PDA

View Full Version : C152 or Warrior?

Jay_solo
18th Sep 2005, 15:21
Hi,

I have started my PPL training, and infact have around 30 hours. But I will be completing my PPL in the US. The school I will be attending has C152's, but I've trained on PA28's up to now. Would there be much training needed to transition to the C152 from the PA28? How much simpler or easier to fly is the C152 compared to the PA28?

Thanks

G-ANDY
18th Sep 2005, 15:59
Jay,

I believe the transition across is fairly simple and the two aircraft probably handly quite similarly. Don't forget that when you move onto your CPL that you stand a high chance of training in a Piper again.

G-ANDY

geraldn
18th Sep 2005, 16:53
i personally did all my ppl training on a tecnam p 92-j with a stick instead of a yoke ,when i went to the us to do my hour building after 6 months not flying i was quite apprehensive about flying a warrior which obviously has a yoke,
however my checkride only lasted 20 minutes and i was certified to fly solo instantly to my surprise .
so dont worry it all comes back to u after a few minutes irregardless of the plane.
regards.

High Wing Drifter
18th Sep 2005, 18:02
I couldn't possibly imagine any difficulties for a Warrior pilot to transition to a 152 or visa-versa. The main difference between the two are fuel management (152 has gravity tank and hence no fuel pump and a simple on/off fuel swtich so no swapping tanks.

However, no 152 checkout is complete until you have unwittingly brained yourself on the pitot :} I think it even drew blood :mad: 152 1, HWD 0.

tacpot
18th Sep 2005, 19:12
I had to get a paperclip from the office to dig out the sliver of skin the pitot shaved off my forehead! :hmm:

And I'm just beginning a conversion in the other direction: C152 to Warrior.

The manual flaps, fuel management and quadrant controls were the biggest differences I could see. I managed to operate the throttle friction instead of the carb heat on a go-around! Not easy to mix the two in a 152!

Good luck tp

markflyer6580
18th Sep 2005, 19:39
if you are currently in training you will have no problems as you will be in the training mindset.only problems with the c150 is the lack of room if you or your instructor are any more than 5ft and 8 stone!!!!:ok:

Maude Charlee
19th Sep 2005, 11:45
No problem converting at all. They both suck big cheesy ones. Badly designed, shabby handling and usually older than the pilot. If they were cars, you wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Like comparing a Lada and a Yugo. :D

HELOFAN
19th Sep 2005, 18:27
I learnt in the 152 and the Aerobat 152 and loved them.
I have flown in the Warrior and although a nice a/c I didnt like it much.

Low wing - making ground visuals a bit harder, banking left and right does solve but a bit annoying , especially with in circuits where as the 152 has great visibility.
Although smaller the 152 handles very well and is not a mjor issue unless you are a fatty.

Also very much disliked the tank switching every half hour to stay in balance.

Also had an incident where the left hand strut collapsed after landing when clearing runway ...not nice.

for my 2 cents I would fly the 152 anyday.

Gerhardt
20th Sep 2005, 02:49
I've logged around 150 hours in each and can tell you that the conversion will be amazingly simple. Here are a few things to take note of.

1. 152 has cross-feed tanks so there's no need to switch tanks on cross-country. It also has no fuel pump.

2. 152 is more like a toy, so it's much more responsive to control inputs.

3. 152 is much lighter so you'll get bounced around more in the wind and with thermals.

4. 152 will not give you the excessive float when landing that the Warrior does.

5. IMPORTANT: The Warrior is spin resistant. The 152 is not! Watch your airspeed in the pattern. And be careful when doing practice stalls or you can get yourself into a spin.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

and a p.s. to Maude Charlee...KMA. They're both fun planes to fly!

Final 3 Greens
20th Sep 2005, 04:43
The other obvious difference is the V speeds.

The 152 will rotate, climb, cruise, descend, approach and land at slightly slower speeds to the Warrior.

Also, you will need to learn the RPM for the critical speeds.

I have about 35 hours on 150/2 and nearly 200 on PA28. As a touring aircraft, the PA28 has advantages, but for me, the 152 is a better trainer. It requires more pilot input and sharpens up your handling/trimmer skills in a very positive way.

In summary, a safe and good aeroplane.

Sorry to disagree with you Gerhardt, but I don't remember the 150/2 being quick to spin - it will drop a wing at the stall under some circumstances, but judicious use of the rudder will stop the spin development and at 30 hours, that should be well within the graps of a student pilot. Now the PA38 is a different matter!

Of course, one must always monitor airspeed in the pattern, since spin recovery at pattern heights is very difficult or impossible.

High Wing Drifter
20th Sep 2005, 07:30
5. IMPORTANT: The Warrior is spin resistant. The 152 is not! Watch your airspeed in the pattern. And be careful when doing practice stalls or you can get yourself into a spin.
I seem to recall my instructor needed 2/3 flap and a 60 deg turn before he could get it spin!!

Tinstaafl
20th Sep 2005, 16:16
I don't recall Piper Warriors being approved for intentional spins except for the Cherokee series with the slab wing. Even then I don't recall it was approved for intentional spins with flap extended. Unless it's approved differently in the UK? What does the a/c's flight manual specify?

Gerhardt, the Warrior is NOT spin resistant! It has never been tested & certified as such in its development. There are very few a/c that have been certifed as spin resistant. Just like the C152, the Warrior was required to demonstrate spin recovery ability during its certification.

Genghis the Engineer
20th Sep 2005, 16:33
It is a requirement of certification that all light training aeroplanes do not show an strong tendency to enter a spin. It is also a requirement that if they will spin, they must recover from the longer of a 1-turn/3-second spin within no greater than one further turn when handled correctly. This includes spinning with flaps at all settings, gear down, etc. at entry BUT you are allowed to retract them during the recovery - if you're fast enough!

There is a concept called "spin resistance", which describes an aircraft that is not possible to get into a spin. Very few aircraft that I've ever come across met the stringent requirements for spin-resistance certification, although they do exist. I'm not aware that any PA28 variant falls into this category.

Of the dozen light aircraft I've run the certification of, there was only one which came out as spin-resistant, which was a French machine called the HM1000 Balerit.

G

Maude Charlee
20th Sep 2005, 16:36
Gerhardt

Flying is fun. Flying a C152 or Warrior is only fun because it is flying. As a/c they are junk. I've logged 500 hours pretty much between them both, and only because I have to - it wasn't by choice. I still maintain you wouldn't buy them if they were cars. They are poorly thought out in terms of layout, with the Warrior probably being the worse of the two, stodgy handling (like flying a blancmange), and both have restricted visibility, with the high wing being my own personal hate for circuit flying.

Lots of much better a/c out there for all kinds of reasons. Then again, maybe I'm spoiled. I learned to fly in a Bulldog, and compared to both of these, it is still a glorious little a/c. Well designed cockpit, excellent visibility, pin sharp handling and still just about the most fun I've had with my clothes on. Just what a decent a/c should be.

However, as I said, there is no problem converting between the two.

slim_slag
20th Sep 2005, 17:55
Could you consider anything with a canard on it to be sort of spin resistant out of the box? Jay, how much more is a warrior per hour in the States? Cannot be that much in it, would be worth paying, in my opinion.

er340790
22nd Sep 2005, 20:53
Both excellent little aircraft. Personally I find the Warrior/Cherokee much better for ground visuals in circuits, and if you regularly need to take more than one pax then there is no question (although the Cherokee 140 is basically a 2 seater if you take full fuel). The C152 is far more delicate in its handling and if most of your flying is under 2000AGL would be better for ground observation. A 20 minute checkflight was all that was required to go solo in the C152 (now the Aerobat version really is great fun!)

As they say, 'you like what you know'. I bought a Warrior - primarily because I like to sit in the sun, regularly take the family along and at 191cm need all the extra space.

Gerhardt
23rd Sep 2005, 04:08
dang, this is the first time I've been flamed on here and I'd like to say that it feels good... but it doesn't.

When I said the Warrior was spin resistant I was explaining what I'd thought I'd learned while doing a few hundred stalls. It just doesn't want to spin without the pilot trying to make it do so. I didn't realize that there was a formal "spin resistant" designation or I would have phrased what I said differently. Sorry about that folks. If I had to do it over again I would have said that the Warrior will not enter into a spin nearly as easy as a 152.