PDA

View Full Version : Jazz or $$$?

medflyer
20th Sep 2005, 17:02
A lot of guys I work with are having this dilemma, and I suspect it is a common one; we are all Captains on heavy t/props (Dash 8 equivalent) making good $$; of course all with the dice in hand waiting for the call from AC (which may never come); a lot of guys are making the jump to Jazz, but the paltry salary in TO is a real challenge--now the phone has rung and I have my Jazz interview coming up...what are some of the thoughts on this type of move? I am going to take it if it is offered(long term gain argument), but it is going to be a 40% paycut and it is going to be UGLY for the first year ...my long term ambition is to go to CX or AC, so I think it is a step in the right direction vs. flying into fishing camps and reserves, which is my current gig.

Thoughts or opinions?

:ouch:

cplpilot
20th Sep 2005, 17:23
It seem to me the right choice, i have the same dilemma with a non-fly job!!!
I make 90K/year typing a keyboard and if i found a pilot-job i probably end up making 1/3 of it. What i have to consider is :
-mortgage
-wife
-son
when you have a family all change, if you are free and with an eye on the future, i thing you are making the right decision...

meaw
20th Sep 2005, 17:27
Medfly,

First of all how old are you and what is your family situation?

How long would you have to be at Jazz to make what you are making now?

The advantage at Jazz is that eventually you will get Jet time and I think that helps with Cathay.

Canadian Beech
21st Sep 2005, 04:52
Same boat here... what to do:bored:

flyboy519
21st Sep 2005, 08:21
First things first ... Go to the interview and get the offer.

After that is when you start thinking about it. Some things to consider.

1- Are you happy with your present company ?
2 - Is your present company financially solid ?
3 - For those of you looking to CX, EK or some places overseas, Will you get the necessary experience staying where you are ?

Other things to consider are family life, present financial position. I dont envy you guys, you will have difficult decisions coming up. I guess I count myself lucky that Emirates called before I got an AC interview.

Good luck to all

FB519

herc driver
21st Sep 2005, 12:48
Medflyer

A lot of my military (CF) air force colleageus are in the same boat. We have CC-130 and CP-140 pilots who are very afraid to make the scary jump and salary cut to go to mainline. Senior Captains (rank) are making >$90,000 and junior Majors are making $103,000 flying rusted out airframes al over the world and getting shot at ........ but the $37,000 penalty pay for the first 2 years and living in Toronto with a family just sacres the heck out of guys. I guess going from being a senior guy back down to being the most junior guy in a purely seniority-based system just scares these guys.

Don't worry - you are not the only guy who is facing difficult decisions.

Like the other guys said - get the interview and wait for the job offer from Jazz. That costs nothing. Only after that fact will you then have to face the difficult decision.