PDA

View Full Version : Please leave your mobile phone ON!

JohnnyRocket
20th Sep 2005, 16:17
A British airline's going to be one of the first ever to allow people to use their mobiles while they're flying.

From next year they'll be allowed on BMI flights from Heathrow within Europe.

It'll cost more than a pound a minute on top of your usual mobile call rate.

Basically you would use your phone as normal - they will install a local network on board - like sitting next to a mast. You can use a blackberry and get email via your phone. Reason they're not allowed currently is because it interferes with communications when phones try to search for networks on ground if have one with you that won't happen. This is a trial and in planning stages - hope to bring in in 2006.

Here's a bit more info on it....

British company BMI Airlines and Portuguese carrier TAP are set to give inflight mobile phone and laptop e-mail services a trial run, the Swiss-based information technology firm OnAir said Tuesday.

OnAir, a joint venture of Geneva-based SITA Information Networking Computing and European giant Airbus, said the trials would be the first ever on commercial flights, after a series of in-house dummy runs.
The services are scheduled to be offered from late 2006.
OnAir said that by then it expected the technology, which is being developed with help from Siemens, to have a green light from regulators.
"These airlines are investing in the future and will have a definite edge on their competitors when it comes to bringing this technology to the market," said OnAir chief executive George Cooper, a former pilot.
"These are ideal partnerships for OnAir as our research findings indicate that in-flight use of mobile phones is the number one communications choice among airline passengers, particularly on short and medium haul flights."
BMI is set to test the service on an Airbus 320 flying from London's Heathrow airport to destinations within Britain and elsewhere in Europe, while the TAP trial is planned for an Airbus 321, also on European flights.
"We believe that business passengers flying within Europe will very much welcome this new capability," said TAP chief executive Fernando Pinto in a statement.
The new system, which relies on widely used GSM technology, aims to allow passengers to make calls, and send text messages and e-mails to people on the ground using their own mobiles and laptop wireless Internet access.
"We are sure that many travellers will welcome this expansion of their ability to keep in touch while in the air," said Cooper.
Airlines have provided onboard air-to-ground fixed telephones on some seats at a premium charge.
The move to virtually unhampered in-flight telephony would end the airliner's status as one of the last few havens from mobile telephones.
In a nod to the potential annoyance caused to passengers who want a quiet flight, OnAir said the trials will also guide the airlines on "usage patterns and some of the social issues in using mobile phones on aircraft."
jwf/avz/nh

unablereqnavperf
20th Sep 2005, 16:40
Damm is there no end in sight to these nuisance devices! If some jerk thinks he's going to sit next to having hios "HI I'm on the plane" or other totally useless conversation I afraid he/she will become the victim of an AIRAGE attack!

philip2004uk
20th Sep 2005, 16:45
And i wouldn't want to sit next to a phone radiating next to me or a mast as i would like to keep the brain tumour chances to a minimum and please don't talk about how really they don't do harm because that's what they said about smoking.

Oshkosh George
20th Sep 2005, 16:47
I guess that's BMI and TAP off my airline list then!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised MOL hasn't thought of this!

Re-Heat
20th Sep 2005, 16:51
Lighten up and embrace new technology folks; keeps us all in a job powering the economy!

It was bound to happen sooner or later - if your airline doesn't install it soon, it will be your airline the the business traffic shuns...

Could stick everyone who wants a mobile on in a section on their own?

amanoffewwords
20th Sep 2005, 16:58

Yeah, in the cargo hold :)

bad idea imho, esp. on short-haul - but the £1/minute + international call charges may put most people off + annoy the beancounters, hopefully.

Oshkosh George
20th Sep 2005, 16:59

What--you mean out on the wing? Great idea!

philip2004uk
20th Sep 2005, 16:59
HAHAHA cool but there's still that thing with there being radiation, hopefully there'll be an organic airline that is radiation reduced like instead of low-cost airlines low-radiation airlines:p

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 17:02
A quick call to bmi showed that they knew nothing of this. So I shall e-mail the MD to appraise him of my views since they so kindly supplied me with his e-mail address.....

The last thing I would ever wish to have to endure on any flight would be a succession of mobile phone conversations.

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2005, 17:04
>Could stick everyone who wants a mobile on in a section on their own?

Like they did with addicts of the pernicious weed . . .

El Grifo
20th Sep 2005, 17:08
The trick is to sit and stare directly at the person who is making the call.

The first thing they do is drop the volume of the conversation, followed by a turning away of the head. This is often followed by a termination of the conversation.

I have only practiced this on London Buses and various European restaurants up until now and it really works a treat.

If the subject is particularly stubborn, leaning towards him or her whilst still staring often helps. In desperation the final ploy is to ask the person to speak up a bit, as you missed the last part of the conversation.

To date that has never failed !!!

:ok: :ooh: :ok:

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 17:19
To Mr Nigel Turner, bmi:

"Dear Mr Turner,

I read with utter astonishment that bmi are to run a 3 month trial permitting the use of OnAir's voice and text service for cell phones from the cabin of Airbus A320 aircraft during 2006.

I can think of very little else which would serve to worsen the existing misery of short haul air travel than exposure to unrestricted mobile phone users with their irritating ring tones, shouted conversations and general lack of consideration for others. In an airborne environment, I would be unsurprised if it led to increased instances of 'air rage'. The whole notion is utterly crass and I will certainly ensure that I do not travel on any bmi flights should any such idiocy be allowed to continue beyond the trial period.

The only acceptable use for mobile phones would be to restrict them to outgoing calls only - and from within a purpose-built soundproof booth installed in the cabin. But that would require you to give up seat space, so would probably impact upon your revenue stream.

You may feel that the tone of this e-mail is somewhat terse. I assure you that it barely hints at the anger I feel."

El Grifo
20th Sep 2005, 17:21
Add my signature to the one BEagle.

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 17:25
It won't have as much impact as e-mailing him yourself at [email protected]

It won't be much fun for the cabin crew trying to explain that you are not allowed to make cell phone calls from this A320 even though you did so from that A320 yesterday.....

The whole idea is madness!

Max Angle
20th Sep 2005, 17:26
Free for crews I trust!.

philip2004uk
20th Sep 2005, 17:28
HAHAHA cool but there's still that thing with there being radiation, hopefully there'll be an organic airline that is radiation reduced like instead of low-cost airlines low-radiation airlines:p

El Grifo
20th Sep 2005, 17:38
Email in the pipeline to Mr Turner.

Thanks BEagle

forget
20th Sep 2005, 17:53
philip2004uk, Why the constant pre-occupation with mobile phone radiation? The telephone frequencies are around those used by sixties primary radar and, consequently, around those used for jamming same. Jamming - as in very heavy, glycol cooled equipment at the back end of Vulcans. Believe me, if mobile phone 'radio waves' had any effect on you then there'd be no one left around from the V force. Certainly not ECM fairies.

philip2004uk
20th Sep 2005, 18:05
sorry i pressed something like back page and refresh and it posted twice

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 19:30
Well, I've had a reply from Mr Turner. He states:

"The phones will be restricted to a strict protocol. I.e., no incoming, outgoing under strict circumstances.

It's all about blackberries and laptops really"

Which doesn't really sound much like:

Bmi to trial mobile use on flights

Two European airlines are to allow passengers to use their own mobile phones on commercial flights within western Europe.
British carrier bmi and TAP Air Portugal have both agreed to introduce OnAir's voice and text service for cell phones in separate three-month trial runs, OnAir's Chief Executive George Cooper said.

The planes, which will be the first to allow passengers to make and receive calls with their own mobile phones while onboard, will give OnAir the chance to assess its service before its general release, slated for 2007, he said.

as widely reported in the media.

Ar$e, elbow, Turner.....?

El Grifo
20th Sep 2005, 19:39
Got the same reply BEagle.

Shall I contest it with the comment from the press. Can you name me a source ?

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 20:19
The story appears to come from Associated Press. Here's just one report from about 150 on Google News:
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8CO0IUO3.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

amanoffewwords
20th Sep 2005, 20:20
There's always the press release on the onAir website which has a quote from Mr Truner:

“The OnAir offering opens up an exciting new era for business travellers allowing them to use their own GSM mobile phones and other GPRS-enabled devices such as the BlackBerry, to make and receive voice calls or to send and receive SMS messages or emails during the flight. We are sure that many travellers will welcome this expansion of their ability to keep in touch while in the air,” Turner
added.

http://www.tenzing.com/en/press/onair_bmi.pdf (pdf)

amofw

BEagle
20th Sep 2005, 20:23
So OnAir say that incoming calls will be allowable, but Turner says they won't?

And the truth is...??

ayroplain
20th Sep 2005, 20:44
As soon as he/she starts up just take out your rosary beads and start reciting the Rosary loudly - into his/her ear.

Turn It Off
20th Sep 2005, 20:57
Surprised MOL hasn't thought of this!

Will he be providing cigarette lighter style phone charging ports??!! :cool: :}

PAXboy
20th Sep 2005, 22:31
Will he be providing cigarette lighter style phone charging ports??!! Oh yes he will. Haven't you seen the concept drawing with the coin meter slot for the charger socket, built into the arm rest - where the ash tray used to be? :p

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

cwatters
20th Sep 2005, 22:45
Hopefully this is all a wind-up. I mean how the thing going to fly with a mast sticking out the top :-)

bmi expat
20th Sep 2005, 23:16
So OnAir say that incoming calls will be allowable, but Turner says they won't? And the truth is...??

According to OnAir the capability will be there to have incoming calls, but I would imagine that individual airlines who take up the new system will be able to tailor it to their individual needs. So in the case of bmi, if they do not want to offer the capability of receiving incoming calls then they will most probably be able to have that functionality removed. I'm sure time will tell which actual parts of the system will be introduced, if any, after all that is the point of a trial.

And for those who say they won't fly bmi as a result, I'm sure that if the trial is successful, bmi won't be the last airline to introduce it. Any airline that is serious about wanting to attract the business market (BA/AF/KL etc...) will introduce it. And any airline interested in milking even more money from passengers by charging for new services (FR/U2 etc...) will no doubt jump on the bandwagon too.

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened and the trial will determine if there is a market for it. I myself hate the idea of the person sat in the seat next to me yapping on their phone all the way through the flight, and would not consider using my own phone if it cost an extra quid a minute, but I do realise that if the demand exists, there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

BEagle
21st Sep 2005, 06:13
Yes there is - a concerted campaign from passengers to boycott any airline stupid enough to permit unrestricted use of mobile phones in an airborne environment.

If use of mobile phones is to be allowed on board, I suggest:

1. From boarding until cabin crew safety brief, unrestricted use.
2. Whenever belt signs are ON, use of any cellphone prohibited.
3. In flight, OnAir picocell on, outgoing voice calls are permitted, but only from a soundproof booth (toilet-size with seat instead of WC). Voiceless data devices only permitted in cabin.
4. When belt signs are OFF after parking, unrestricted use.

The call charges are too low - make them €5 per minute on top of the user's own tarriff.

eal401
21st Sep 2005, 06:54
Nothing more to add other than bye bye bmi.

:)

goshdarnit
21st Sep 2005, 08:40
Just heard it reported on BBC Radio5Live, report mentioned mobile 'phones, but singularly failed to mention laptops or blackberries....

Would Airbus need to design a "hands free" kit for the cockpit?!!!

CargoOne
21st Sep 2005, 08:53
Probably I will be the only one here to be happy about this innovation :ouch:
However if there will be no incoming calls then it would be no different to inflight phones existing on a longhaul aircraft for a long time apart from the fact that it will be available on shorthaul flights as well.

goshdarnit
21st Sep 2005, 08:59
I've actually yet to see anyone use any of those "in seat 'phones" on long haul flights - I bet mobile 'phones would be far more widely used, the bucket 'n' spade brigade off to Torremolinos or the hen partys going to shagaluf would be non-stop

Globaliser
21st Sep 2005, 10:24
I get on board aircraft for some peace, quiet and sleep.

Now look what they're doing! :mad:

philip2004uk
21st Sep 2005, 10:31
Did someone say they keep theirs onn at the moment and it doesn't have a problem. but i remember a pilot noticed the tip tanks open because of a passengers mobile or something.

Groundgripper
21st Sep 2005, 10:44
'I've actually yet to see anyone use any of those "in seat 'phones" on long haul flights.'

Unfortunately I've been seated directly in front of one who did - 5 minutes out of Dubai headed for Manchester and it was "hello, we're on the plane,...etc.,..etc" for several minutes at max volume until she realised everyone around her was laughing and imitating her. Rapid end of conversation!

GG

bekolblockage
21st Sep 2005, 11:03
As soon as he/she starts up just take out your rosary beads and start reciting the Rosary loudly - into his/her ear.

Reciting the Koran may get an even quicker response. :ouch:

AKAAB
21st Sep 2005, 15:21
Recent report I read was that the TSA/Homeland Security is against the open use of cell phones and other communication devices on an aircraft. Open use of cellphones and instant communication devices (Blackberry's) would allow the opportunity for the inflight coordination of terrorist acts. Also, don't forget the bombs in Madrid were triggered with cellphones.

AKAAB

bekolblockage
21st Sep 2005, 15:50
Right. So as long as we've got that straight with the terrorists - no mobile phones switched on you guys, you hear?

RevMan2
21st Sep 2005, 18:57
But Nigel, in your press release you said

""The OnAir offering opens up an exciting new era for the business traveller allowing them the use of their own GSM mobile phones and other GPRS-enabled devices such as the Blackberry, to make and receive voice calls or to send and receive SMS or emails during the flight. We are sure that many travellers will welcome this expansion of their ability to keep in touch while in the air," Turner added.

bmi expat
21st Sep 2005, 23:42
Also, don't forget the bombs in Madrid were triggered with cellphones.

Yes the Madrid bombs were triggered using cellphones, but you would still need to get the bomb on the aircraft to begin with, if that is what you are refering to. If it was that easy to do that then terrorists wouldn't wait till they could use their cell phones on aircraft to blow them up!

HKPAX
22nd Sep 2005, 03:45
My wish-list:
- no whinging kids
- no smoking
- no mobile phones
- no sumo wrestlers in adjacent seats
- ditto persons who have not washed
- no warm beer
- er, that's it.

SkySista
22nd Sep 2005, 08:16
yeah stick them in their own section where they can compete against each other and we don't have to listen.

The other thign that works a treat is to either copy every word they say (you know how you did to brothers/sisters as kids)

or to act as if you are the person they are talking to and respond.... :E