ish it is then. See you all in the cafe.

G-KEST
9th Oct 2005, 08:39
Well the TAF's and METARS look fine for EGBG. Further east the temps/dewpoints spreads look as though the temp needs to lift a bit which it should by around 1100 local. See you there.
Cheers,
Trapper 69

Whirlybird
9th Oct 2005, 17:44
Well, it's "official" in the sense that I said, "Is anyone taking note of who's here, to write it up on PPRuNe?" Silly question really..."You are", they all said. So here it is, at least as seen by Whirly....

I arrived about midday, and looked round the cafe for anyone I recognised. There was no-one. :( I was just about to put on my silly Gatbash badge that said "Whirlybird" in large letters, when Mike Cross appeared, either recognising me (we have met, somewhere) or guessing who this lost-looking female was. Anyway, he introduced me to Monocock , who's much nicer in real life than on PPRuNe (which isn't saying much, considering how he talks to me on here :{ ). But Mono had brought me a chocolate cake as a peace offering, and Whirly will do anything...well, almost :eek: ...for chocolate cake. ;) But I digress; this is supposed to be a PIREP isn't it.....

Others there were Tallguyina152 , Cloud69 , ozplane , and some gatecrashers from The Other Forum...but they seemed very nice, so we let them join us. :) Coffee and bacon butties and so on were consumed, and various others arrived...according to my list we ended up with Chilli Monster, Mariner9, Mrs Mariner9, FlyerFlyer, Hollywood295 , and last but definitely not least, G-KEST , who thanked us all nicely for contributing to his CAA pension!!!! Some of us were less than amused. :) If I've missed anybody out, my apologies, but at one point we took up three tables, and I was trying to carry on three conversations at once..."Does that baguette taste better if you stand there, Whirly", asked someone.

Gradually people disappeared...some for a trip to Sheffield, some to go to Bicester, and I started worrying about the gusty winds forecast for the Sleap area. Mono said he'd bring me my promised cake, which was in his aircraft, before he left....but he didn't!!!!! :{ :{ Now, Mono, there's only one thing worse than not bringing Whirly a peace offering after you're nasty to her, and that's bringing a chocolate peace offering and taking it home again!!!!!! And no, you're not forgiven. :{ :{ :{

I finally dragged myself away from a fascinating conversation with Cloud69 about writing for the mags, as my intermal weather radar was telling me to get back to Sleap! It was a long trek home in a steadily increasing headwind; I kept descending to get less wind, then climbing to get over the hills, then descending again. C150s don't go fast at the best of times; I think most of the cars were going faster than I was. At Newport I switched to Sleap Radio, and the first thing I heard was that the wind was "25 gusting 30". :eek: Yikes! I wanted to be down there.

But when I arrived, it was probably only about 20kts, not that gusty, and straight down the runway. Still, I was a bit shattered after being thrown around the sky for an hour and a quarter...on a flight of about 65nm!

I hope the rest of you had easier flights back. It was great fun meeting you; it's ages since I went to a PPRune fly-in, and I think I should do it more often. So I know winter's approaching, but...can we do it again soon, please!

Cusco
9th Oct 2005, 17:56
Well I was there albeit briefly:

Quick chat with Chilli monster and Adrian W before I had to get my pax back to Knettishall as he had to take family to Southend by road to pick up new cat!!!( I offered to fly him there, but offer declined)

Just enough time for a bacon sarnie and off again: I think the main PPRUNERS hadn't arrived when I left.

Still: good run there and back: non- flying pax flew there and back and I was mighty impressed by his altitude keeping and course following: in fact I think I've got a new recruit for GA.

Cheers

Cusco

Monocock
9th Oct 2005, 18:39
Good to see everyone. Only sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi to more but we had to press on soon after lunch.

I think DubTrub generously did more to help organise it behind the scenes than many of us realise and for that we are grateful Rob. I am feeling terrible that I didn't put a donation in the box so remind me when I next see you to put this right.

The weather was kind although I can't help feel it is about to make a turn for the worse soon.

I hope all had a safe flight back.

P.S Not only did I forget the donation, I also forgot the cake
Mrs W. Sorry about that. The kids asked me to tell you it was very tasty! I'll make it up next time by bringing another!

:D

FBS
9th Oct 2005, 18:45
Sadly I didn't make this one but we had a great day at Popham with over 450 movements. Lots of interesting stuff and great weather.

I had a birthday too.

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and I will try to make the next one.

FBS

Andy_R
9th Oct 2005, 20:17
Good to meet some new faces - Whirly, Mr & Mrs Mariner9, G-KEST and ozplane amongst others.

Missed meeting Cusco and Chiili Monster which is a shame as I wanted to put faces to their pseudonyms - next time maybe.

Thanks big time to DubTrub - you had me pondering all the way home ;)

If only all airfields were as friendly as Leicester, with the real club atmosphere and attitude.

DubTrub
9th Oct 2005, 20:26
I think a very succesful day all round at Leicester...the weather was wonderful, Monocock met Whirly, Mike Cross missed Cub Driver, and donations to The Stroke Association (http://www.stroke.org.uk) amounted to £107.00. Particular thanks to N reg Mooney driver for your donation (can't remember you handle; I'm sure I will dig it out from the archives).

Thanks to Cloud69 for the flight. Now you know what your feet are for!

I'm sorry I didn't meet everyone (these anonymous forums are lousy for that).

I'm also sorry that BRL couldn't make it. Surely it's about time the "L" got taken away? Mike B offered to investigate the next fly-in location (somewhere in Wales, I believe?)

Thanks also to our A/G operators, Arthur & Martin (morning) and Chris (afternoon) for their forebearance. Also to Pete on the desk (a closet Proon lurker, you know) for his help in clawing donations from arrivals.

Rob

G-KEST
9th Oct 2005, 20:32
A memorable day all round. Great turnout which everyone seemed to enjoy. Now you can see why Leicester is my chosen base for the Skybolt. Heres to the next time.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tall_guy_in_a_152
9th Oct 2005, 21:15
Thanks for the prompt pirep Whirly:ok: it was a great day out. Thanks also to Cloud69 for pointing out the details to those of us who spend more time on another forum :O .

hollywood285
9th Oct 2005, 22:42
nice to see a few old faces and a few new, its amazing how people are not what you expect them too look like !!:ok:

stiknruda
10th Oct 2005, 10:32
As I arrived in my biplane, Cusco was obtaining taxi information.

Saw DubTrbub and G-KEST but got into conversation with the Leics based Pitts boys and left around 1545!

Stik

BRL
11th Oct 2005, 00:13
Good to see you all had a good time, maybe next time we could do a combined PPRuNe/Flyer fly in somewhere as this turned out ok.

Dub Trub, many thanks for sorting things out, a good effort mate and a few quid in the pot to boot, nice one. :) (btw, the L will disappear when the 'got-money-no-time, got-time-no-money' situation sorts itself out!)

Did anyone take any pictures?

Andy_R
11th Oct 2005, 08:32
Did anyone take any pictures?

OOoopps!! :O

Got a few on the way back home if that's any good :ugh: